The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PHILLYQ, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident Thread Starter

[MODERATOR: Continued from here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-allman-brothers-band-album-by-album-thread.399234/page-40 ]
    Little Richard is also from Macon

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    footlooseman likes this.
  2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

And Otis Redding. In fact, the ABB were funded by the $ Phil Walden had made managing Otis. There's a statue of Otis upriver from Rose Hill. There is no Little Richard statue. Yet :)

ALAN SICHERMAN and footlooseman like this.
  3. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

It's worth driving from Atlanta, especially if you take back roads. The route to Macon was covered by one General William Tecumsah Sherman and his troops 150 years ago this winter, and it is redolent of intense, lived-through-it history. Spooky and mystical, beautiful and poignant.

Faulkner: "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

4. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

It IS everyday. Macon is so sleepy, and these streets are not exceptional in any way other than their historical import.

faz87 and frank3si like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

How does the MoFi Brothers and Sisters compare to an original pressing? Speaking of vinyl here. As I mentioned upstream, I have been without the album for decades and I want to get another copy and since the MoFi is still available
    I want to keep it in the running but an original is probably going to be cheaper in my area.

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It just makes it all the more hard to comprehend; I mean, how many fatal traffic accidents happen in that area per year? Couldn't be many...

7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

The Mo-Fi is light years better than any previous Capricorn/Polydor vinyl issues IMO.

Here's the review from Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/content/brothers-and-sisters

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks Blue Cactus.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  9. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

One point here (and mind you, I have not combed the web to see if this is a common perception or not): Upthread I mentioned a friend who met Duane and Dickey at a show in '70. He told me that the two men seemed extremely close - like brothers, to use the cliche. He is pretty sure that Berry's accident was not your standard operator error. As mentioned by someone else upthread, he was despondent over Duane's death. And of course, the accident happened very close to Duane's site.
    Just one person/fan's observation. I myself could not begin to make that call.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Capricorn vinyl is nothing to sneeze at. Capricorn vinyl was well mastered, quite a bit of it at Sterling Sound in NY.

Groundcat likes this.
  11. pool_of_tears

No Dickey, don't do it!

John Fell likes this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Wow. I know where that cliff is. I stood there when we visited three years ago. I wish I had known they stood there for a shot. I would have stayed longer and thought about it.
    We went to the Joshua Tree hotel where Gram died and to the spot in Joshua Tree where they....well you know what they (he) did.

13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Wait, "Jelly Jelly" is a cover? Why the Greg Allman songwriting credit?

14. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Well not everything mastered at Sterling is a gem.

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

And the poster offered with the LP is nice!

I nearly bought the japanese CD in 1990 in Paris, but it was expensive and I choosed not to get it. I regret it still.

I did not know there was a US Polydor reissue of this one though. Can you provide its label number please?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  16. Brothers and Sisters is a great album and forms a great consecutive run of five albums with some great musical development.

Thanks for posting all the pictures of the graves and video of the crash sites. It was nice to see those, but it also makes me sad thinking about the losses.

pool_of_tears and Myke like this.
  17. pool_of_tears

I never said that, nor did I imply that. I'm saying that the mastering of Capricorn's releases was quite consistent, in my opinion. Good music, good mastering...what could be better?! :)

Back to The Allmans :wiggle::goodie:

18. pool_of_tears

I sometimes wonder "what if"...it is sad, but they sure did make dynamite music

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm sorry, - I could have done without seeing the grave photos. The video was interesting though....

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Safe bet Frank skips this one....

[​IMG]

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Considering it's not an Allman Brothers Band recording, it IS a safe bet. Stupid ass Warners can't even spell their own artist's name ? Pathetic.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I probably should considering I did not know it existed until now. :hide:

Sneaky Pete and reb like this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've noticed that the single g spelling really irks you.

I'm surprised you didn't rake me over the coals.

It's Gregg

:D

24. Myke

Nah, I know you know better, besides you've got good taste in music.

John Fell and reb like this.
  25. Myke

Well, I was one of those 642 sales back in 1977. Still have my copy, plus !!! Let's not forget, Bill Levenson included the track, Can You Fool in the Dreams box, AND...it was a featured song at the Gregg tribute earlier this year too ! :agree:

Rose River Bear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.