The Abyss Gets A Blu-ray Release Date

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mdm08033, Jul 27, 2016.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Did JC fix any of the Abyss fx?

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Caught some of this on SD TV recently.
    It displayed in the correct ratio and looked better than the DVD version.

3. alexpop

The DVD I have to max zoom 2 ( still lettered boxed).

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes i do a similar zoom on the DVD..........but the TV version was still better.

5. alexpop

Have plasma ..trying to eliminate any burn.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The HD version that is aired from time to time is pretty good, but where is that 4K Blu-Ray?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

First time I ever watched a movie twice, back to back.

8. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Still waiting for the Blu Ray of the Abyss and True Lies, hopefully soon maybe 4K UHD also.

mdm08033 likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm still waiting for that first cut HD version to be broadcast in Canada by any channel. I still can't believe that there are two Cameron movies that have never seen a Blu Ray release when there is so much f-grade garbage being released in that format.

dbsea and Quadboy like this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Garbage IS the taste of the day.

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

They've been showing on AMC what appears to be a new transfer of True Lies, which usually happens when a release is upcoming. We can hope that means the Blu-ray isn't far away.

John K.

mdm08033 likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Problem is it's on AMC which means all the naughty language is cleaned up, one of the other movie channels up here showed the uncut version last month, it's on the DVR, it looks decent enough.

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, I noticed they also cut out some of the violence.

John K.

14. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

I’ll believe this when we I see it, never mind Cameron’s tendency to wash everything in teal coloring. We’ll probably see T1 with the mono and a proper master of T2 before The Abyss & True Lies ever hit HD. I’d love to be wrong.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The staff at Lowry Digital worked on Terminator 2, True Lies, The Abyss, and Avatar, so they're all ready to go in HD and 4K as far as I know. Now, they'd have to go back and redo the 4K for 4K HDR. I have no idea why they've sat on the HD masters of True Lies for so long -- I watched some of the finished material back in 2011.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"T2" came out on 4K UHD last month, but it wasn't well-received due to excessive "grain scrubbing" and an altered palette - it's way more teal than it used to be...

17. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

Cameron has been weathering a LOT of criticisms of teal washing in his recent releases, though doesn’t bother me quite as much as the inexcusable omission of the mono on T1. Apparently we’re never getting a decent remaster of T2, unless both are forthcoming to coincide with the release of Tim Miller’s new movie, which I doubt. I’d really, really like definitive releases so I can FINALLY get rid of my Ultimate, Extreme, Skynet editions of T2 and the vintage extras on my T1 DVD, but I’m not holding my breath.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I felt more bothered by the "teal washing" of "T2" than others, probably because I've seen the movie so much - the change of colors stands out to me more than it would for a movie I know less well.

The 2015 BD is my go-to "T2" - it's the most "natural" seeming of the bunch...

19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

T2 has been broadcast in HD countless times on British television the last few years; I'm presuming that's the Lowry Digital HD transfer, it looks absolutely spectacular... is there a difference between an HD transfer and a Blu ray transfer?

20. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Is the 2015 BD and the 2009 BD Skynet Edition of the same transfer/mastering? Thanks.

21. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Is the 2015 BD and the 2009 BD Skynet Edition of the same transfer/mastering? Thanks.

Sorry Colin, I finally read your info on your DVD Movie Guide and got my answer!

Oatsdad likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, one and the same. One thing to bear in mind: the director is not a fan of film grain, so most of his film projects have been scrubbed clean to look "almost digital." Purists may not like that look.

Yep, it precisely reflects the creative direction of the filmmakers.

23. Cameron should visit an optician, either that or he has such a bad taste that he destroys his past masterwork movies.
    The New UHD BD of Terminator 2 looks atrocious, I got it on the post last Monday (I ordered the US version) and I couldn't believe my eyes, it looks like cheap HD digital video. I read on blu-ray.com forums that this release was bad but I didn't expect it to be SO BAD.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just got it myself but have been too busy to look it. One problem with noise reduction and enhancement and all that stuff is that the knobs almost literally go to "11," and left unchecked, bad things can happen when bad creative choices are made. But this was now Lowry Digital's fault -- they provided the service the client asked for.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. I didn't know the new "restoration" was done by Lowry Digital, actually, I tought the OCN was no longer in the US being StudioCanal the owner of the movie. I assumed that such a mean job was not done in the US but somewhere in Europe.