The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PHILLYQ, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have the Dreams box set. I need to listen to it. I can't remember what how it goes. :o

2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Greg? should have also skipped it

reb likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Also. He made a typomigraphical error. :D

Myke likes this.
  4. footlooseman

fixed it!!!

Myke likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

I think I would have done whatever she wanted even if I was a rock star. :drool:

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Once when Gregg was initially taken with her, Duane reassured him that he could have a woman like that, and would one day. He really looked out for his Babybro. :hugs:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. footlooseman

skydog and horndog

8. Rose River Bear

:evil:

Myke likes this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I still want to go to Joshua Tree and stay at the motel. I've always thought those trees were so cool. Early spring would e great. With the rain we are now getting, it could bode well for the desert flowers. I've been wanting to burn some vacation days anyway. Maybe that is in the cards for me early next year.

I went out today to a brick and mortar to see if I could find a copy of Brothers and Sisters but no luck. I have two other stores I want to check. In the meantime I found a SACD of At Fillmore East, the two disc version for $13.00. I didn't have a digital version of this and besides, I have the Eat A Peach SACD so they make a nice pair. I'm going to give it a spin tonight. So the guitars are mean sounding, eh? Interesting. I still have my pink label vinyl so not to worry. I thought it would make a good car disc.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  10. Myke

Deluxe Edition w/First Class or Priority shipping : http://www.bullmoose.com/p/14828771/allman-brothesr-band-brothers-sisters-super-deluxe-ed-4-cd

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    w/Ahmet Ertegun & Phil Walden.

Slick Willie, reb and Rose River Bear like this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

13. Myke

Maybe it's my buzz, but look at how the Leaders are conversing, and the Followers are observing.

John Fell likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Looks like Ahmet is drinking a can of Coors:

[​IMG]

John Fell likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Tall boy?

reb likes this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Couldn't find a vintage Coors Tall Boy image, the 12oz will have to do..:tiphat:

footlooseman and John Fell like this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'll drink to that.:cheers:

footlooseman and reb like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

But you posted a pic of Cher and Gregg. Surely that is more disagreeable among fans.

19. Myke

Why would anyone be bothered by a relationship Gregg had in his personal life ?

ARK likes this.
  20. highway

highway Forum Resident

Referring to ramblin man the excellent review up thread from pool of tears said: "there are layers of guitars here, some of which were left out of the mix…some of those can be heard on the Guitar Hero game. "

That is fascinating. I've always thought that this song's end with the building of various guitar riffs reminded me of "One" by U2.

I highly recommend the outtakes disc from the recent deluxe releases. One reviewer called it a brawnier version of the Grateful Dead and I thought that was a great description.

21. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

I don't think it possible to be anything OTHER than sad when thinking about such things -- not if you know the story behind them -- and that is one of the reasons that those gravesites are such a compelling geographical landmark in rock and roll history. We have here an American band -- an authentically rootsy, Southern American blues-rock band -- that was forced to endure terrible loss, yet survived and continued to make extraordinary and influential and timeless music. This was NOT a California band, not a NY or Boston band -- so much more going on here than meets the eye.

Loss is built into their music. It was always there -- Berry's sister Candace (who had been there front-row center for Duane's crash, following behind him in a car, and who grilled me as she guarded the graves 27 years later like some spirit figure out of "Long Black Veil") has suggested that the level of intensity in the music during the original band's final year was "like a soul crying." But it took the immediate, wrenching, and profound loss of Duane Allman -- the leader, the visionary, the soul (crying) of the band -- to make this Sense Of Loss the entire subject of the music (though it was always the unspoken subtext).

Berry's awful, equally violent death engraved it in stone, for better or for worse. Heart and soul both gone now. Their subject matter is now forever intrinsically wedded to that bewitching, haunting, insinuating music. A soul crying, indeed.

The story of the Allman Brothers Band is one of the deepest and most fascinating stories in late 20th century American popular culture.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  22. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

23. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

24. With regards to "Brothers and Sisters", I would like to learn a bit more about the various vinyl versions.

I have read that many Capricorn US pressings sound not so great, but some specific stampers/masterings are considered to be really good. I ahve an early UK vinyl pressing on Capricorn, and I quite like it, but I have no other vinyl version to compare.

I know that people speak highly of the new MFSL LP, but it is quite expensive, and when it comes to vinyl, I don't particulary like the modifications done to the album cover with MFSL releases. How is the more recent Universal re-release which came out together with the 40th Anniversay box set? I like the tonality of that mastering on CD, but the dynamics are a bit reduced. I could imagine that this pressing sounds good on vinyl.

25. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

But it should be pointed out that Berry had set up a big jam that was supposed to take place the night he died, Berry Oakley's Jive Ass Review: with the Rowdy Roadies and the Shady Ladies. It was to feature some ABB folk, the Cowboy guys, chick singers from the ABB orbit, etc. It was supposedly something he'd been looking forward to for a very long time and reportedly he was in great spirits and excited about the evening. Sadly, it obviously never happened :sigh:

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.