The Allman Brothers - Eat a Peach (MFSL Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KOWHeigel, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone picked this up yet? If so, would love to hear impressions. I have never been impressed with my original capricorn pressing but as always money is tight and am reluctant to throw down $40.00 bones on this new one without first hearing some reviews.

Thanks!

2. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have a later, non-gatefold Polydor issue with red labels. I think it sounds absolutely great, but I'd like to hear how the MFSL stacks up as well.

3. uncleroy

uncleroy Forum Resident

most interested in a review of this one..

4. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I still need to listen to the SACD, but have feeling I'll pick up the LP as well.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have the original MFSL release from years ago and it's excellent. Being that i have to have all things EAP I'll probably have to get this one too.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Got one of these ? I do. 50" X 30" afghan throw :

968.jpg

Music1212 likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I hope to pick up a copy by today or tomorrow. Can't wait!

8. ssmith3046

You sure it's not 50 x 70 like mine?

Paully likes this.
  9. Myke

Damn cataracts. :laugh: Yes.

10. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I have the old MFSL, the Vinyl Lovers (my mistake - don't know why I haven't gotten rid of it), and now the new MFSL release.
    The new one by far is the go-to version.
    The Vinyl Lovers isn't worth mentioning, but the old MFSL always sounded great to my ears.
    The new release fills in mids that I now know are absent on the old one. "Mountain Jam" in particular is a revelation - the drum jam is more dynamic with better spacing, Berry's bass is really driving and clear.
    The pressing is par for the course with MFSL: flat and quiet. This one came clean.
    Overall an excellent release - I would say if you're an Eat A Peach fan, and I assume you are if you're reading this thread - you're going to have to get this.

11. stever

stever Senior Member

Jeez, one of my favorite albums, so I have to get this!

12. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

It very interesting to me as I always thought that without a remix the original Master tapes for this album are pretty awful. In theory the Fillmore stuff should be awesome as it was recorded well.

13. ssmith3046

'
    Mine's on the way. I have the old MFSL release and if this one tops that one by just a bit then I can't wait. A few years ago I cams across an original Capricorn that was still sealed. I scooped that one up.

14. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Humm. I might have to try the new one. I own the old MFSL one and have thought it was terrific. Eat A Peach is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, though, and now you've made me curious.

I was so disappointed with MFSL's repress of Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus. Because of that, I hadn't considered buying their new version of Eat A Peach. The modern remaster they kept working on, delaying again and again its release, just isn't up to snuff when compared to their magnificent mastering job of the same record from the 1980s.

15. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I am playing it right now. The fedex guy left it about 15 minutes ago. The packaging is stunning and the vinyl is beautiful. I must agree with the previous review regarding mountain jam just being more detailed. I would recommend. # 218 if that matters to anyone

16. Myke

The current 10% off Father's Day sale at Music Direct is making this more tempting. Damnit.

17. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

So better than original US pressing?

18. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

yes, noticeably. right now, one way out is playing and Greg's vocals are so crisp and clear, the drums seem sharper

19. Myke

My original US would be bettered, I have no doubt. It's this one I'm concerned about : Played this just a day or two ago, and it made my jaw drop !

330870601388.jpg

20. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

I have a Japanese Warner Bros palmtree label that is fairly great. I saw a green label Japanese Warner Bros recently on EBAY but couldn't believe it could better my palm tree pressing so I passed. Much more spacial and all around better sounding than my P58 two disc Japanese CD fatboy.

21. Myke

:faint: ...wow !!!!!! That CD always makes my family and guests comment (with no prodding from me, so as not to influence them), and you've got vinyl that betters it ? :tiphat:

I can't say that about my VIP 5081.

22. Myke

23. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Is the cover on the new MFSL done in a matte, somewhat textured finish - or is the cover shiny and laminated?

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just got my copy today. Very happy with it. I agree with others who have posted on the SQ. I hear more detail and the clarity is a lot better than my Capricorn pressing. Better separation of instruments too.

This a no-brainier for $39.99.

The cover was not done in a matte, textured finish.

reddyempower likes this.
  25. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad to hear the good reviews about this release. Thanks for taking the time everyone. This is going on my wishlist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.