The Andy Griffith Show is coming to Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'? Thread Starter

Paramount=CBS
    It's CBS/Paramount

2. While CBS and Paramount are divisions of the same parent corporation(Viacom), they're still treated as TWO separate entities, which is why the movies and TV series are marketed and distributed SEPARATELY...CBS is responsible for all the blu-ray reissues of the actual television episodes of "Star Trek" in both its original, "Enterprise" and "Next Generation" configurations, while Paramount is responsible for the 12 theatrical movies released on disc!!!

3. OldSoul

TV shows always have both on the spine. Like this: TheHoneymooners_Classic39_BLU.jpg

4. While the PACKAGING carries both logos, the PROGRAM CONTENT is controlled by their respective divisions, theatrical movies and television series episodes..."Star Trek" is the most obvious example...

5. OldSoul

Oh. OKAY. Thanks for the CLEAR-UP.

6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Although I think it's great to see the older shows get attention, hopefully that price drops down. I've been buying the seasons of the original Twilight Zone for just under $50 a season (the complete box set saw release after I started buying, and is currently $182.5 on Amazon, even a better deal). $50 a season is really my threshold for single seasons on blu-ray; $30-35 is more what I'd consider a fair price.

OldSoul likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The whole series on Blu-ray popped up for $65 at DVD Planet last month, so be patient. I've quit buying these a season at a time.

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Was it a black friday type deal? I only have seasons 4 and 5 left to buy, so I'll probably just pick them up.

9. The best standard deal for the Twilight Zone Blu-ray set is usually Costco. They've had it as low as $120 at times.

10. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

The cover design needs to include images that appeal to a wider audience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] ;)

11. DreadPikathulhu

No, this was around the 1st of the month. They also had the complete Dick Van Dyke for around $48 on Blu-ray. Some suspect it was a pricing error, but they shipped the orders after the prices went back up.

12. I can see the price forthe Star Trek: The Next Generation set--they reassmbled, rescanned and, in some cases, redid some visul effects. The price of this though is absurd.

13. DreadPikathulhu

I've noticed on iTunes that Paramount is taking two-part episodes of ST:TNG, stitching them together with the upgraded effects, and selling them as "movies" for $14.99.

Crazy pricing.

14. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Aside from the confusion about CBS vs. Paramount, my point was that the TNG sets sell for much less than the list price. I pay $59.99 at release, which is more than reasonable for the sets. Currently, brand new sets are selling at Amazon for between $43.99 - $75.57, which is still very reasonable. So, although the MSRP is $129.99, only a fool or a rich person, or possibly a rich fool, would ever pay that price.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IIRC, that release had no bonus features?

16. Michael

nah, a rich man does not care about a few dollars in price...pennies to them bucks to us.:)

17. Michael

yea, just have to find a way to make even Mayberry a negative!:laugh:

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The DVD Planet prices for the Twilight Zone and The Dick Van Dyke Show Blu-ray sets was a weird one-off fluke.

19. DreadPikathulhu

It's the single season sets collected in a box, and there are plenty of bonus features.

20. Michael

OK, I read somewhere that they were releasing a complete season Box with just the episodes.:)

OldSoul likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

I guess we'll see. The pricing on these sets just is not sustainable. How many people are going to pay close to $1000 to collect the complete Andy Griffith on Blu-ray, especially when you can get the complete series on DVD for under $100?

I'm an enormous Star Trek fan, and I won't touch the new ST:TNG sets.

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm sticking with the dvds. I don't think I would watch all the seasons again, so no blu-ray for me.

OldSoul likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. Michael

No BR for me regardless...:)

25. OldSoul

You did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.