The 33 most streamed 60s albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJD, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

A cover version by Marmalade hit number one in the UK.

Mainline461 likes this.
  2. dmiller458

A recording may be released as a part of an album; but wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the recording was made as a part of a session?

MJD likes this.
  3. dmiller458

Predicting the future works both ways.

4. dmiller458

I think a lot of this conversation is happening at cross-purposes. Folks can correct me if I'm wrong: I think that when some talk about the album as an entity, they mean an artistic one; while MJD's post seems to be speaking strictly from a commercial viewpoint.

And I don't think that sports works as an analogy for music...

ian christopher likes this.
  5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Sure, but the data from Spotify strongly suggest that come the Summer of 2019 Aftermath and Electric Ladyland will no longer be in the top 10 and that at least one, possibly both, of Sgt Pepper and Help will have replaced them.

According to OP's own website the accumulated total for Aftermath in December 2016 was 150 million, an increase of 180 million in the 23 months since, or an average of 7.8 million per month. The accumulated total for Help in March 2017 was 119 million, an increase of 195 million since, or an average of 10.2 million per month. The accumulated total for SGT Pepper in March 2017 was 90.4 million, an increase of 213 million since, or an average of 11.2 million per month.

It should also be noted that the Beatles have pretty much maintained their Spotify ranking, dropping from 113th 2 years ago to 115th today, with 15.5 unique monthly listeners while Hendrix has 5.7 million monthly listeners and dropped from 374th to 482nd while the Stones have 12.2 million monthly listeners and dropped from 131st to 172nd. Simply put it is inevitable that SGT Pepper and Help will overtake Aftermath at some point in 2019.

The data backs my prediction up and if OP had done a similar list 12 and 24 months ago he would have realized this as every Beatles album on his list has gone up rather than down.

6. dmiller458

But unless you can travel through time...

7. MJD

MJD Forum Resident Thread Starter

As I said to the remaining members that never ever used a streaming platform but want to dictate how it should be interpreted, feel free to go out and tell the RIAA that they don't understand their industry. If you think you get it better than people working on it or that your personal music consumption should be used to define the global stardard, that's nice.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm out.

MJD likes this.
  9. MJD

It's good to use data, why don't you highlight all facts from it though? Also, why don't you use the real ones rather than making some up?

As you said, in March 2017 Help was on 119 million while Pepper was on 90 million. So Help! was running more than 30% faster than Pepper. Yet, Pepper climbed more during the last 18 months. You just ended to demonstrate that Pepper was temporarily boosted by its 2017 reissue, something I pointed out earlier. A realistic calculation for its organic increase in the future is Help!'s raise weighted as per their former pace as unlike Pepper, Help hasn't got a temporary boost in-between. Help increases 10,2m per month (according to you, more on that below), giving the former 119/90 ratio, Pepper should then get a monthly pace of 7,7 million. That is a figure which competes with Aftermath's pace, which happen to be organically higher as figures you posted show.

Speaking about Aftermath, it has gone from 149 million to 339 million which is an increase of 190 million or 8,3 million per month. Then, you calculated Beatles' averages using 19 months while you used 23 for the Stones. March 2 2016 is less than 3 months after December 3 2016. Using 20 months rather than 19 gives averages of 9,75 and 10,65 for Help and Pepper, respectively.

So, are you still sticking to your point that "data backs" that "it is inevitable that SGT Pepper and Help will overtake Aftermath at some point in 2019"? You can wish it, it can even happen, but your sentence is inevitably incorrect, if you see what I mean.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  10. MJD

I can agree with that.

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The Top 4 is very surprising here.

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The singles listenership = album-'streams' angle is misleading, though, for this whole 'chart'.

As others have already pointed out...

People sought out those particular most-listened-to songs; not those particular albums that they happened to be grouped onto.

13. dmiller458

In my own opinion, I'm one of the biggest DBs on this forum. But even when you're right, you don't have to be such a d***** in your replies. Americans are already under the impression that the French are a bunch of ***holes. Please don't add to it.

Imagine70 likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

step up your game :tiphat:

dmiller458 likes this.
  15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Are you sure the OP is French anyway?

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think Diana's version was in 1970 so it wouldnt make it here, the list is ok, kind of feels like a Big Chill soundtrack

17. dmiller458

About us - ChartMasters

That's what it says on his website. I see no reason to think that he lied.

18. mr. suit

mr. suit Well-Known Member

yeah, but you assign all of a player's career points to the team that drafted him -- regardless of what team he was actually playing for when the 40 points were scored. see?

Imagine70 likes this.
  19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Queen is now in 33rd place.

20. dmiller458

But a game is played and then its over. They don't continue racking up points in the same game over months and years. As I said it's not a proper analogy to music. A game is closer to a concert as its a live performance. But the only "score" kept at a concert is ticket sales.

A sports superstar can retire, but the team continues. You mentioned Michael Jordan; the Bulls are still the Bulls. But we would never be able to accept four random musicians calling themselves the Beatles out touring and recording not matter how talented they were.

21. dmiller458

This thread is about albums from the 60s.

notesfrom likes this.
  22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

OK, I did not even know that there was a Diana Ross presents the Jackson 5 LP.

There are some album related anomalies that can’t be overcome with this method of analysis.

Really can’t measure an album by a least played cut. White album and Revolution Number 9? Count me out for example. But since Revolution No. 9 is on the album and probably is not played very much, that would bring down the whole White Album.

23. dmiller458

Just because some newb is hearing it for the first time doesn't mean that the song wasn't already a big hit before it was used in a movie.

SG47 likes this.
  24. dmiller458

The world really is going to heck in a handbasket.

25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

And the Beatles have 9 of the top 33 and the top 2 and have only been available since Dec 24, 2015 about 3 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.