The Audio Note UK M6 RIAA Phono Stage. One of the best I've ever heard.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I am not in the habit of recommending $20,000.00 phono stages but I've seen this one slightly used for 6k and that is a tremendous deal so I'll plug on with this.

Audio Note phono stages are unique and as I'm learning, sound like not much else out there. They are built and designed to be all about EMOTIONAL MUSIC REPRODUCTION first.

From AN, hand-built in England, the Audio Note UK M6 RIAA is a moving magnet phono section that uses silver for all internal signal wiring. The unit incorporates a dual-mono valve power supply and also a transformer-coupled output stage, with a c-core design. The M6 RIAA is an all-tube phono and equalization circuit, which uses three of those dinky 5670 tubes. The power supply is dual mono using a 6X5 tube for rectification and an ECL82 and 5651s for voltage stabilization and regulation.

The output stage uses an in-house, custom-wound IHiB double c-core output transformer using copper/silver windings. According to Audio Note, signal wiring is in high-purity silver and Audio Note foil capacitors and tantalum resistors are used in critical areas of the circuit.

I have heard many wonderful phono stages in my day but this one just blew me away, it has a remarkable level of performance and once it warms up for about an hour, it is capable of reproducing all the subtle musical cues that make recordings sound lifelike. The unit AN sent me from the UK still needs several hundred hours on it before it is bedded properly and the thought of it sounding even better just blows my mind.

Warren Jarrett and I spent some time with this baby at my place two weeks ago. We picked ONE song on ONE album to focus on: The Cotton Club Soundtrack LP on Geffen, first track, side one.

We tried it first with the M6 and the AN TT 2 Deluxe. Then, three other phono stages I have here, same table and cart, and then Warren's long-time favorite non-AN phono section he brought from home. And then back to the M6 RIAA. The M6 was the clear winner. The spatial cues, the 3D midband, everything about this phono section was magical. On all of my other stages, the soundstage collapsed, the music turned into simply a nice recording of an orchestra. This would have been impressive, but when the M6 came back in, just a higher level of everything. With the M6 RIAA, it became a living, breathing thing and this is doubly impressive since the album was recorded digitally.

Enough of me gushing. It probably sounds like bullcrap to you but try and get an audition with this baby. You will hear for yourself. If you have an MC cart, use a step-up. If you are looking for a great phono stage and can find one of these used, or have the big bucks to have them build you a new one, please grab it. You will not be sorry.

riaa-3.jpg riaa-2.jpg

2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

In the throes of deciding on an M1 RIAA with a Silvercore SUT or something along the lines of a Parasound JC3+ or Sutherland 20/20... I'm all about emotional connection to the music, so perhaps the AN M1/SUT combo is the path after all.

3. Steve Hoffman

No idea what to tell you, have not heard any of them. You should audition before you buy. Very important.

4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I wish I could, but close to impossible here in Vancouver unfortunately. I'm going to try for the AN UK M1 demo, but even that seems remote. Plus no one keeps 20/20s in stock for demo, ditto the Parasound.

5. Steve Hoffman

There are no high end stores in Vancouver?

6. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

It's not easy being an adventurous audiophile in Vancouver.

Dave likes this.
  7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Not that keep 20/20s in stock, and no one carries Parasound here. Ditto for AN UK, I have to make the three+ hour trip to Victoria, and they don't keep much AN gear in stock AFIAK. Perhaps Seattle? I'll have to look into it.

8. Steve Hoffman

You misunderstand me. You need to go to the high-end stores in your area and audition what specifically THEY have for sale. The only way. That's what I would do here in LA, what I have done, actually. Or wait until an audio show comes somewhere like Rocky Mtn. in Denver or wherever... Hands on is crucial.

9. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Fair enough, I hear you Steve, and thanks for that.
    But I'm not really interested in Naim, Clearaudio, or Rega phono stages, which is pretty much all there is to demo in Vancouver unfortunately.
    The number of hi-fi shops has shrunk drastically here in the last couple of years.

