The Avengers question (60's series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why were five episodes from season 4 (ABC Season 1 in the US) not shown originally, until US Syndication in 1969? They were "A Surfeit of H2O", "Silent Dust", "Quick-Quick Slow Death", "A Touch of Brimstone", and "Honey for the Prince".

Also, it's very strange that one episode, "The Morning After" didn't air as scheduled on January 27, 1969, due to a Bing Crosby Golf special, and more than likely didn't aired on ABC at all.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Brimstone and Prince were considered too risqué for USA. The other were just not broadcast here. Didn't the Avengers start in the summer here? Wasn't it a midseason replacement? At any rate, it would not have been shown after April 1966 because ABC wanted only color. So there ya go. Some great episodes, along with The House That Jack Built, my favorites..

team2, Jerry Horne, woody and 3 others like this.
  3. Vahan

The program began in the U.S. on Monday March 28, 1966 with the first episode being "The Cybernauts".

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

I remember watching the first show as a kid. That was March of ‘66? Replaced what show? Very odd time to start a series. Should have been the previous September.

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

"Batman" started January...

6. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I wonder why...maybe Emma's suit was too tight (yeah!) and it turned Steed on..?

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

while on a trip to the annual fairport convention festival we made it to Portmeirion in wales where the series took place. it was a fun visit.

Portmeirion - Wikipedia

8. Vahan

It replaced Ben Casey; '65-'66 was that shows' last season. ABC Seasons 1-3 were mid-season, and ABC Season 4 was a full one.

March 28-September 01, 1966 ("The Cybernauts" to "The Town of No Return"; 5 shows left out initially)
    January 20-May 19, 1967 ("From Venus with Love" to "Who's Who?")
    January 10-May 08, 1968 ("Mission... Highly Improbable" to "Look - (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) But There Were These Two Fellers...")
    September 23, 1968-April 21, 1969 ("Game" to "Bizarre"; "The Morning After" was left out for reasons stated above)

Hardy Melville likes this.
  9. Do you mean The Prisoner series?

longdist01, JonMcK and Vahan like this.
  10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I have the Emma Peel box and the underlying thread of kinkiness is quite blatant at times, with lots of light-hearted innuendo and playful bondage moments punctuating the action. I definitely missed that stuff when I watched the show as a kid, but Diana Rigg and her leather catsuits still had an impact...

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Yes. I wasn't clear about that. The #6 apartment was the prisoner store. I don't know if that still exists there.

12. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Yes. Iconic. Made quite an impression.

Gardo, longdist01 and Jack Lord like this.
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes, remember the episode where Miss Peel was not only restrained but also fitted with a chastity belt!
    No clue what that episode was called iam sorry.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hmm, I wonder if this is why....?

[​IMG]

15. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

That sure ain't I Dream Of Jeannie. :D

16. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Apropos of nothing, the first AVENGERS episode I saw was "Look(Stop Me if You've Heard This One)", but I didn't recognize John Cleese because MONTY PYTHON wouldn't air in the US for another five years or so(and might not even have begun airing in Britain yet-I think it was 1968 when I saw the Avengers episode).

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is that an umbrella in your....

Steve Carras likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Time for a cold shower methinks. :D

Steve Carras likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Clapton : Belly Button Blues. :)

Ignatius and All Down The Line like this.
  20. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The Charge TV channel has been showing the Linda Thorson episodes where they really camp it up (ugh).

21. I get interested every time I see a post pop up on The Avengers TV show but, inevitably, the news I'm looking for isn't mentioned. I bought the so-called Season 5 on Blu-ray a few years ago but, believe it or not, have been afraid to watch it due to the erroneous speed and the voices apparently increased in pitch. Although apparently not everybody is bothered by this.

Is there no Region A market for this glorious series, especially for the episodes featuring Diana Rigg? If somebody was to put this out, they'd get my money in a flash. I've been a fan for 50 years and, after all this time, I've learned to appreciate not only good sound quality but good video quality as well. So, what's the holdup for Region A?

longdist01 likes this.
  22. woody

woody Forum Resident

There is an Emma Peel DVD set that is speed correct and looks good but no Blu-ray Region A that has correct speed that I know.

I do think the Blu-ray of season 5 looks better than the DVD but they sound like chipmunks.

23. Steve Hoffman

"A Surfeit of H2O" and "Quick Quick Slow Death" are two of my favorites in the series.

Get the old USA DVD of the EMMA years, they look good, they sound good and are fun to watch. Sad that the BluRay versions are so messed up.

24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I believe I saw my first The Avengers episode around 6 or 7 years old around '67. The only thing that struck me about it seeing it on a B&W tv was the opening theme which sounded dreamy and lush. Never heard anything like it especially the cavernous British reverb of the strings and brass. I remember as a kid wanting to be in the place where they recorded the orchestra like it was in some echo-y giant bubble.

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I was aware of The Avengers as a kid, but didn't start actually watching the shows until they landed on The CBS Late Movie ("that isn't really a movie," as Letterman used to say) on Friday nights, and I became an instant fan.

(I believe that CBS clip was posted on YouTube by our own @HGN2001.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.