The Affair -- new show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by norman_frappe, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why not? I'm surprised there isn't an Aussie in there somewhere! :D

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I had never seen Ruth Wilson before the pilot episode of Luther, but I was an immediate fan, she's a powerhouse. And yes, she's extremely sexy...it's as much her attitude and personality as her looks.

In regards to the British actors in the series. The show was filmed on Long Island, I have a feeling you're liable to find quite a number of British and Canadian actors going to auditions in New York every day. I would wager it's a coincidence in this case.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

100 percent agreement.

chrischerm, agentalbert and Hawkeye like this.
  4. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I agree with you both. I think I first saw her on the Prisoner remake then Luther. I consider Luther a shining star in a universe of mediocre TV shows. Haven't seen the Affair yet, but I have it DVR'd.

5. Lonson

Dang, you just made me order the The Prisoner remake dvd set. :)

And yes, I also think that highly of Luther.

chrischerm likes this.
  6. progrocker71

Excellent series so far.

7. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

WIllie Nelson did the same thing over 40 years ago with his PHASES AND STAGES album during his Atlantic Records tenure.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Well, at least now we know who the victim is
    Scotty Lockhart
    unless there is more than one.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's very well acted and the developments are interesting in what is added or left out, depending on a person's point of view. It's a unique story telling structure which I hope isn't copied by other shows as it would become old pretty soon. The only gripe I had with this ep was the appearance of flakey mother with her stupid woo energy/vibrations crap.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

still looking forward to why she cut her hair and looks so differently during the police interviews. i know that they said she lives in the city..........it will be interesting as to why, where, when, how, and who.

11. agentalbert

She looks like she has money now. Like maybe she's inherited a cut of a $30 million ranch sale.

12. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Actually, I found the mother quite beautifully written. What started out as a caricature developed into something far more nuanced. And the actress was excellent.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What's particularly interesting about the show, so far, is that we have never had a reliable narrator. So we don't know if we have the truth about ANYTHING. I presume that scenes in the present tense with the interrogator are to be considered reliable. But again, it's possible that even those scenes are recollections by the principals from sometime further in the future. Those scenes all feature the presumptive narrator, so there's no assurance of their veracity.

It's worth pointing out that some of the scenes don't stand up to scrutiny within the premise. For example, why would the woman's recollections to the cop include the shuffling of envelopes of cash--which we see, which means it's part of her story--but the detective doesn't follow up on those?

I expect at some point we will get someone else's recollections, which may help in understanding how much of our understanding of the story is actually correct.

As for the mom...Yes, she's annoying. And it could have been played as a stock annoying mom character. I worried that this might be another variation on Alica's mom on The Good Wife, for example--quirky, brash and annoying, and played for comic relief. But I felt they played that character with a little more nuance than that.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

By my guess, it must be at least 7 or 8 years later -- and maybe more. When Noah was talking on the phone during a break from the interrogation, he was talking to Trevor about his thesis. Trevor looks to be about 10 years old - give or take. So even if it's some sort of high school senior year thesis, it'd be at least 6, 7, 8 years older -- or more if it's a college or grad school thesis.

Deesky likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's a good point and somehow I'd missed that. So, then, this would be the investigation, by the detective, of a cold case with a new lead.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That was my assumption as well...assuming I'm right about the timeline. But that's two assumptions and few facts...

The phone conversation happened in the episode before last night's...it caught my attention because there hasn't been any other reference to dial in a timeline except that she has a child and a more "mature" hairstyle. And I couldn't remember which son was Trevor, but then Trevor was on last night's episode.

The cop is obviously playing both of them because he said he was divorced to one of them and happily married to the other.

17. agentalbert

Yes, very good catch. I missed that as well. Has he called Alison by her last name? Is she still "Mrs. Lockhart"? I haven't noticed different, but now I'm wondering. We're just now halfway through, so there is still a lot to reveal.

Is this a one season thing or is it meant to go on beyond this season? I hope not. I hope this is complete and wrapped up, like True Detective.

18. Lonson

I think I remember seeing it was an eight series event.

You are right about the timeline being much later. I remember she said she had to get home to a kid or children, and he was talking to Trevor about his thesis. A lot of time has passed. And I wouldn't have thought the victim is who it was revealed. Going to be an interesting second half.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the reveal of the character who was killed wasn't probably on most people's top 3 list.

That said, remember that we have no idea of how seriously Noah or Alison REALLY were involved with the person who was killed. For example, NOAH's story claimed he was invited to go out on the boat and refused. But is that really what happened? The way that interaction was recollected seemed off to me. The guy stops and by the time AAA shows up he's asking you to go on the boat for the night AND then he shows up at your house a little while later. That whole narrative did not ring true to me.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think I can provide and explanation for that. Think about when you re-tell a story to someone. You have the movie playing in your mind with full details, but you don't necessarily mention every single detail - you edit what you say for various reasons.

The same thing could be at play here, we're privy to the movie playing inside her mind, but she may not be revealing every single detail to the detective.

Alternatively, it's not in the detective's interest to follow up on possible gotcha moments straight away. It's better for him to give her enough rope and then, later, reel her in when a more incriminating narrative is established (if it does).

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Showtime has renewed The Affair for another season.

progrocker71 likes this.
  22. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Yep, when I first saw Ruth Wilson on "Luther", I said "ooh-la-la !". She's not a perfect beauty, but she is very sexy

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

He calls her "Miss Bailey"...

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Must be married to Danny. Or Bernie Taupin.

25. progrocker71

Renewed by Showtime for a second season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.