The Andy Griffith Show is coming to Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

OldSoul likes this.
  3. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Darn. I was hoping to get it. At that price they can keep it. How disappointing.

OldSoul likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'll wait for the complete series, then the inevitable price drop. Meanwhile, I'll continue to watch it on about every other broadcast channel, and online. :laugh:

forthlin and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

6. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

horrible price. as bad as the series after don knotts left. it is the howard sprague of blue ray sets.

jtiner, jsayers, danner and 2 others like this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

Paramount is also pushing Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu at $129 a season. I'd like to know what they're smoking.

8. Michael

profit?

OldSoul and chilinvilin like this.
  9. corey dan

corey dan Forum Resident

I'll probably have to go over to Mount Pilot to pick this up.

milankey, EdgardV, dewey02 and 3 others like this.
  10. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

What errors are these? Hadn't really heard of any problems that I can recall of.

11. Michael

missing scenes on one of the episodes... Mountain Wedding IIRC...
    there are more, but that one comes to mind...also some episodes are missing laugh tracks...I sent for a few replacement DVDs years back, but they never fixed others...they may have on the 50th Anniversary set? this makes me sick and tired of throwing money away!

12. OldSoul

They fixed the laugh track, but the missing scenes were intentional, so I doubt they'll be reinstated.

13. OldSoul

Honestly, they may get some suckers for I Love Lucy, but I don't know about Andy Griffith.

14. Michael

intentional? where the heck did you hear that? I don't think so.:)
    link please..

15. OldSoul

They had copyrighted music, correct? Those cheap bastards.

16. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think those who would buy this are suckers. I am a little surprised that they're not just releasing the whole series in one box for Andy, like the Dick Van Dyke set. I don't think there's much of a market for individual seasons. Mostly hardcore fans will want this.

Lucy makes sense to release individually though, IMO.

17. OldSoul

Mayberry R.F.D. is coning out on DVD, BTW.

18. Going off syndication prints, this one should look fairly good on Blu-ray.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree the price is ridiculous...thats about what the whole series should sell for as a box set...then maybe. And really, how much better can it look? Ive been on an I Love Lucy kick lately and my standard discs are unbelievably beautiful. I just cant justify buying them again on blu ray unless there are some significant new features.

OldSoul likes this.
  20. OldSoul

The reason I was so happy about I Love Lucy, was that it's supposed to be The Ultimate Lucy with crazy special features, but for more than $50, I can wait. The picture quality on the DVDs really is amazing. I'm sure the BDs will look even better, though.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Lucy is something I can patiently wait for the inevitable complete series boxset, when it's around $100 or so on Amazon.

22. DreadPikathulhu

At the list price they're asking, you'd have to pay almost $1000 to assemble a complete AGS on Blu and close to $700 for ILL. That's just insane to all but the most dedicated fan, especially if you've already bought the DVD releases.

I'll wait.

OldSoul likes this.
  23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I kind of doubt that sales of AGS will even be strong enough for them to get through the entire series as individual season sets. I could easily see the first two or three seasons being released and then they cancel the rest due to low sales. If they were smarter they would have just released this as a one-and-done complete series set in a relatively small run for the hardcore fans.

OldSoul likes this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

It does sound like a pretty bad business plan; Release the first few seasons on Blu and then cancel due to low sales, then release the rest online as HD downloads. That'll result in lots of satisfied fans.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    OldSoul likes this.
  25. It's too much of a financial gamble to author and replicate an entire television box set for multiple seasons and hope there is a market for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.