10. Steve Hoffman

Road trip, dude.

11. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Amen brother.

12. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

If you want to demo the 20/20 you could contact Angie - maybe she has a demo she'd send to you if you paid the freight:

CANADA
    Audiopathways
    506- 9251 Yonge Street,
    Richmond Hill, Ontario. L4C9T3
    Phone; 905-737-5222
    Contact; Angie
    email: [email protected]

raferx and Simon A like this.
  13. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Hi Steve,

What cartridge were you using in the comparison of phonostages? Were you using a SUT, if so which one? I hope you get to try the M6 with their very best SUT, it is quite special.

The Audionote phonostages, particularly when used with their best SUT sound very good. The dealer in the Washington D.C. area has sold quite a number of M8 phonostages. I have heard that one in numberous systems. I like the one I own (Viva Fono), so I have not been inclined to get the M8, but it certainly is a contender. This same dealer once had in the M10 phono and the M10 linestage. This is a totally ridiculous system, particular with regard to size (both the phonostage and linestage have two very large power supplies). This dealer still has the three motor Audionote turntable with the three large power supplies (one for each motor) and the large control box. One certainly needs a LOT of money and room for an all out Audionote analogue front end.

I know you are building a quite nice all, or mostly, Audionote system. Will that include an Audionote turntable and cartridge? Have you tried any of their cables? I have started using some of their cabling. I run a four meter pair of Sogon interconnects from my linestage to the amp. I also have a pair of 2 meter Sogon speaker cables. I like their cables a lot -- fast, open and clear sounding without being strident or edgy.

It sounds like you are having a lot of FUN.

14. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Just nipping down the shops & buying one of these phono stages along with tonight's dinner!....seriously enjoy the phono stage.

15. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Thanks Weirdo, I'll give her ring.
    Know anyone who'd be able to let me demo an M1 RIAA/SUT?

Cheers,

–R

16. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

What is a phone stage and why is it so expensive?

17. Steve Hoffman

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tal-analogue-now-in-my-listening-room.382198/

18. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Audio Note's top-of-the-line stuff is all pretty expensive, bar a piece here and there.

The phono stage of a pre-amplifier or a stand-alone phono stage reverses the RIAA equalization used in cutting a vinyl record. Some are set up for a standard moving magnet cartridge (47 ohm impedance), some require a step-up transformer for a low-output moving coil cartridge, and some use a variety of other strategies to boost the cartridge's signal (JFET, MosFet, etc.). Some use tubes in the process, some are entirely solid-stage, and some combine the technologies. The end point is to accurately reverse the RIAA equalization to restore the frequencies and amplify the signal without adding (too much) distortion to it.

19. Steve Hoffman

:eek:
    I find it hard to believe that a collector of vinyl wouldn't already know this.

20. Steve Hoffman

Warren Jarrett has an Audio Note UK M2 RIAA for sale. Ask him how much. It is a mint demo with about 25 hours on it.

raferx likes this.
  21. googlymoogly

Me or the original fella who asked the question?

22. Steve Hoffman

Well not you, obviously.. Nightranger or whatever his name is.

googlymoogly likes this.
  23. googlymoogly

I'd never really heard much about Audio Note until fairly recently, and now I seem to "see" them all around. One of those "don't notice it until it's pointed out to you" deals. I just read Art Dudley's review of the Jinro, and he says in it that the AN Ongaku was 30,000 pounds sterling back in 1988. Holy frijoles...that makes Shindo gear look downright affordable to us proles! :D

bajaed likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Sound Practices magazine pointed me to Kondo in the 1990s. At the time I couldn't afford anything like that but I wanted a 211 amp in the worst way so I got a pair of Cary 805 monoblocks.

My business manager pointed me to Audio Note UK. In fact, he started this whole thing for me. So glad he did.

The fact that the stuff shows up slightly used all the time at like 75% off is the reason that I have hope that more people can experience the Audio Note sound.

googlymoogly likes this.
  25. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.