The AFGHAN WHIGS to reissue GENTLEMEN

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rupe33, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

Here's what I have in iTunes as "Gentlemen B-Sides"

Ready
    Rot [BBC Radio]
    I Keep Coming Back [BBC Radio]
    Tonight [BBC Radio]
    Mr. Superlove
    Dark End of the Street
    Little Girl Blue
    What Jail Is Like (live)
    Now You Know (live)
    My World Is Empty Without You / I Hear a Symphony (live)
    Revenge (John Peel Show, Recorded February 22, 1994)
    Easily Persuaded (John Peel Show, Recorded February 22, 1994)
    My Curse (John Peel Show, Recorded February 22, 1994)

rbichamp likes this.
  2. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Anyone think the $21 Brooklyn show that is about to go on sale will feature a special set list? Would they play all of Gentlemen for the 21st anniversary?

3. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member Thread Starter

Stands to reason - Dulli has done it before with Twilight Singers playing Blackberry Belle front to back.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The half a set I caught at Bumbershoot 2 weeks ago was really good. Had to split the set with 2 other acts.

5. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I am so in on the lp Gentleman. Me and the Mrs. going Tuesday to see them in Nashville. Saw them in Memphis at the Orpheum, my favorite show of all time. Drove to N. Orleans a couple years later to see the show at House of Blues, got cancelled because of, IIRC, a mishap in Texas. The Mrs. has never even heard anything by them-not a big music fan outside of 70s dance and Christian Pop-should be interesting.

6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

You're a cruel man. ;) -E

bhasenstab likes this.
  7. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

No, I'm a Gentleman. Seriously, she doesn't even listen to the dance music anymore. I hope she chills out a bit and has some fun.

8. Jet Age Eric

LOL and good luck! -E

9. Guadalahonky

Guadalahonky Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Whigs were terrific in Omaha on the 5th. They were in top form musically and in regard to Greg's vocals. Below is a shot of their set-list. (Yes, as a matter of fact I was that close to the stage). :)

[​IMG]

The Whigs are playing 1st Ave. in Minneapolis in October and I'm making plans to see them a second time this tour.
    I can't say enough about how I dug their show.

rbichamp likes this.
  10. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I saw them this past Saturday at Riot Fest in Chicago. They and The National on the same bill was too good to pass up. Aside from the kick drum sounding - and feeling - like it was about to rupture along with my heart - it was another killer Whigs show. Too short as they only got 45 minutes. Greg did manage to sneak in a little VH Panama, "Reach down between my legs and ease the seat back..." The new album is great, the band is tight and having fun and Greg's voice is in fine form. They will be back at The Metro next month. Treat yoself and get a ticket!

11. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I'm going to the "21" Brooklyn show on October 5. Saw them in Syracuse in 1999 and in Boston in 2012. Very excited!

12. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Great list! I can add "What Jail Is Like [The Morning Version]" from a promo CD single I have [PRCD 8977-2].

13. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Usher joined them on stage last night at the "21" Brooklyn show to play his song "Climax." It was surreal. I talked to the pro photographer who was there. He said he worked for Sub Pop and was going to submit his pictures with Usher on stage to Rolling Stone for publication. I don't see an article or picture yet.

The show apparently was supposed to end after that. The roadies were packing up the gear, the house lights were on with post show music playing. The crowd was still cheering and suddenly the roadies started to put everything back in place. They came back on and played a couple more songs, including a version of Faded that got cut short because of a fight in the crowd!?!

That didn't ruin things though. The show continued on. The whole night/show was amazing.

Rupe33 likes this.
  14. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

This reissue is supposedly out at vintage vinyl in nj, gonna go check it out

15. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I just preordered this thru amazon.ca for $21...does anyone know if there are multiple versions of the reissued vinyl? I have oly heard about the 3LP version, but there's no way my preorder could be a 3LP.

16. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I believe the version that is being released on Tuesday is just a reissue of the album itself without any bonus material, while the 3LP version is being released for the Black Friday RSD.

17. atl1

atl1 Forum Resident

"J Power" in deadwax (one of the smallest deadwax's ive ever seen too)

Nothing to compare it to but it sounds pretty good

18. Jet Age Eric

Anyone listened to the 24/96 download? I always imagined Gentlemen was made on ADATs or something (just based on the flat-but-clean sound), so I'm wondering if there's a benefit to the hi-res versions. -E

19. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Anybody else get a copy of this reissue on vinyl yet? I may order one, but I do have an original CD copy. Curious to hear other opinions on the new LP and its SQ

20. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Im patiently awaiting the delivery of mine from Amazon.ca...I have the original CD version as well. Really looking forward to this.

21. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Cool. Let us know if you can about it once you've listened

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Wasn't it recorded at Ardent which I'd assume back then was still doing a lot of analog recording. I think that clean sound is a choice made in production, the 80s has too much of it!

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

So are they giving us 48 minutes mastered on 1-lp (welcome back to the late 80s) for $25 and not even all analog? That's a bit steep and hard to imagine it sounding that great. I was looking forward to this albu.

24. Jet Age Eric

I just listened today and, looking at the sleeve, was reminded that it was, indeed, recorded at Ardent. I think I assumed it was recorded at Ultrasuede or something, although I clearly knew the facts at one time. I don't mind a clean recording, but there's something overly manicured about the recording/mix of GM. That, of course, is far outweighed by the content. -E

mikemoon likes this.
  25. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I never considered the playing time and the fact that it's a single LP for the original tracks. I agree that it's not likely that this LP will please the audiophile world. I will likely pass since I already have the original cd copy.

mikemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.