The Avengers TV Series - Blu Ray Preorders

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Are you sure - how could they have let that go?

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Starting with Emma Peel, the series was filmed essentially for the US market. Big bucks from the States poured in as ABC in the US was looking for quality television product in their perennially third-place days. THE AVENGERS looked like a smart property in the James Bond-craze era, so US money was invested. Since it would air in the States - a much bigger market than the UK, the 24 fps speed was chosen.

I know it stayed that way through the Mrs. Peel era. What the show did for the other eras, I don't know.

Harry

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Yes, ABC completely funded the upgrade to color for Season 5. One of the strings attached, however, was that Diana Rigg had to give up the black leather suit, which was considered too sexy for American family audiences.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Where did you get that one?

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I read it was Rigg who lobbied to get rid of the leather outfits for the color season.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All film was transferred to 25fps for the UK, because there was no mechanism possible to transfer from 24fps without terrible artifacts -- particularly judder and other horizontal motion issues. I think a 4% speed-up is probably the worst you can do before audiences really recoil.

I've worked on network TV shows that came in short, and we had to transfer them slow, like around 23fps. It's not good when the guy on Miami Vice yells, "Stoppppp! Orrrr I'lllll shoooooot!" :sigh:

8. chacha

Wow, I could barely tolerate the sped up Avenger audio when I heard a UK transfer on a region free player. I guess they got used to it over there.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's strange how PAL people can get used to that, but find a million other things to complain about. In addition to the sound being 4% too fast, don't forget that the timing and pacing of the show is also now sped up, so every reaction, cutaway, and camera move is also too fast.

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

An interview with Julian Wintle quite a few years ago. Perhaps he didn't actually know the full story, or thought his version made a better story.

11. chacha

Yes.
    Yuck

12. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The Avengers isn't like Magical Mystery Tour, which was ALWAYS intended to be in 25fps.

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

This comes out next Tuesday. Has anywone read a review or seen any updates on the release? All is quiet.

14. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Surprised nobody has tried to make the Honor Blackman episodes from seasons 2 & 3 look like videotape again.

The technology DOES exist for such a thing.

15. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

all is quiet on the Avengers Forum and Blu-ray.com so far re: early reviews. can't wait to see this Blu-ray edition next Tues.

16. modrevolve

I cancelled my Amazon order and went with Deep Discount since its $19.99 shipped.

Jason W likes this.
  17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I had a major league crush on Diana Rigg as a boy. I generally don't buy TV shows but may have to pick these up if reviews are good.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too, she was so sexy. When I met my (then future, now late) wife on our first day of college I was struck by how much she looked like Dianna and fell or her hard!

19. modrevolve

Welp..my Deep Discount order has shipped :pineapple:
    Can't wait to see Mrs. Peel in HD :love:

20. The preorder the first week was $20 but went up the following week.

I should have mine on Tuesday assuming its in stock already at Amazon.

On a side note anyone here have any inside info on The Ninth Configuration delay? It was supposed to ship last week.

21. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

wonder when Britain will get a blu ray release ?

22. chacha

Just watched a sampling of episodes with a fellow forum member of the new Blu Ray which he received today. It was beyond disappointing. Washed out colors in many episodes,sped up sound,.

The sound issue is truly puzzling. Could it be taken from a British dub? On many episodes that we compared the old A&E DVD looked better and sounded right. Ridiculous. On others, the Blu looked better.

The image is in standard 1.33 with 8 hours per disc which to me seems like there must be some substantial compression going on.

Curious to hear what others think.
    I'm bummed.

23. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for the advance warning guys!

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.