The Audio Fidelity vault will be opened...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

[​IMG]
    This flip is a flop.

goodiesguy and bluemooze like this.
  2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I don't mind them charging whatever they fancy as fortunately I don't want any of those.

Rick Bartlett and bibijeebies like this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm sure that's probably the case, but it points out the complete absurdity of purchasing music legally. I'm told that hi-res versions are available through "alternate channels" but folks who actually pay for the music cannot play the hi-res layer except on a Blu-Ray player. It feels like a thumb in the eye. And the RIAA wonders why they have a problem.

4. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Respect your opinion, but how would normal, or at least less elevated pricing, either hurt their brand or annoy those customers?

ponkine likes this.
  5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I am not sure about the lure of this. The prices are higher than all sealed copies on eBay. I don't think they are going to sell many of the titles. They should just post them on eBay if they want top dollar.

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

They're marketed as collectibles. Some customers jump in immediately to buy them before they sell out. They also have a program to get them shipped monthly to other customers through a subscription plan. It wouldn't bother me but I could see some not liking it. They want folks to see value in their product. Offering limited OOP titles at a premium price does just that in my opinion. I remember the resentment of the limited Beatles mono box. But I emphasize, this is just how I see it. I feel it's smart business.

7. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

It's certainly out of my price range. But I can't blame them when they see their own products being flipped on eBay for sometimes double or triple the original price. I'd rather have those extra funds go to AF directly than some random flipper.....

Pizza and The Hud like this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Lord have mercy, please let those Lightnin' Hopkins' be mono mixes.

9. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

If viewed from perspective as a collector versus a listener, maybe. I do not understand why a person who jumped in immediately or subscribed, even if collectors and not listeners, would get pizzed if these were offered at original or even an elevated price (NOT at several hundred % increase) from the original distributor, unless they were investors looking to get an extra 50.00 or so for that lucrative SACD or lp purchase. I see "value in their product" when they offer good titles, well mastered and printed, from the best sources, hopefully original tapes. But I listen to music and don't really care about "collecting" or "investing"-I have sold a few items at a profit after changing my mind about them and using the $ to buy more music. It seems an entity could make a quality product at high demand and make enough to satisfy demand, even for people late to the game or who sat on the fence a while and thereby maximize sales. Or make a handful and jack up the price. It seems AF is having cake and eating it as well, selling a run albeit limited, then having a few to milk an extra grand or so from "collectors" or late arrivals or whatever. The response is "a large corporation is not going to go to these lengths for a few more dollars overall," but haven't they just done that? Did they hold a few back and fudge on "out of stock" to get a little bit more? Did they find some in the warehouse and make this move? They imply they are from "vaults" which implies not a fortuitous set of finds. I dunno. They can do it, they do not need to give one poop what I think, I don't have to buy (and am not), etc. I get it. I just think it looks a little bad. Will I still buy stuff new from them? I guess, if I have to have it and can't find a great condition original. But, I may look harder or pay a bit more for an original now. I dunno. Again, respect your opinion, just not totally in accord with what I see as the analysis, I guess.

10. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I was actually wondering what the story behind these “vault” was. Was it misplaced stock that was recently found or have these been deliberately set aside for future inflated sales? These have been previously listed as “Out of Stock”. Was this deliberately misleading?

I’d love to know the actual story behind this sudden opening of “The Vault”.

11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

"A box found in the janitor's closet behind the toilet paper."

What's the difference?

12. Hey, why not make some extra coin? More power to him. Plenty of people who have drank the kool-aid over the years will line up to purchase these at any price. I believe in Phineas T. Barnum’s old adage.

13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

The only two interesting titles to me, I already have and paid, what, a quarter of the price? I'm so glad I never got out of vinyl and don't have to deal with these insane prices today.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    patel kismet likes this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

too expensive, and just a plain ripoff! glad those titles don't interest me either!
    i'll stick to my old crackly, VG+ to Mint Lp's to be honest.
    they keep me happy enough.

goodiesguy likes this.
  15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Just curious, that's all.

Given the relatively small size of the AF operation, I would be surprised if these were misplaced and found in a box in the janitor's closet. I would think that they would take more care in keeping track of their inventory. More surprising given the fact that a number of these "vault" items are #5, a number presumably typically reserved for Platinum Club members.

On the other hand, if AF knew that these were sitting around unsold, despite being listed as "Out of Stock" on the catalog page, then we're looking at a blatant cash grab by AF (not to mention outright dishonesty). That would not sit well with me.

No skin off my nose either way since I have most of these already and have no need to spend the big bucks for the "vault" items. Just curious about the real story behind this, that's all.

16. The only titles I found interesting were the ones I already have. I didn't know they were already worth that much money.

17. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

For the reasons BHT just outlined, I think the context is arguably quite relevant.

18. Hey pal, don’t you know restaurant tabs are expensive in LA?

bubba-ho-tep and NaturalD like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

20. Pizza

I understand your perspective but I think you just proved the point that it doesn't take much to rile customers. And, I've been there too, believe me.

21. Pizza

Maybe Geraldo Rivera was involved.

Holy Diver and cwd like this.
  22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $ !! OFF THEIR ROCKER !! $
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Definitely want Hemispheres and GFTO.

But not at these prices. Good Night.

24. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Heres a thought...

AF knows their products are often bought by collectors, who buy more than one. If they put all the Vault products back on sale at the same prices they charged originally, it is very likely people who already have copies would buy them, either to resell or to hold onto, likely for reselling when they can get much more money. So, AF maybe decided that they would keep 'scalpers' away and only people who really wanted these leftovers, almost surely planning to open and enjoy, would buy them.

tmtomh and kanno1ae like this.
  25. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yeah, for 200$ you better damn like the music :D

NaturalD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.