The AFGHAN WHIGS to reissue GENTLEMEN

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rupe33, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member Thread Starter

This news from Lurssen Mastering's twitter feed, posted on 27 June 2014:

[​IMG]

black sheriff and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

One year too late for a 20th anniversary;) Incidentally I thought about it only this morning: Why doesn't Sub Pop rerelease the earlier stuff on vinyl? A deluxe "Congregation" with "Uptown Avondale" as bonus 12". The market is there, isn't it?

3. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Agreed. I would buy a special edition rerelease of 'Congregation' in a heartbeat. They could include a second disc/LP of 'Uptown' or some of their early Motown covers. That'd be awesome.

That said, I'll probably check out the 'Gentlemen' remaster. For it being their first album on a major label, I felt they stayed true to their roots on it.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Woah. Looking forward to this...

5. I just purchased an original pressing, but this is still good news. I expect they will re-release everything since touring is going so well.

6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This isn't really in reference to vinyl though but I'd imagine that might happen as well. Hopefully, they do a master specially for vinyl, preferably all analog but as long as it is done well, that is what matters most.

Thanks for sharing.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

That would be the fifth vinyl (re)issue, right? Sub Pop US original, Mute UK original with bonus 12", German Elektra original and Highspeed Soul reissue. I've got the Mute pressing but MIGHT buy a new remaster if done properly:) Maybe do the first two Twilight Singers next???

Rupe33 likes this.
  8. Guadalahonky

Guadalahonky Forum Resident

I do adore 'Gentlemen' and I've got my tickets for a Whigs club date in August, and I know every word on the record, but I just don't hear the love for 'Black Love' on this forum.

Has no one here cranked up the volume on the final tracks, 'Summer's Kiss' & 'Faded' and rocked out until the sounds of subway cars and sleigh bells? So powerful and so satisfying.

jrmitchell72, DreamIsOver and Rupe33 like this.
  9. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I would definitely welcome some Twilight Singers reissues on vinyl! I only have Powder Burns and Dynamite Steps.

10. Listen really close Guadalahonky: I heart Black Love!

I have the HiSpeed Soul version. I'd dig a better one. I believe it's a digital recording though, so all analogue might be out of the question.

11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Hear it here as well! I LOOOOOVE BLACK LOVE! Killer, killer album. The new MOV Reissue is really well done IMHO, but I also only had the CD to compare it to.

Rupe33 likes this.
  12. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Love Black Love. I was aware of the Whigs before that but Honky's Ladder made me a believer.

Rupe33 likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

"Black Love"? Bought it on CD :)() when it came out and used it as soundtrack for endless nightdrives through the city in the summer of 1996. I liked it but thought it wasn't as coherent as "Gentlemen". This is why I never got it on vinyl after I sold my CD(s) in 2002...and I've seen it countless times.

Need to revisit it badly and plan to get the MOV reissue. Because there is no way I'm going to pay more than 20, 25€ for an original copy.

14. Guadalahonky

Guadalahonky Forum Resident

Good to hear the Black love, cheers.

'Sing along with me,
    And put on your rose fur coat, baby
    It's 1973'

waterisnat, Brian Gupton and Rupe33 like this.
  15. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

From what I gather, remasters are considered the devil and should only be bought when the original releases are too expensive or hard to find. :laugh:

16. Neonbeam

Here we go again:( Did you hear the recent Blur remasters? Sometimes it makes sense to take something that was squeezed onto two sides of vinyl in the 90's and stretch it over four sides. The Blur remasters - at least up to "Great Escape" - don't sound better or worse... they sound different and give you a new listening perspective. If a new vinyl version of "Gentlemen" would do that there would be nothing wrong with it!

17. RomanBlade

You're talking about records but I was talking about CDs. So will there be a CD remaster?

18. Neonbeam

Wrong question, should be: Will there be a VINYL REMASTER? ;) "Gentlemen" on double vinyl in gatefold would be nice....

19. RomanBlade

Well, as someone that doesn't have a record player... I will be however buying a Emotiva ERC-3 CD player so it's only CDs for me I'm afraid.

20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Got no problem with the original Bob Ludwig CD. Been looking for the Sub Pop vinyl since 1994! Never seen a copy. But I do have the Blast First.

21. calijawn

calijawn Active Member

Rumor has it that Greg Dulli has acquired the rights to all of the Whigs pre-Sony back catalog... if so, my guess is that we'll eventually see remasters (save Big Top Halloween) issued through Sub Pop on various formats including vinyl.

22. Neonbeam

That would be nice. Especially since "Congregation" never had a domestic vinyl release. No idea what Sub Pop was thinking, this is 1992 and the only vinyl version comes from German Glitterhouse.

23. Neonbeam

Never seen the Sub Pop either. According to this great site - see my post in "All Things Afghan Whigs" - the rarest and most expensive vinyl of "Gentlemen" is the... German Elektra?! While the UK version has come down in price. Totally don't get that, I've had the German pressing it is just your standart anonymous early 90's EU pressing while the UK was cut at Porky's and has a bonus 12". Collectors....

Just ordered the "Gentlemen" book from the 33 1/3 series. Has anyone read it?

24. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes - it is one of the VERY BEST entries in this series if you prefer the books about the making of an album. This and the Neutral Milk Hotel one are tops for learnin' me a whole mess about the bands and circumstances of the recordings.

Also - as the original poster, I have no further info about whether the remastering referred to on Lurssen's behalf was for CD, vinyl, cassette, 8-track... no indicators yet. Hopefully all options will be available!

25. Well, my original pressing of "Gentleman" arrived. Looks like I got totally ripped off. I paid close to $100 for a minty SubPop release. When it arrived, it was a crappy European Elektra release that Discogs lists on the high end at $40 (I wouldn't have paid squat for it).

I have a hard time believing the seller didn't know the difference since the cover is totally different. I've asked for my money back, minus $20. I paid via PayPal. Should I dispute the transaction with them or does Discogs allow me to do that thru them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.