The Angry Video Game Nerd...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Synthfreek, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity Thread Starter

Anyone else addicted? The Sega thread made me want to share my love for some of the funniest stuff on the interwebz. Old-school gamers who don't know about the AVGN need to head over to cinemassacre.com and start watching the reviews. Dragon's Lair is a good one to start off with. Lots of cursing so beware.

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Funny.....was just watching him today. I would imagine that his age demographic is pretty narrow, but I fit right into it and get 99% of what he's talking about.

I would throw up some quotes, but there are pretty much NONE that I can repost here.

3. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

Im a fan. I love his movie reviews.

:righton:

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

James (AVGN) is great- I have all 5 of the AVGN DVDs. They are EXCELLENT! He puts a lot of extra material on them including commentaries, making of, bloopes, etc.

I highly recommend the DVDs if you're a fan. Aside from being quality releases, it also helps support James' work.

You can get them at:

http://www.screwattackstore.com/

5. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Too bad he doesn't make new ones as often as he used to. It looks like he collects video game stuff the way a lot of us here collect music :)

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He's currently filming The Angry Video Game Nerd movie which is why there haven't been any new AVGN series episodes in awhile. :)

7. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

I've been a fan for a long time. His videos remain one of the very few, if not the only, internet series that is both well directed and not focused on success and getting "hits".

James Rofle (actor, director, and writer (and pretty much everything else) of the AVGN series) is truly an inspiration in DIY filmmaking. Anyone interested in filmmaking needs to see both the "Cinemassacre 200" and "The Dragon in my Dreams" videos on his site, where he talks about what compels him to do what he does.

The amount of both inspiration and entertainment I get from the man is why I donated $30 towards the production of his first feature length movie (the aforementioned Angry Video Game Nerd movie).

I think anyone who's ever played a bad video game, new or old, can get something out of the AVGN. :laugh:

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Agreed! James obviously cares very much about what he does and puts a lot of effort and care into production. He makes really excellent short films aside from the AVGN stuff.

The making of the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle video is something to behold (I think it's on the site and it's definitely on one of the DVDs).

9. rdavenport

rdavenport Active Member

I think my son (8) is going the same way. He started with a Nintendo DS, then he was bought a Wii, then he appropriated my wife's ancient Gameboy, and bought an old Playstation 2 on Ebay with his Christmas money. All that and free online games like Moshi Monsters.

He's like a pig in s**t at charity shops and car boot sales. He is constantly amazed at the "old hat" games that he can buy for £1 or £2. No different from his dad and vinyl really!

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

James' review of the Sega 32X is my favorite because he gets it so right- "A giant, mushroom-shaped peice of **** that barely works".

11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity Thread Starter

I can recommend The Gaming Historian if you're itching for a well-done series since James is busy. It's not funny at all but it keeps getting better and better.

12. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh god, I hated that game… It's as bad as he makes it out to be.

"And you know what pisses me off? They're turtles, for ****'s sakes! They can't even swim!?" :laugh:

14. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

TMNT wasn't a bad game, it was just incredibly difficult. ;) I got it one year for Christmas as a kid, and it took me several months before I finally beat it. It seemed like a pretty huge accomplishment at the time. ;)

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, you're right about it just being difficult- the concept of the game is a good one. It's the execution that sucks.

I gave up long before I came close to beating it. You're far more patient than I am. :)

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

As someone who wasted money on both the Sega CD and the 32X (They really do make your Genesis look like it's on life support like he says), I'm so glad he covered those.

He has something like 20 systems hooked up to one TV. It's amazing.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There were definitely a few "WTF" spots along the way, no doubt. ;)

The fact that I was a big TMNT fan (and just a huge video game freak in general) helped a lot. I was pretty persistant when it came to tackling difficult games. There weren't too many that I couldn't finish... I think I beat nearly every game I got my hands on, at least once. :)

19. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

Love him. Met him quite a few times. INSANELY nice guy. Very humble.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Have you ever seen James' review of the third TMNT movie? It's great. Ever seen the movie itself? It's… not so great.

21. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Me too. I still remember trying to beat that game. It was really rare if I ever made it to the "Party Wagon" part.

Love the game reviews James does. His other stuff I dont really care for. He hasnt posted anything really good for what seems like a long time. He's at his best when it's just him and a game that's kicking his a$$. Anything other than that is just kinda crappy IMO. Yeah, he's reviewed some movies and things and does that well, but it's not nearly as entertaining as the Video Game Nerd reviews.

22. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Stupid question: is this going to be a theatrical release?

And do you think making these videos is his only job? He must make at least a wage income off the ads on his video "hits" alone..

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I believe there's going to be a limited theatrical release of some sort- very limited… and I imagine it will play at video game conventions, too. Plus, I'm sure there will be a DVD release which is how most people will see it.

I think this is how he makes his living these days, believe it or not. :) He deserves to make a living wage off them considering how much time and effort it takes to produce them. The more elaborate episodes have more care put into them then a lot of major Hollywood movies I've seen lately and look nearly as good from a direction standpoint.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

From the Zelda: The Wand Of Gamelon review (CD-I Part 2):

AVGN: It's also strange to get people to talk, you stab them with your sword.
    Hungry woman: I'd give anything for an Arpagos Egg!
    George the Chef: My cakes will burn!
    AVGN: Just to hear stupid **** like that.

25. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Thanks for the info. Anyone know how old James Rolfe / AVGN is?

The wikipedia page doesn't tell his age?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.