The Amazing Rhythm Aces

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockinlazys, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Wounded Bird did reissue How The Hell Do You Spell Rythum? but that is long OOP.

2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I wish New West would release more of these early ACL shows on dvd. I don't think they are releasing anymore titles in the series anymore though. Anyone know for sure?

Saw the reunited band (minus Butch McDade) in the late 90's in a bar in Colorado. A week or so later Russell Smith and Jeff Davis played a show at another local watering hole that I was able to attend. I got to chat with both Jeff Davis and Billy Earhart after the shows. Nice guys. IIRC Jeff Davis was particularly friendly.

About 15 years ago Jeff Davis was playing in a Country-Rock band with Buddy Cage and Walter Egan called The Brooklyn Cowboys.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    rockinlazys and Bemagnus like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Great song ending with a wondruous guitarsolo

rockinlazys and Craig like this.
  4. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Love that solo. :righton:

Another good one with a great (but shorter) guitar solo by Barry "Byrd" Burton.

The two songs are based on the same subject matter.

rockinlazys and Bemagnus like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Yeah it s a wonderful song-like most on their first four albums

Craig likes this.
  6. basement discs

basement discs Forum Resident

The reformed Amazing Rhythm Aces played a truly amazing in store performance at my record store, the Basement Discs, Melbourne when they toured Australia in the 90s. One of the musical highlights of my life.

rockinlazys and Kingsley Fats like this.
  7. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Yep, it was on the show hosted by Bob Newhart.

Bill is clearly a fan - near the beginning of Stripes he sings "Big Ole Brew", which most folks don't know was originally an ARA song (Mel McDaniel had the hit with it the year after the movie).

rockinlazys and pickwick33 like this.
  8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Is it worth the upgrade from the Collectors Choice to the Real Gone 2fer of the first two records?

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have always enjoyed Stacked Deck and Too Stuffed To Jump (of which the cover never fails to bring a smile).

10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Years ago I borrowed a friend's Collector's Choice cd and taped it. It got taped over so I haven't been able to compare the 2. Been wondering about "The End Is Not In Sight" in particular. The intro sounds like there might have been problems with the scource tape on the Real Gone. Otherwise it sounds good and has a bonus track.

11. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    A happy GW bin find some years ago. Fun LP. So is the debut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.