The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Feb 8, 2015.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

[​IMG]

Ok, this should've been on the back cover of Win, Lose or Draw.

2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Wow - never seen that photo before. But no Butch, right? Don't know who that other dude is....

Rose River Bear likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I thought the same thing but that could be Butch to the left of Dickey. Kind of hard to tell due to the angle of the picture. But I've seen pictures of Butch with hats like that before.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's Chuck Leavell.

Black Widow and Rose River Bear like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

Butch is there :)

L-R:

Butch w/hat, Chuck (you only see his head/profile), Lamar, Gregg, Dickey, Jaimoe.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Myke

The 1975 lineup. Imagine that. :imwithstupid:

pool_of_tears likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

Dang! May she rest in peace.

8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks for the review. I'm late to the party on this thread but I was fortunate enough to see a gig in this run of shows back in March of 1992 at the Beacon, so this release was going to be a "must buy" for me no matter what. I took my dad as a gift actually and we had good seats (roughly 15 rows back, audience right). I always thought the show was killer and the release helped me prove that I wasn't crazy :)!

Not to be a downer but given the quality of the performances I find the CDs to be WAY too compressed/loud. I have a needle drop but of course the LP is not the complete show as given on the CDs (I wonder why they did that?). I'd read a single review of the HD download was as compressed as the CDs. Did anyone reading this thread happen to get the download and can confirm? I'd just really love to have this whole show with better mastering.

9. Myke

From Devon's FB page :

Hello

My Mom lost her battle yesterday. I am profoundly just... wrecked. I apologize but I am postponing the December tour until next spring / summer and taking a few months off to heal, deal, and sort her affairs. We are shell shocked, mind blown and heart shattered. My sister, Katie, and I want to thank everyone around the globe for the support. For now we just need some privacy. I debated about wether to share my open love letter to my Mom with the world....and I have decided to. If it inspires one soul out there to embrace their parents more, hold their kids tighter or repair any type of estrangement, then my vulnerability of sharing this will have a purpose. One love. See y'all in the spring. Devon and Katie.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Mom,

I hope you know how proud I am of you. How deeply I love you and how cavernous the feeling is of knowing I will never look into your eyes again. It was you and me against the world when I was a kid. We never had it easy. But you always smiled. Most think being an Allman is what got me into music. Nope......My Mama is.

You bought me vinyl records on a shoestring budget. You knew they were like GOLD to me. When we had nothing, and had one bedroom apartments, you slept on the couch and gave me the sole bedroom. At one point you worked 2 jobs AND went to night school. You were always trying to better yourself. Also, you introduced my ears and my soul to the Beatles, Stones, Santana and beyond. You literally gave me the keys to the universe.

You allowed me to go to heavy metal arena concerts when NO ONE would let their kids go with me. You knew it was the equivalent, in a cultural and artistic sense, of going to an art musesum. You were progressive, before ANYONE was progressive. You also instilled in me a deep love for the beautiful creatures that roam this planet and absolutely were the cornerstone of inspiration for me to choose vegetarianism.

You inspired others immensely, you loved profoundly, you lived out loud. You were truly the epitome of "one in a million." You touched many many souls and you took better care of Katie and I than even yourself.

I watched you slip away today. Never has my heart been more broken. Never. I am in shock. I am numb. I am furious. I am lost in the middle of the woods crying under a tree.

When I was little you lightheartedly said "Son ....what would ya do without me!" as you winked. The thought always made me turn from the lighthearted to serious ....I always replied... "Mama I would sit under a tree and just cry."

I am sitting under that tree. Dance with stars. Float with angels. Be free. Be love. Be light. You were the best damn Mama and I will miss you....for the rest of my life.

Your little wabbit, your son, your number one,

Dev

pool_of_tears, ARK, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Very nice tribute. It was hard to read, I can imagine impossible to write.

ARK, Rose River Bear and Myke like this.
  11. Myke

It's especially hard when your Mom is cool. Mine was a lot like that.

pool_of_tears and ARK like this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I admit the CD of Play All Night is really loud. I have not heard the HD download. Thanks for reading the review and commenting! :)

jhm likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

Same here.

Four and a half years later, the hole is still there, for me...not fixable. Sounds like Devon had a cool mom.

14. Rose River Bear

RIP Butch.

[​IMG]

superstar19, jhm, drgn95 and 4 others like this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

It is. I remember it, & just remembered to go back. Frank did a helluva job on this.

old school likes this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Frank, great rundown & review. Love this record & the new RTI "Friday Records" reissue. Friday gets their fair share of heat, but this was a very well made reissue. Had the original cd, glad I picked this up. Beats the cd. Well balanced - & nice midrange.

18. old school

old school Senior Member

RRB always does a great job on his album by album threads. I really enjoyed Frank's Megadeth ABA it was brilliant also.

Rose River Bear and Clanceman like this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Just listened all the way through the first ever vinyl release of this album by MOV.

Damn, did they do one helluva job. Sounds fantastic. Highly recommend to those that play vinyl to pick this up immediately. Beautiful gatefold. The sound is stellar. Won't be playing the cd except in the car.

I'm really torn. Love the whole run from Seven Turns to Hittin The Note (and all the archive, official live, instant live, blurays, Idlewild reissue, Complete Fillmore, etc, etc..)

But.....I really really love the Dickey Betts songs here. They just grab me: title track, "No One To Run With," "Change My Way Of Living," "Everybody's Got A Mtn To Climb"

Dickey was on fire. Sure as hell didn't feel like his last ABB record.

Dig HTN (about to listen to that Peach Records reissue now...after I "Vinyl Flatted" all the warps out) - but, add Soulshne, Sailin Cross The Devils Sea, the amazing Gregg vox & work on "All Night Train," not to mention Jonathan Cain & Neil Schon contribution & my favorite Gregg vocal here on "Temptation Is A Gun" + Jackie Pearson. What an album - it's my personal favorite since Brothers & Sisters.

Jam757 and Rose River Bear like this.
  20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Oh hell yeah bro....THAT is one of the all time great ABA threads!!!

old school likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

Thanks a lot for saying so. The Allman thread was a fun thread to do and lots of great insight provided by you guys and many more. The Megadeth hopefully will still go on and on........

Clanceman and old school like this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

How is the Peach records Hittin The Note? I'm thinking about getting this one as well as Where It All Begins. I listened to the Friday Music Seven Turns tonight and it is indeed fantastic.

23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

It sounds great. I'm really surprised. All of em ended up sounding so damn good. Seriously.

To be fair, HTN was a bit warped. But, I used my vinyl flat. You will only play the cd in the car after you buy this. And, MOV killed it with WIAB. I can't believe there aren't 40/50 more pages on these reissues alone. Fantastic!!

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Cool, damn looks like two more necessary purchases! Lol! I was wondering if MOV also released Shades and Seven Turns or were those only Friday Music? Honestly the Friday releases sound so great I'm not sure how much better MOV could do with them.

Clanceman and Rose River Bear like this.
  25. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Shades & Seven were Friday.

Full disclosure: I returned Shades, because it was some girl pop singer LP? I a have a NM- euro original on the way. However, I may still reorder.

But I've spun HTN, WIAB, & Seven....several times. All three overdelivered imo. I only had Seven on original cd & didn't have the og vinyl. But, this 7 Turns reissue is killer!