The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Really sweet one, IMO. Like the slight blur on the bottle hand.

frank3si and John Fell like this.
  3. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yeah, I didn't realize they had such a long pre-history before the ABB... makes the brevity of the original band's run as the ABB all the more sad.

am digging all the photos -- I like how, at least to this point, these guys never dressed up like rock stars.

4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Anyone else ever only owned Beginnings and have trouble thinking of the debut and Idlewild South as two distinct records?

garysb likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You would have had to come to them late in their career, or be a casual fan, but with that said, I can see how that could happen.

6. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, not that late - it did come out in 1973...

7. Myke

My memory was it felt late, when Beginnings was released.

8. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

First of all, happy birthday Dickey Betts :wave:

Here's a shot I took in late September of Capricorn Studios, with the wall to the right of the main street (then Broadway, now Martin Luther King Blvd) that was backdrop for the At Fillmore East album. In some of my other pics I could clearly see the brick patterns, and this is definitely where the Jim Marshall shot happened. The building is now in decay - in fact, I touched one part of the wall and a small hunk of brick simply came off in my hand, which is sitting on my desk right now.

[​IMG]

And speaking of Capricorn decay, here's me, Kirk West, and Scott Kelly from the Big House Foundation when I ran into them at the old Capricorn offices, which had just been condemned the day before.

[​IMG]

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Happy Birthday Dickey Betts.

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If only they'd have preserved the studio and offices...a lot of great music came from that studio and city :(

Exile On My Street likes this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Dickey Betts

MoonPool and Dave Hoos like this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to write up this post.

frank3si and John Fell like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

The writing of "Midnight Rider" is a good example. Gregg pretty much had it down in his head, and was desperate to record it. Since all the band gear was stored in that complex and it was a sketchy area of town, ABB road crew often stayed at Capricorn overnight to guard the gear. Kim Payne was on duty that night when Gregg showed up, agitated about getting into the studio to get the ideas down. When they couldn't get anyone to come down and help, Gregg and Payne actually broke into the studio. Neither being an engineer, it took them a while before they figured out how to turn on enough gear to get the demo down. Before that happened, Gregg was stuck on a couple of lines, and Payne says that it was actually him who gave Gregg the lines, "I've gone past the point of caring, some old bed I'll soon be sharing." Gregg said he'd give Kim a cut for the assist, but it didn't happen for years and only then under bad vibes.

Still, that's just one incident associated with that old complex. Hopefully, it will get saved. The whole community of Macon now seems very aware of the importance of the band in relation to the city - including the tourist dollars attracted like those of yours truly - and I was surprised at the wide range of people we met who were quick to talk about ABB. So, maybe...

Keep those pics coming, John! :righton:

24. Myke

Another, my former neighbor ( until her recent passing ), Kitty Wells, going down to Capricorn, June 1974, to record with some of the boys there. http://www.discogs.com/Kitty-Wells-Forever-Young/release/5491681

Another, after a Marshall Tucker Band session had ended, Doug, and I believe Tommy, stayed behind and recorded Asking Too Much Of You, and it was released with no touch ups whatsoever ( Doug even clears his throat ), so we could feel that late night vibe, every time we play the song.

From 1972 - October 1979, if it was on Capricorn, I pretty much bought it.

John Fell, ConnieGuitar and frank3si like this.
  25. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

If walls could talk :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.