The Alternate Monro - Matt Monro

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RMoore, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident Thread Starter

Simon A likes this.
  2. RMoore

Surprised nobody is interested. Thought I'd bump the thread just incase

CD out on Monday via Parlophone.

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Hey Richard :wave:

Thanks for the heads up I for one completely missed your thread and I'm sure others probably have too because there's quite a few of us who are Matt fans on here!

I've just placed my order via Amazon UK an absolute bargain at £4.43. I'm really looking forward to hearing these takes which will as usual sound great with your good self at the helm. :righton:

4. hodgo

I love that version of on your website of "Gonna Build a Mountain" where the band sounds rather Glen Milleresque I love that sound so much.

5. hodgo

From Richard's site..........

Richard I can only imagine how the sale and split up of EMI has really messed yours and Michele's plans up, but how bad are we talking about because it sounds as though the budget is even more limited than ever, does this mean we are likely to see fewer releases, also is licensing tracks from the Capitol vaults now a no no due to costs??

6. Richard - thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered via Amazon.

Again - thank you so much for your dedication and commitment to Matt's work, which is enabling us as fans to acquire an absolute treasure of releases and recordings.

Please understand just how much your work is valued by collectors and fans.

I hope we can look forward to further releases and appreciate how difficult your task must have now become.

Best Wishes,
    David

hodgo likes this.
  7. RMoore

It's worse than you think. The man we have worked with for many years over at EMI has this week taken voluntary redundancy and leaves on Friday. It will be a while before we know what's what after the Warner's buy out.

At this point we do not know if we will even get to work on any more sets for Parlophone or anybody else! Matt's releases have tended to be on the budget arm of the company so he budgets have never been enormous, although they have shrunk further in the last couple of years. So even if we do manage to get any more projects done, licensing from Capitol is completely out. I have been trying to get someone at Capitol interested in putting something out but no joy as yet.

The Capitol situation has meant that Rare & Matt Uncovered have been deleted although we are re-issuing all the non capitol material from both sets together on a 3 CD set called 'The Rarities Collection' in October - all the material from 'Rare' has been remastered by me (I didn't do the original release) with plenty of major upgrades and new transfers amongst the tracks.

But after that we have no idea what will happen.

8. hodgo

Richard, I'm so sorry to hear how truly bad the situation is for Michele and yourself, you have both done us all a great service with the releases you've given to us all and the thought that this may no longer be possible is truly awful, I just hope you and Michele can find a sympathetic ear at the new label who is prepared to back you up and give you the nod for future projects.

I shall of course buy the new release along with 'The Rarities Collection' as I'm sure other fellow forum members will.

Richard do you know roughly how many songs Matt recorded for Capitol? It would be good if someone at Universal could give you the go ahead to work on a future release of that material, but from what you say at the moment that sounds like pure fantasy.

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

When this thread was started in August I was not around.

I have just ordered this alternates CD. Thank you Richard for all the background information on the website.

10. RMoore

At least 150 (including Spanish language)

At Capitol he recorded 7 English albums, 2 Spanish albums, at least a dozen non album singles and a lot more that was unreleased at the time (there are still two songs have never been released)

11. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Just found this cd on amazon and was about to put up a thread here,but was glad to see Richard had put this tread up before hand.

Been wanting an out takes cd of Matt's songs for a long time,so this news is just great and with Richards past work on Matt's cd's these past few years this will be another great sounding cd to the collection.

I noticed Amazon UK has (yet) not got a song list up so i hope Richard does not mind,you can get the track list from Richards site ... http://www.mint-audio-restoration.co.uk/News/alternate.html

Roll on Monday.

alternate-monro.jpg

12. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Richard, what are the 2 unreleased songs?

It makes no sense to me in Capitol deleting these CDs, as surely they were still earning some money from them, especially the more recent releases. The Singles Collection is a particular loss. Have they also deleted Matt At The Movies?

I have preordered Alternate, and will buy Rarities. I am grateful for all the great Matt Monro music you have released over the last seven or so years. I'm sure many other artists have not been as well served. I hope that there will be a way through this, and that you can return to bringing us such great CDs.

13. Richard - many thanks for the update - how fortunate we are to have someone so closely involved in an artist's catalogue, who will engage in such direct dialogue with fans.

