The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story on FX

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by clashcityrocker, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story first episode tonight on FX.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ll be watching. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Gordon Mc

Gordon Mc New Member

Just watched episode 1 last night of The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Beautiful sets and the actors are very convincing. There were two arias that were played on the episode, the first I believe to be from the opera Capriccio as it was mentioned by Cunanan. Was the singer representing Kiri Te Kanawa? I looked up the album of Capriccio and on the cover Kiri seems to be wearing a dress very similar to one shown on the show. But my main question is what is the second aria? It is more familiar to me than the the first but I cannot place it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I watched this last night as well. So far, some convincing acting. I was especially impressed with Penelope Cruz coming in midway as Donatella Versace... I think she will excel in this role.

The story implied that Gianni and Cunanan were previously acquainted. Was that fact revealed long after the murders because I don't remember that at the time?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cunnan and Versace were not previously acquainted. That is pure fiction.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

So the stuff from 1990 is Cunnan and Versace is Cunnan's delusional version of things? I don't know the story at all. Pretty good Stuart.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ricky Martin.
    Seen a clip on The Tonight Show, looked rank.

8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That S&M scene with the duct tape was disturbing.

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anyone read the true crime book my Maureen Orth that this series is based on? I saw it at the bookstore as a tie in with the new series.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Anyone still watching this? I'm out now. 15 min of episode 3 was enough.

11. clashcityrocker

Just two episodes in and I'm really liking it but I know it's going to be a bumpy ride ahead. What's intriguing to me is the dichotomy of the two protaganists. We witness the gaudy and hedonistic headquarters of Versace contrasted to the bleak sterile ugly places of Cunanan. We see the vitality of Versace fighting HIV (never publicly known) and his love of life and art and then Cunanan who has nothing but his looks and lies. How the two get to meet their final destinies is a valid discussion of our fascination with celebrity and crime. But the makers are going for more with a look at gay culture and homophobia where love is forbidden and your sexuality can get you killed. It is more a political statement hence the title of the series: "the assassination". I understand why people will be disturbed and will refuse to watch but for those wanting to be challenged and provoked it's a must see.

12. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Yes, homophobia is a huge theme throughout this series so far. They really capture the gay clubs in the mid-to-late '90s.

Also, Mike Farrell and Judith Light were outstanding in the most recent episode.

13. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I like it. Had no idea that they weren't acquainted at all, thanks whoever pointed that out. I may start over with that in mind, makes it more interesting...

GodShifter likes this.
  14. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

I am. Yeah that was rough. It's definitely more the Cunanan story than the Versace story so far. Also, while I don't mind them starting with the Versace killing and then going flashback, the structure of going back, and then back further (to Chicago) and then back even further (to Minnesota, next week) isn't really working. So like when Cunanan's at the state park and sees the cemetery worker, the suspense is gone because you know he's going to kill the guy and steal the red truck that's already been in previous episodes.

15. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Surprisingly, I am really enjoying this mini-series.

rednoise likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I hope they don't have to drag out each murder like that. Painful to watch. I agree the structure isn't working. And the flashbacks to where Cunanan meets Versace are confusing if you don't know in advance that they've never met. I really liked the ep1-2 and will continue watching.

17. clashcityrocker

In the book that the series is based, the author does write that the two did meet according to her sources. The Versace family denies this and also the HIV diagnosis.

18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The wife and I have been following this series... we might have to bag out... Not that this show is badly acted or poorly directed or anything -- it's just that it takes its toll. It's too much... the horror/savagery of it all just really leaves us way too depressed to the point we have to watch four old episodes of "The Office" to level us out before bed.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

My mom is watching the new episode on demand right now.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Challenging (above) is a good description. I'm in.

21. clashcityrocker

Just caught up with the last two episodes and I find the series even more compelling. The backwards story arc works for me so with details that get revealed which will later echo in the following episodes. Yes, it is difficult to see Cunanan systematically kill his victims with utter inhumanity but it's powerful to see the backstory of his victims. We see the flawed but strong relationship between the Miglins. Successful, loving, all taken away with the evil of Cunanan. Judith Light was amazing as Marilyn Miglin but the writing was so strong for the character.

The next episode was pretty intense with a brutal murder and then the standoff between Cunanan and his former boyfriend, David a successful architect in Minneapolis. I found the character of David heartbreaking. We see him trapped in a loft with a psycho we already know will kill him. The tension is unbearable as we see him try his best to save his life. The reveal of his struggle with homosexuality and a dominant father makes his plight even more compelling. As his fate is met, the scene of him going to his heaven was a real out of time experience for me. A few side notes, look for Bette Midler's daughter as David's business partner and cool to see Aimee Mann singing in a diner in a very Blue Velvet scene where Cunanan listens to her sing "Drive" by The Cars and breaks down. Murphy always needs a David Lynch moment (and who doesn't!).

Yeah, no Versace stuff, so a little disappointing but there is just so more to come. Just need to point out Darren Criss as Cunanan. His bravuro performance in such a truly evil role is career-making. We hate Cunanan and everything he represents but Criss makes us look into his eyes and see his anger, sorrow and pain. Challenging stuff, kudos to those who want to stay in.

22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Definitely a challenging episode. One of the most tense hours I’ve seen in a long time.

23. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

In addition to all the Waco shows on TV now, I'm also watching this. Frightening as all get out.

24. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing both of those details out.

25. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Anybody still watching this? Should I jump back in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.