The "Are The Amazingly Cheap Hisense TVs any good?" thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Just curious about folks' thoughts. Saw one in a Best Buy with a friend-the picture looked really good. Yes, demo material or whatever, but at least it showed the display could look very nice.

Makes me wonder if they have volume-controlled analog output.

On the other hand, looking at bestbuy.com, it seems VIZIO TVs are about the same price.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, the Hisense sets are not good. You get what you pay for.

At this point, I would get the best LG or Samsung set you can afford. Analog outs have gone away for 90% of the stuff out there; you need a receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs, and route everything through that.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How cheap?

4. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

With all due respect, stay away from Samsung. My family bought 4 or 5 not that long ago and EVERY one is having problems. Mostly picture screens with lines, ghost shadows, etc.

If you're looking for a decent inexpensive TV look at the Vizio's.

geo50000, LitHum05, RickH and 4 others like this.
  5. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I have gone through all kinds of screen issues with my Samsung HDTVs. Their product quality and reliability has dropped quite dramatically. I will never buy Samsung again.

They are popular for good reason. Vizio basically took over Samsung's reputation of being the affordable HDTV standard with many people, myself included.

geo50000 and SteevG like this.
  6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I bought a Hisense 50" 4K TV at Target on Nov.28 for $171.59, that I wrote about here. Hisense 50" 4K TV $250 at Target ยป
    I'm very happy with it, and think I got more than I paid for. Hopefully I won't have to use the four year warranty, but it is a nice feature not found on Samsung, LG, Vizio, etc..

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I have a Vizio, and I love it.
    One thing to keep in mind about most Vizios: they will allow you to route your surround sound to your receiver VIA the optical out connection. So, if you don't have a receiver with HDMI inputs, you can still do surround sound.

8. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

I have a Vizio in my bedroom and LG in my spare room and I'm happy with both.

9. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I have two Vizios. I like the analog out feature.

jerol

10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My Hisense has an audio out/ headphone jack on the back. I've got it hooked up to my Zvox soundbar. Obviously you could hook it up to a receiver, preamp, etc..
    I also have a Vizio TV in the bedroom. It's got nothing on the Hisense. Also, the newer Vizios I looked at before buying the Hisense all lacked a tuner for over the air viewing, a deal breaker for me. I need my Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, and Alfred Hitchcock on MeTV.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    rockclassics likes this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Sharp is owned by Hisense now and uses that as their "higher end" brand

alexpop likes this.
  12. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I've bought 3 Vizios in the past 6(ish) months. 2 D series, and an E series. They both have tuners in them.

13. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Anyone here own a Sharp Roku TV? I've got 2 Vizios and a JVC but have not owned a Sharp yet...wondering how they compare to Vizio.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I think all TVs have an audio out, but fixed level. So the question is can you control that from the remote? i.e., is it variable?

Oh, thanks for that info! Me too. I don't really use it but want the option, and sometimes want to pull it outside for a party. It's a lot simpler to connect an antenna to get Univision to watch a soccer game than try to trot out some HDMI long thing.

15. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Yes, I can control the volume from the remote. There is also an optical digital audio out. I assume it's fixed, but really have no idea.

16. BradOlson

BTW, there are some TVs that the only audio output is a headphone output while others have an RCA output as well as a headphone output and many have optical outputs as well.

17. BradOlson

Univision is on DirecTV Now which you can access if you have Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Chromecast with your tablet as a controller as well as a computer.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  18. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'm very happy with my Hisense 50" 4K TV. Since you think they are junk, please tell us about your experiences with Hisense TV. Have you spent much time watching one that you were able to adjust the settings on yourself? Mine looked wonky set to the factory defaults. Switching from standard picture mode to theater mode, and turning off the motion smoothing and noise reduction has resulted in a very satisfying viewing experience for me. I like it much better than my son's LG.

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My son owns an awesome looking 65" 4K Vizios and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Vizios or Hisense. They both use brand name parts from the other manufacturers.

20. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

IMHO I would put Vizio a step or two above Hisense, much more "bang for the buck", and on par perfomance-wise with some of the lower end Samsung/Sony/LG sets. Vizios typically perform well in testing/reviews.

Hisense fits squarely in the basement category (with Insignia, TCL, Westinghouse, Polaroid, et al.) A cheap set at a cheap price. Not bad for a second set if it's cheap enough, but don't expect it to last. Either consider it disposable, or buy a warranty (which kind of defeats the purpose of a cheap set). Even if you have a warranty, the cheapos can be a service nightmare.

You'll find plenty of reviews online for Vizio sets, CNET has several in their "best TV's of 2017" (including the value priced E-Series).

Best TVs of 2017

McLover likes this.
  21. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Do you have any personal experience with Hisense TVs, or are you just parroting what you've read on the internet?

22. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

As far as a warranty, Vizio, Samsung, Sony, LG all have warranties of 1-2 years. The Hisense has a 4 year warranty.

23. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I've checked out a few while shopping for a secondary TV, never owned one. The user interface seemed a bit slow on one model I checked out, and the picture quality was nothing special (black levels weren't that great). The Vizio's I looked at seemed to be a bit better in all around quality (decent user interface, better PQ), almost went that route.

Ended up getting a Black Friday deal on a Samsung 4K instead. Pretty decent for what it is (but would not have paid full price).

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I bought a Hisense 48" 4K Smart TV for cheap on Boxing Day from Visions. Picture seems great to me. I did no research though, just walked into the store and told the guy to pick a good one for me. The USB port is in an annoying place at the back. It's hard to plug hard drives into it.

Done A Ton likes this.
  25. Dan Kennedy

Dan Kennedy Member

I have a 40" Apex, and it has been super great. I've had it for 9 years, and it's been jossled around a lot, it's been boxed up and moved three times, still works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.