The AFGHAN WHIGS to reissue GENTLEMEN

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rupe33, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I will try. Don't let my situation be the only one to keep you away from purchasing it. Others seem to like it.

Both of the sides kind of had the same problem and I can only relate it to the signal to noise ratio. You can basically hear the lp rotating as it plays (swoosh sound). Also, for the price, the packaging is cheap but that doesn't bother me much since I care more about the music and then sound.

2. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Did you see any familiar markings in the deadwax? Do we even know who remastered and cut this?

3. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I actually do prefer the original US CD over this new vinyl issue.
    The additional material on the 3xLP edition is cool, particularly the demos, but for the album itself, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this recent Rhino vinyl issue.
    I once read a review for the Hi-Speed Soul vinyl issue, from 2011, and it spoke highly of the fidelity.
    I'll see if I can find that review. I've never heard the Hi-Speed Soul pressing, myself, though.

**edit- I found the review that I was referring to:

http://www.tonepublications.com/analogaholic/the-afghan-whigs-gentlemen/

I look forward to mikemoon's comparison notes.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    mikemoon likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I didn't realize their was a recent reissue. I did some quick research on the forum and it seems like the original CD may be the best version of this along with the original vinyl which is likely mastered from the 16/44 files. Maybe the original EU cut is better than the US. I would think this reissue, if analog or high res cut would have a chance to sound even better. This album may be an analog/digital hybrid and the final master is 16/44 regardless, this is just a theory.

Em. likes this.
  5. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Ah, so you've got the Hi-Speed Soul issue, from 2011? Interesting that you weren't impressed with the sound. I think I've read that Hi-Speed Soul uses digital masters, but I have no idea where they have their records pressed, and who does the mastering, etc.

One of these days, I'll pull-out my original US Sub Pop and UK Blast First LPs and do a comparison against one another and also against the original Electra CD, and maybe the recent Rhino vinyl issue.
    It takes a special mood, for me, because those kinds of listening sessions are tedious and have zero to do with enjoying the music.

Pandrew79 likes this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Sorry I phrased that wrong I meant "another recent reissue".

I agree, I don't like doing comparison either. I've only done a few.

7. I have the Hi-Speed Soul version from '11. I'll try to spin it tonight. I don't ever remembering it to be revolutionary though. I recall that I thought the packaging was so-so.

8. I don't mind doing comparisons for you kids. I am no self-righteous expert, but the reason I found this site years back was in search of others' advice on what to pick up. Mike T (I think) inspires me to just be honest without all the audiophile lingo. I don't care about shipping dates & it seems as detailed folks are willing to put themselves out there is to comment on flatness & surface noise because who can argue with that.

So I just did some quick A/B-ing Rega RP6 vs NAD565BEE both run through a McIntosh MA5200. Just to be honest, my ears favor vinyl which I listen to almost exclusively. I am biased, just admitting it.

In a showdown between the Hi-Speed Soul/Rhino reissue from 2011 & the original CD, the vinyl wins...but not by a landslide. The bottom end is most definitely more meaty & 3D. The kick isn't as dominant on the vinyl ( I like the big kick on the CD), but the rest of the kit & cymbals are much less bright. Bass guitar is fuller & deeper. Not surprisingly the vinyl wins here.
    Guitars are less defined on the vinyl, but also much less bright. Easier listen cranked on vinyl, no question. Just muddier in the mix.
    Vocals are tamer & less up front on vinyl.
    Even though I said the sound is not as detailed, the sound-stage is more open.
    I guess the Hi-Speed Soul takes the digital edge off...however in a way, the edge might be tamed too much for those of us whose only medium has been the CD for years.
    Packaging-wise there is a poster of the cover with lyrics, but the fantastic photos from the CD booklet are not reproduced.
    Dynamics, just by eyeing the needles, are similar.
    Oh, & it's flat & mostly quiet.

There is no info on mastering, etc. The dead wax info is hard to make out as there is little runout space. No initials though noting mastering but a U (United).

Hope that helps kids. I know the Blast First is a Porky's cut, & I'd guess superior. My copy retailed for $21 Canadian. Reasonable bang for my buck.

rbichamp, mikemoon and Neonbeam like this.
  9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I really appreciate this review. You did a great and detailed job!

I think I may return mine for another copy, maybe my press was just bad. I should give it another chance. This album is really good and I do want to own a good copy on vinyl. If it doesn't work out, I might seek the Black Fist UK or the HSS reissue. Worst comes to worst, I have the CD.

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Sorry, somehow I missed your question. It was cut by J.Powell. I'm not familiar with the person.

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I decided to try a second copy. My first thought was the signal to noise ratio was better. It was at first but it crept back in. It's not terrible, just more than I'm used to.

Also, since I'm only familiar with this album in the car and I enjoy it in this environment. My car stereo is pretty good but there is no heavy investment there. The sound on this lp is different in that there's what sounds like a "high crashing drum sound" that sounds weird, almost almost like what I think of when people talk about sibilance or maybe some type of distortion. Maybe this is the effect of the cut on my table?

The guitars and vocals sound really good and the bass sits there nicely. The did a good job on the mastering and the pressing quality aside from the amount of time is a really good MPO pressing. I can't help but think if this was cut across 3-lps that this issue would not exist. Maybe I'm wrong...I really like this album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.