The Apartment (1960)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Orlan K, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orlan K

Orlan K New Member Thread Starter

Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine. Saw it for the first time in 35+ years last night. Quite good. Billy Wilder film.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Very fine movie. I enjoyed it back in my younger years. I need to see this again. Is the DVD well transferred?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. Orlan K

Orlan K New Member Thread Starter

So-so. There are a couple of noticeable blips.

4. scotto

scotto Senior Member

One of my all-time favorite films and one of Jack Lemmon's best performances.
    I watch this one a lot.

5. sadie

sadie New Member

A truly terrific movie. Jack and Shirley were able to play off each other so well. And an excellent performance by Fred MacMurray. Well done all around.

Sadie

bataclan2002 and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

A true classic. Fred MacMurray got so much negative fan mail that he swore never to play a bad guy again, and headed off to Disney. Too bad, because he was a great bad guy.

7. A classic indeed - love that movie.

8. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

One of my favorite Jack Lemmon movies.

This was also a great period for Shirley MacLaine, IMO.

As good as Fred MacMurray was in this movie. Every time I watch it, I can't help thinking about Walter Matthau playing the bosses (MacMurray's) part. Lemmon & Matthau were great together.

9. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Brilliant!
    Really captures NYC in that time. The original "Mad Men".

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

No....it's only marginally better than the LD. See it anyway 'cause it's a great film. Maybe it'll make Blu-ray in a few years with a new master?

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Great movie!:righton:

12. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

My favorite Billy Wilder film. Just watched it again the other night.

"Shut up and deal."

bataclan2002, Crimson Witch and arley like this.
  13. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Yeah, he was very good at being bad in spite of his "loveable doofus" typecasting. The Postman Always Rings Twice is a great example. And didn't you just loathe him in Caine Mutiny? But he was also a fairly good saxophone player and great with comic ad-libs.

I don't think there's any such thing as a bad Billy Wilder film, The Apartment is great, but my favorite is One, Two, Three, which I think is the role that inspired James Cagney to retire.

14. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I suspect you mean Double Indemnity, which MacMurray starred in .
    Actually, MacMurray stepped into the role in The Apartment at the last minute, after the original choice for the role, Paul Douglas, died suddenly before production.

Crimson Witch and fr in sc like this.
  15. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I always thought the movie was a little strange how it starts out seeming like it might be a comedy or a romantic comedy but then gets more and more serious.

"Hang on! This isn't a romantic comedy!" :)

16. I like this movie really well and often think of Fred MacMurray when I think of it, although the main lead stars are also very good. My exposure to Fred's work was first with Disney films, then "My Three Sons" and then his more serious film roles where he was sometimes completely out of what I had assumed was his character, with roles in "The Caine Mutiny", "Double Indemnity" and this film. He really was a good actor and had a long and successful career. IMDb shows his last role was in "The Swarm", thankfully for Henry Fonda, Henry worked after a role in that film.

Chris

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Regarding Fred MacMurray.

The Absent Minded Professor (1961)...how cool a flying car !

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great movie! I was thrilled when this showed up on DVD! Jack Lemmon ws one of my favorite actors when I was a kid...

19. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Absolutely adore this movie. Got to see it for the first time as a 35mm print during a summer classic movies series a few years back.

This is a huge influence on Cameron Crowe, and there are some clear homages in 'Almost Famous,' another movie I absolutely adore.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The most recent "Collector's Edition" DVD is a huge improvement over all previous releases in video quality and extras, but the amateurish photoshopped cover art is horrible. Just keep telling yourself "It's the film that counts". :)
    [​IMG]

Regards,

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of Jack Lemmon's best movies. Great acting from all...

22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Somehow I'd never seen this film straight through -- always in pieces -- so I watched it last night. What struck me most, aside from the overall excellent acting and Lemmon and MacLaine's chemistry, was how loathsome all the male characters are at Lemmon's office. As someone mentioned above, it starts off as something of a comedy but becomes a much more serious film (because of those loathsome characters), even though it never really lets go of that comic element, mainly thanks to Jack Lemmon's energetic performance. This strange tonal uncertainty is something I couldn't settle into, even though there's a great deal to like in parts.

The Apartment came out the same year as The Alamo, which it beat out for Best Picture, as well as Psycho, which wasn't nominated (a huge oversight, I think, as it's better than either of those two films). The widescreen black and white photography here is very well done, and has a notably small number of close-ups, befitting the shooting style. I think Wilder really wanted you to appreciate the widescreen compositions, which are quite good.

23. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

For me, this is the greatest of all films to win the Best Picture Oscar, with Casablanca and The Best Years of Our Lives just underneath. It never stops being moving and hilarious (and impeccably well-judged) to me. I say that as someone who thinks Psycho is a masterpiece, too.

Crimson Witch and adm62 like this.
  24. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Wow-- that's saying a lot. Did someone make you an offer you couldn't refuse? ;)

25. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The gold standard for sophisticated romantic comedies. Love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.