Perversely, I just received - finally - notification from Amazon UK that the 'Rare' disc is no longer available. So thanks for the info about 'The Rarities Collection' - have to keep my wits about me when it's released.

Best Wishes,
    David

14. RMoore

They are both from the New York sessions for the Invitation To Broadway album

Beautiful Beautiful World and What Makes it Happen.

In November 1966 Matt recorded at Capitol's New York studio with a small group - Guitar, Piano, Bass & Drums. - I don't know who they were as Capitol have no records and the New York AFM weren't prepared to even speak to me, let alone look it up - unlike the fabulously helpful Hollywood office, but i digress....

The songs were all head arrangements and he had a lot of fun recording them. However unbeknown to him the tracks were the overdubbed in Hollywood using arrangements by Sid Feller and Billy May. The only one's that weren't were the ones listed above. Besides the album tracks the single 'The Lady Smiles' and he track 'Lover's Caravan' were also overdubbed.

I have been able to work out that the undubbed tapes are still sitting in the vaults and we would have loved to issue the New York Sessions as Matt intended them to be heard, but that is completely off the Table at the moment.

The rights to issue the following discs were taken away from Parlophone:
    The Rare Monro
    The Greatest
    Matt At The Movies
    The Complete Singles Collection
    Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro

Universal have the rights to issue these discs but so far have made no attempt to - Rare and Matt Uncovered contain only 15 - 20% Capitol owned material so I don't know why they took them (in fact none of them total more than 45% Capitol) and they both constian a considerable amount of material licenced from the Monro Estate, the BBC & others that they couldn't issue anyway without drawing up new agreements!

It's all a bit silly.

The biggest mystery is why - when her catalogue was split between EMI and United Artists (and therefore by default Capitol) Shirley Bassey's whole catalogue has remained with Parlophone.

Anyway enough of my rant. Enjoy the new release. I'll post details of the Rarities Collection in due course.

Richard

15. MEMPHISSUN

Thank you for that up-date Richard.

It must be hard going at times when things like RIGHTS are removed to another party etc,so hoping down the road things can get together and the Monro family and yourself can keep Matt's music catalogue fresh with these new ideas/issues.

hodgo likes this.
  16. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Thanks Richard for your reply. I wish all of my rants were that informative. Looking forward to Rarities.

17. MEMPHISSUN

This cd is simply - "STUNNING"!.

hodgo and RMoore like this.
  18. hodgo

+ 1

Great Job Richard, this is one marvelous collection!!

19. MEMPHISSUN

The sound/mix on the cd is just great.

And the booklet has info on the songs as well, so for under £5 you get one one of the best singers that walked this earth at a great price.

The above can be done and sold at a great price,this cd has i hope, set the slandered for other labels to follow.

hodgo likes this.
  20. hodgo

Oh Absolutely, it's a wonderful mix and the mastering quite frankly puts most other releases to shame, if all CD's were mastered to the Standard that Richard has set with all of these recent MM releases then there would be no need for us all to pay the high prices we do to the audiophile labels...... Seriously the mastering on this and the previous MM releases IS THAT GOOD!!!!

21. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

22. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

I am assuming that one of my favorite tracks on "The Rarer Monro' CD set 'Suddenly' was from those sessions. I would love to hear EVERYTHING in the vault from them. Sadly, it seems the 'owners' do nor smell sufficient dollars to allow their availability, or is obtaining release rights just that complicated? Thanks for your efforts, they are appreciated!

23. RMoore

'I suddenly' on Rarer Monro is a publishers demo - the song eventually found it's way back to Decca and Dave King - None of the raw tracks have ever been issued from the New York sessions.

I have decided to try different avenues to get those tracks out, but it might take me a while!

Glad you're enjoying the new set. If only those in charge at Universal, Sony, Warners etc would take an interest I would do more for you guys to hear, alas nobody is particularly interested at present.

Thanks very much for your comments they are greatly appreciated.

Richard

hodgo likes this.
  24. MEMPHISSUN

Been a fan of the Presley boy,it's taking years for certain songs that he did to be issued by the record company etc,so you learn that things like getting songs issued is not that easy for many different reasons.

So there is always some thing around the corner ... and that takes time.

Thanks again for another top job Richard.

25. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Great sound on this CD, and it doesn't seem fair to take it off you for under £4. I always liked 'I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore' even though it sounded a bit distant and muddled on the album, but here it is a revelation.

hodgo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.