The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah, Seven Turns damn near blew me away tonight. That one is seriously growing on me. Truth be told, I have never even heard HTN and pretty much just going for it based on the line up and quality of the other albums in that time frame. Did you mean you opened Shades and it had some random horrible LP in the package? That has happened to me once or twice. I am jealous you have a vinyl flat. I do want one but always end up spending my cash on vinyl before shelling out for the vinyl flat.

musicalbeds likes this.
  2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Yeah, it was some random LP. Some female indie or pop star...so said my wife?

Get the vinyl flat if you buy LPs regularly. It used to be such a hassle & point of anxiety. As I opened each package I would close my eyes: "please don't be warped."
    Used to send records back, was worried that I had to through Amazon. Just a hassle. No more worries. Totally worth it. Secret: let them cool down a full 24 hrs before removing. Essential accessory for me.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You should play it again

clhboa and Clanceman like this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Clanceman and superstar19 like this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, got Hittin The Note and Where It All Begins yesterday, both sound fantastic. MOV did a great job as usual and very happy with Peach Records HTN. The vinyl is lightweight but sound super and very little noise too!

Clanceman likes this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Just wanted to let you know that An Evening With 2nd Set is also a MOV pressing and sounds freakin fantastic! Not sure if you have it but highly recommended for the acoustic version of Elizabeth Reed which is out of this world!

Clanceman likes this.
  7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I saw that. Of course I have the cd.

Damnit, I wanted to stop somewhere on these MOV (& one Peach) releases. I ended up with a phenomenal Dutch original of Shades.

But, I think you have me convinced to buy the vinyl. You love it over the cd? Nice, wide soundstage? :)

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I would say it is an improvement over the CD although I must admit most of my listening experience with that one is through the Ipod. I would say the vinyl compares well with the other recent Allman Brothers releases. I have now spun it twice, once with the Klipsch speakers and once via headphones. Great vinyl release.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Did you end up picking up either "Evening With" Vol 1 or 2 on vinyl? I've got both on CD... but have started getting the itch if their are a sonic improvement...

10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I didn't. Listened to & decided to stick w the original CDs. Bought many of the others - some MOV, Peach (HTN), & an original & beautiful Dutch Shades (awhile back), along w some of the Newbury Comics releases.

lucan_g and Rose River Bear like this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Think I'm pulling the trigger on the vinyl set II. I know it was digitally recorded... but I can't seem to stop myself. #ivegotaproblem

Rose River Bear likes this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

RIP Gregg and thanks for all of the great music.

reb, jhm, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4 BROTHERS REUNITED.

Hep Alien, jhm, lucan_g and 5 others like this.
  14. Myke

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Thanks Greg. You might have gone but the road goes on forever.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Myke says it best re: brothers united.

Heaviest my heart has ever been regarding the loss of an artist.

Grateful his physical pain is gone.

God help all those family & friends he loved & who loved him back.

I'll check in & reflect on this thread later. Thanks for getting it going when ya did Frank.

Man, I'm sad.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    R.I.P. Brother Gregg - photo by Sidney Smith

Hep Alien, WorldB3, RiRiIII and 2 others like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Awesome photo.....thanks for posting it John.

John Fell likes this.
  19. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I see we got to Hitting The Note, has One Way Out - Live At The Beacon been discussed yet?

I have been playing the heck out of it this week and as much as I am a Duane and then Chuck era guy I am tempted to say this version of Ain’t Wasting Time No More is one of the best versions they ever did.

I love how Gregg is fitting into his older voice here and Derek, omfg!!

Rip Gregg.

20. Rose River Bear

The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Three)

Clanceman likes this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

IMWAN • [2018-04-24] The Allman Brothers Band "The Allman Brothers Band FAQ" softcover by Michael Buffalo Smith The Allman Brothers Band FAQ book to be released next year.

Description
    With their innovative music and consummate instrumentalists, the Allman Brothers Band defined the Southern rock sound of the 1970s and transcended it to become one of the most respected musical groups of the past four decades. An account that can be read straight through or in stand-alone chapters, The Allman Brothers Band FAQ uncovers the roots of the foremost act of Southern rock, including the various musicians who have been members of the group since its formation; the creative genius of legends gone to soon, Duane and Greg Allman; the producers, managers, and others who helped make ABB one of the most successful bands of the 1970s; details and stories behind all of the albums and singles recorded by the band; concert, television, and video appearances; great performances at the Atlanta International Pop Festival, Watkins Glen, the Fillmore East, the Beacon Theatre, and more.

Extensive insights into the band's career are also featured, drawn from literally hundreds of hours of interviews conducted by the author. In addition, full-length personal interviews with founding band members Dickey Betts and Butch Trucks, as well as legendary record producer Tom Dowd, help round out this essential tome on one of the finest rock bands of all time. Packed with detail and a swath of images, this FAQ is a must-have for both new fans just discovering ABB and longtime devotees

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Obituary in today's newspaper

RIP Johnny Sandlin. Another ABB loss -:(

( I see my text somehow was not posted above)

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Myke

25. Rose River Bear

RIP - Another Brother of the Road gone.
    Thanks for posting that.

Clanceman, Hep Alien and reb like this.