The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's a problem when done poorly, and a non-factor when done well. Christopher Nolan managed to squeeze six major characters from Batman's rogues gallery in three films without generating much "bad news".

2. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I think "Cars" was a much better movie! :)

alexpop likes this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

To be fair, I thought he was pretty solid in Perks of Being a Wallflower. Christopher Columbus isn't exactly an actor's director, I tend to not hold anyone's (mediocre) performance against them in his movies.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Why, you, I oughta... :laugh:

I'll say this: Spiderman knocks over and catches a lotta cars in the new trailer!

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I saw Amazing Spiderman 2 tonight, in 3D. I liked it a lot, more than the first, but not as much as Cap'n Murka 2.

Random thoughts :

Lots of gags in the first half, although it gets darker, with surprising pathos.

The 3D was quite good, IMHO.

The 'catch the car hurtling through the air just in the nick of time' bit is getting old.

Some dialogue from the trailer does not appear in the final cut.

There are glimpses of Doc Ock's costume.

The ending reminds me of an animated movie that I will not reveal right now.

The mid-credits scene is a promo for the next X-men movie. Pffft.

--Geoff

Vidiot likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Spiderman has always been my fav. Marvel character...

Anxiously awaiting this.

7. Vidiot

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The previous Spiderman film was great for about the first hour, when it was focused on the relationship, but once the CGI villains took over in the second half I just zoned out for the rest of the film. Well-executed first half, video game second half except they didn't give me a controller.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Nice to see someone in agreement on this thread.

:cheers:

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Deja Vu!

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

At least I'm consistent.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer Cars 1 & 2.
    And they've got the cheek to call the new version ' Amazing'. :)

13. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I won't see it in theaters. I won't rent it. Maybe when it is on cable and I happen to come across it I may watch it. But I doubt it.

lbangs likes this.
  14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Did they do that already? Why another one and so soon?

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Saw Amazing SpiderMan2: the flying sequences were incredible. Regarding the movie; hmmm. Mixed feelings about this; but in the end I'm glad I saw it just for the last 25-30 minutes that were really, really good. One very powerful shot stood out at the very end:

When desperately trying to save a falling Gwen, Peter/Spiderman launches a looong web. A close up reveals that the web assumes the shape of a hand. The web eventually reaches Gwen but that's not enough to save her :(

Totally agree with this:

Oh, and in the post credits scene you get:

[​IMG]

16. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I would love to know the reasoning behind keeping the first installment 'purchase-only' on iTunes.

It doesn't mean I'll buy it to catch up in time for the second film.

It means I won't be seeing either...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Because Sony needs to keep cranking them out so the licence doesn't revert back to Marvel/Disney. Apparently there are also Venom and Sinister Six movies coming. Same with the Fantastic Four and X-Men movies.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  18. DreadPikathulhu

That's common when a sequel is released. I've noticed that the studio takes away the rental option for the first part in order to generate more $$$ from those that want to catch up. I've been in that situation more than once recently when I've wanted to see the original when the sequel/remake is in the theater, and all I can do is buy it.

lbangs likes this.
  19. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I've seen it happen fairly frequently, but in this case, I don't think the studio ever allowed rental on the first installment. I've been checking it for about a year now.

For this series, the trailer for the second half isn't nearly compelling enough to make me buy the first movie sight unseen. I'm skipping out on both...

Interestingly, I've seen the opposite approach - discount the rental and the price of a movie shortly before the sequel to generate excitement. I think it is a great idea for franchises that aren't rock solid yet. I suspect it would have benefited this one, but everybody else seems to be more certain of its record-breaking blockbuster potential than I am, so I could be wrong.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

20. DreadPikathulhu

I thought the previous one was OK, and a step up from the third Raimi one, but the "more is better" approach turns me off.

I'm starting to be "comic book-ed" out; it's starting to be a chore to keep up with all of these movies.

21. Vidiot

If anybody goes to see this in the next few days, be sure to stick around for the entire credits. Two major surprises in the credits sequence, including one that deals with the (inevitable) sequel.

The movie got a surprisingly positive review from the Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/amazing-spider-man-2/review/694460

Other reviews are not so kind:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazing-spider-man-2-review-700576

They're predicting a $95 million weekend, which is very good. The key to me will be how well it does compared to Captain America. I would be very surprised if all three Marvel-related movies (Cap, Spidey, and X-Men) aren't in the Top 5 grossing films by the end of the year.

22. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

If that isn't a blurb for the lobby poster...

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Saw "ASM 2" tonight. Even though I didn't much like "ASM", I held out hopes that it'd be better.

It wasn't. In fact, it had all the same problems: no chemistry between the leads, Garfield plays a terrible Peter Parker, lackluster villains, murky story.

I'll give them credit for having the balls to follow one character's story arc from the comics - didn't think they'd do that - but frankly, I was bored through much of the movie...

24. Vidiot

Wish I could see it, but I'm tied up on a project. Got passes to see it on Tuesday, so I'll stay out of the discussion until then. I'm looking forward to it, but bear in mind I had a few problems with the last movie, too. I still think this one will be an enormous hit; the question is how big.

25. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I actually laughed out loud at this. Sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.