The Affair -- new show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by norman_frappe, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no way....paul mccartney would win going away.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or McCartney's Bip Bop.

And or Bob Weir solo slipping back into the ocean wearing short short jean cutoffs.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I think it's fantastic: eerie, unconventional and very brief. How many theme songs can come up with intriguing lyrical twists in roughly 60 seconds? The first time I heard it, I thought it was a "rule breaker" for a tv theme, but I also consider Fiona Apple a "rule breaking" artist, in general (a good thing, IMO). If you want something more "standard", there have been thousands of shows with more mundane openings, featuring bland lyrics and predictable instrumentation - this theme is anything but that. :righton:

DigMyGroove and Scott222C like this.
  4. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Not sure if this comment would be considered a spoiler, but
    I knew that old man was going to turn heel... a-hole!

Humbuster likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What would you have expected... The wife wanted her gone and he wasn't going to destroy his marriage for her...

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

At least he didn't take her out to the woods and pretend to shoot her like the dog :shh:

7. jmobrien68

The poor girl really opened up to him and spilled her guts and he responds by getting a boner? Class act!

8. jmobrien68

And the Joshua Jackson sex scene was hilarious!

9. Mickrogers75

Mickrogers75 Well-Known Member

any ideas on what the lawyer got at the end of the show from the guy in the diner??

10. jmobrien68

That guy was Oscar. My guess is that it is something that implicates Cole in the murder of his brother.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Well, she was opening up to him about how she met Noah and the electricity when he kissed her and how she couldn't say no, all while rubbing his thigh. And the guy already had an attraction to her. He recognized he needed to get away from her and did so. So I wouldn't hold the involuntary response against him too much.

Besides, Allison's version of events frequently has her assuming a victim like role. Look how different her version of her meeting with Cole was (when he came out to the cabin) versus his. I have a feeling when we see their sexual liason back in Montauk from her perspective, it will be very different from what we got from him. Who knows which is right?

12. jmobrien68

Yeah... you're right... good point.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep 6 was pretty amazing with so many developments and fine performances. However, my favorite part was Helen's story. Maura Tierney's performance was all kinds of awesome, absolutely mesmerizing. Great stuff!

wayneklein and DigMyGroove like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree. And I was thinking about how this and the previous episode stand out because they are almost entirely about moving the story forward, and very little about duplicate narrations of the same event.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I was glad that when it shifted to Noah last night, it was at least after everything with the kid was settled. While I like the show, quite often I feel like my patience is wearing thin, and when it first showed him waking up, I thought I was going to have to suffer through the same day (Noah taking kids to ballgame, kid going to hospital) from his perspective. I'm glad they moved forward a bit. Still, I wish they would move forward faster.

16. jmobrien68

Oh my god... I cannot ever love someone more than I love Maura Tierney.
    Thanks for letting me get that off my chest... it helped.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I had a slight chuckle when she entered the hospital ER and didn't seem to know where to go or what to do. :)

18. jmobrien68

Awwww... Abby... :love:

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My impression was that the writers wanted us to believe she wasn't accustomed to anything less than concierge service...

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My impression is that Helen knows who killed Cole's brother (or thinks she knows), and that it's someone closely related to her (Helen herself, that business guy she slept with, one of her kids or one of her parents) but not Noah. Nothing else would seem to explain (at this point) her willingness to pay whatever it takes to get Noah exonerated

One thing I don't quite get is why Noah can't pay for all of this. Supposedly his second book was a hit and they optioned the movie rights. Not to mention whatever (substantial) cash that Allison got from the sale of that property she shared with Cole.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That's an interesting thought re: Helen. However I just assumed that she was doing it simply because he is the father of their children and she doesn't want them to have a convicted felon as a father.

Re: Noah's ability to pay...yeah I kinda wondered the same thing, but I thought maybe I missed something or was off on the timeline.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That makes sense.

I thought he was still at the advance stage from the publisher, of which he gets paid in installments, so he doesn't have access to the full lump-sum. Same deal with the movie rights - it's still an unrealized future prospect.

If I recall, the property was a bust because it had been re-mortgaged several times, so they would have been lucky to break even on the sale.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Maybe you're right about the book and the movie option. I guess I just inferred that they were already living well based on that nice place they had with the daughter when the police came to call. But it wouldn't take a fortune to live like that...

I thought that it was only Cole's mom's property that was mortgaged to the hilt. Supposedly there was a lot of money still in Cole/Allison's property--money that Cole's brother wanted to use to buy The End. (And that scummy business guy that Allison slept with is presumably the NY money man who is offering to buy The End with Cole's brother...anothing sign that we're not done with him yet...)

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, there was some money there, but I didn't get the sense that it was a large amount. You don't need to have the full amount to purchase a business, only enough to convince a creditor to give you a loan and that the business will be profitable.

25. jmobrien68

So... I'm gonna get a little soapy here... is it noah's or cole's baby?

mdm08033 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.