The Albums of 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Next year will be 50 years since 1970.
    And 1970 was a fantastic year for albums by.all our favourite artists.

Please discuss your faves and , possibly what expectations you might have for reissues, box sets ,remixes and whatever else strikes your fancy.

1970 was a special year for me. I was just really starting to get into music and what a great trip it's been.

And! Don!t hesitate to mention all the incredible 45s from that year as well.

2. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

I'm not sure if it could be said to "define" the next few years because it wasn't all that popular, but boy did the eponymous Elton John album predict the next few years of the singer-songwriter genre. There are some tremendous hidden gems on there: No Shoestrings on Louise, First Episode at Hienton, etc. And in true Elton form, Tumbleweed Connection came out just a few months later. I can only imagine what it was like to experience that in real-time. If you thought that was a lot for 1970, imagine what it felt like in '72-'73.

Along those same lines, After the Goldrush. It seems like the rightful heir to the post-Buffalo Springfield era, with the eponymous debut and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere sounding little like his work up to that date (and the eponymous debut sounding like nothing since then).

Since we're on Springfield...I wasn't around to see the Stephen Stills debut album. But with appearances from Ringo Starr and Hendrix, you could hardly be blamed for considering his career the true bright light of the Buffalo Springfield stage. Who would've thought that the debut solo album would be the end of the Stills golden era rather than the beginning?

The Velvets bowing out with the last Lou Reed album, Loaded. Certainly a harbinger of things to come, but not without the misstep of the self-titled Lou Reed solo album. That course would be quickly corrected by Transformer only a few months later, which of course was again derailed by Berlin the next year.

There are simply too many records to mention in one post. Zeppelin III, The Plastic Ono Band, Band of Gypsies, Gasoline Alley...truly a remarkable year in music.

Crimson Witch and mlew like this.
  3. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Don't you ever use "Search" before you start a thread??? Every thread you have done has an previous open thread you could have just added your comments onto! This one is no exception either:
    Favorite album of 1970
    Top 10 albums 1970
    All you are doing is cluttering up the forum. Please look before you post yet another thread.

milankey likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'd like a set of complete Syd Barrett sessions for Madcap Laughs and Barrett.

astro70, kendo, footlooseman and 3 others like this.
  5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Funny thing is both previous threads were started by the same user.

astro70, footlooseman, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Yeah, because it's such a paragon of streamlined organization.

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Moody Blues, A Question of Balance

9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Layla
    Let It Be
    Live at Leeds
    Ya Yas

RogerB, savemenow, Gramps Tom and 3 others like this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

11. Wildest cat from montana

Thank you for your comment.
    I am not simply asking what your top 10 albums of 1970 or favourite albums of 1970 are . I am attempting to engage in a new discussion about what you and others may like to see in the form of reissues, box sets etc to celebrate the 50th anniversary of release.
    There are many fairly new members on this forum and maybe they too would like to engage in this.
    Is any thread truly ' new ' ?
    I was reading the forum policies and rules and was under the impression that revival of old threads was frowned on and it was suggested a new one be started. Perhaps I interpreted that incorrectly. Perhaps not.

agaraffa, ralphb, Man at C&A and 5 others like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Ha!

xilef regnu and Fullbug like this.
  13. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I wasn't paying close attention until I saw your post....that s--t is funny!

Dude running a triple game on us...lol:biglaugh:

14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Every thread has been done a million times, it’s gonna be ok I promise.

ralphb, savemenow, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  15. RedRoseSpeedway

I second this motion.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

Bridge Over Troubled Water is my favorite from 1970. It was a hit at the Grammys too! What an album.

17. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Expanded YaYas, with more shows from the 1969 tour, including, dare I say it. . . Altamont. I have said this before, but I loved the way the Stones were playing on that tour. I believe they peaked musically in November, December, 1969, although they were playing great in 1973 at times.
    There's already been a deluxe Layla and Leeds, so no need for that, and Let it Be has been mauled and molested and stripped within an inch of its life.

18. Wildest cat from montana

You second that E-motion.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  19. RedRoseSpeedway

Sure!

20. Wildest cat from montana

Hey , oil man...I just wanted to thank you again for that Dion ' Your Own Backyard' video you posted recently.
    Damn , and I mean damn , that has really got a hold on me and I am not saying that lightly.
    Cheers, mate.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

What an album indeed! My absolute fave. However, I am not expecting any kind of reissue/ box set salute. I just don't think there's anything left in the box. I hope I'm wrong.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

That bit in 'Gimme Shelter ' where they show Mick and the boys watching that guy get stabbed disturbs me.
    And I would imagine that any idea or plan to release that concert would be nixed.

23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I agree, big Stones fan here but I really like the 1969 Stones the best. They still hit new highs in 71 and the 72 tour, Taylor was on fire.

24. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Worst song ever written, the year 2525...ugh, I hated that song when I was kid 1970. :laugh:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  25. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

As far as I'm concerned, every thread on this forum can be about that under-rated year 1970!!
    We see how 1969 is held in such high regard, and that's great. But I have a feeling that the
    under-appreciated year of 1970 will not get its proper attention next year. So I'm all for
    Priming the Pump!!

Great debuts by bands/artists like J. Geils, Todd Rundgren, Black Sabbath,
    Funkadelic, Dave Mason, etc.

Excellent albums by established artists such as Led Zeppelin (III), Johnny Winter AND,
    Poco ( self-titled) , Mountain ( Climbing), the Who ( Live Leeds ), James Gang ( Rides Again ),
    Allman Bros. ( Idlewild South ), Eric Clapton ( solo and Derek ), Chicago ( II ), etc.

Great singles by Free, Guess Who, Jackson 5, Rare Earth, Temptations, Santana, Blues Image, etc.

In some ways, the music of Woodstock became more influential and appreciated in 1970 when the
    movie was released. It raised the bar in how rock bands had to PERFORM LIVE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.