The Americans Season Four ...Begins tonight.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by trem two, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

What! Annett Mahendru AND Atias Moran? Overload! ;)

2. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

She's not too tough on the eyes !

3. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I love the way they used the song "Under Pressure" in last night's episode. It definitely fit the tone of the show.

Maseman66, Rufus McDufus and shokhead like this.
  4. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I am enjoying season 4. The first three were great.

5. The poor girl has really had it tough. Zapped into oblivion by a UFO and now shot in the back of the head!

Encuentro likes this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Martha seems to be in some kind of a bind.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Absolutely.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I think Elizabeth and Phillip may be in a bit of a bind.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's a bit of an understatement! Between Martha and the Reverend . . . not under pressure, in a pressure cooker.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

time to get martha out of the picture, the whole scenario with has run its course. and it would be great if keri russell gets to kill her off.

as for the reverend....just a pimple, if he opens his mouth with the wrong words he will gone too.

this show has been so good for so long because it has been ever evolving....it is a stagnant state right now, stuck the above 2 plotlines, time to move on.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I agree with this. The problem is the espionage and family dynamics can only work so much. At some point, perhaps soon, Beeman is going to get on the trail of the Jennings. It's really the only place it can logically go. Also, who's the Korean lady and Elizabeth's involvement with her? What's the angle there?

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I hope the Martha storyline doesn't just fizzle out like Nina's-they have invested a lot of time in it. Next week's previews are hopeful. Will she bring the whole thing down? It would be so depressing to see Martha in a babushka shlumping around Moscow for eternity. As to the whole Korean subplot, the writers are as usual taking their time in laying it out-just don't take too long please. And the ever irritating reverend seems to be in a holding pattern, although I don't see a bright future for him.

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Well Nina's fizzled because it was time to write her out as it seems to be for Martha. Time to move into play some new fresh faces to keeps the story fresher imo. I think the preacher's wife which has already been established having a big mouth might come into play.

14. trem two

trem two Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow. That sex scene with Martha at the end of the episode was really sad, I actually felt my eyes water. They way it was an exact mirror image of the hot, explosive, pressure releasing sex at the end of last episode was really fantastic. They were even in the same sex position.

The way Phillip looked so alienated and alone while in the middle of sexual intimacy was really emotionally powerful (Seemed to recall his sex training scenes in the USSR).

Random thought. The first thing I thought of when Elizabeth started that relationship with a Korean women was the shoot down of the Korean Air Lines plane by the Soviets in Sept. 1983 .

I don't think that date has happened yet in the show, is that correct?

Maybe the personal relationship will cause Elizabeth some soul searching when the shoot down happens.

Great show

15. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

This past episode was great! There were a lot of times when it seemed that Martha's storyline was going to come to an abrupt end.

GodShifter, Lonson and bopdd like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So that was an odd episode. Marital discord, Martha leaves (seemingly) for good, and then a half year flash forward in the middle and now mom and dad KGB are settling into domestic life for real, the daughter is on the verge of mental collapse, and John Boy was canned is about to head into the sunset.

17. rufus t firefly

I really liked this episode. Great acting throughout. Keri Russell stood out in a few scenes,especially when she laid it on the line with her daughter. Wow, that was a great scene. Well written and executed by all.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought it was a good episode. My father, who is 87 and still pretty sharp, had some trouble following it, though.

His interpretation was that the family goes on vacation to Epcot and is gone for seven months. Well, uh, no, he just wasn't watching very carefully. That said, I do think the transition to "7 months later" was a tad clunky. This might, be in part, due to Matthew Rhys directing his first episode of the series, but it's also the writers fault, too.

I still cannot for the life of me figure out what the Korean Mary Kay friendship angle is other than maybe it's to give a Elizabeth a friend? To humanize her bit more than just a KGB agent and a mom? There is something going on there, but I don't know what yet. Too bad to see the under utilized Richard Thomas, seemingly, take his leave from the show. The series has lost several major characters in this season. Also, I'm getting a little tired of the "bug" angle, but I guess it's a pretty important part of the plot. Still, it doesn't interest me that much.

Vidiot and bopdd like this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

For some unexplainable reason, I was around 5 episodes behind. I had 'em DVR'd and finally binged them this week. Fantastic work...EXCEPT for the latest episode. The 7-month jump felt wrong and the entire episode, especially compared to what preceded it felt 'off'. Keri Russell's a powerhouse, a standout in an admittedly strong cast. Her character's the most complex, and she plays her to perfection.

20. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

This might be my favorite currently airing show.

mrjinks and rufus t firefly like this.
  21. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Quick heads up for anyone in the UK. Season four started last night on ITV Encore :goodie:

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This was a long con to allow Elizabeth to have that fake affair with the Korean woman's husband. This is going to be a very messy blackmail deal, all to get the Level 4 access of the viral warfare serum. Everything fits together like a piece of the puzzle, but they take a long time for everything to pay off.

I fell outta my chair when they had "hippy drug dealer" Phillip visit the teenage girl to retrieve the tape recorder. Who the hell remembers that sequence? That's from like 18 months ago or something...

23. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I remember the Kimmy storyline well. It seemed to make Phillip squeamish about working someone that close to his daughter's age. Plus, I remember the Yaz song "Don't Go" was used to great effect.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i foresee a very abrupt change in the daughter coming, soon. i think her attitude towards the pastor and his wife might just start to change, as well as her attitude towards her parents career choice.

25. rufus t firefly

I found that scene really strange. I guess the purpose was to contrast his daughter's acceptance of his "job". I can't see this storyline being re-kindled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.