The Avengers TV Series - Blu Ray Preorders

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

People, if you do not want Studio Canal to repeat the same mistake they made for future Blu-Ray releases, please write to them about how the filmed episodes should REALLY be presented (about pitch and mono sound).

alexpop and chacha like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Be interested to see how the German version will be like.

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

I dunno..for $20 I think this set looks pretty damn good :shrug:

that little rounded corner edge is rather annoying though

4. Yes, I agree but...I can't help think of would should could been in this case particularly when compared to "The Prisoner" Blu.

chacha likes this.
  5. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

just watched more- definitely see a sharper image in the blu-ray… but then felt instantly engaged with the actors and story when i returned to DVD because of the correct speed. the actors lose the resonance and weight in their voices at the faster pitch. as nice as the blu-ray looks (despite some accentuated odd coloring), i choose authentic performances over sharp textures any day.

chacha likes this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

In the episode we watched tonight tonight sometimes the picture seemed unnaturally sharpened as if some edge enhancement going on compared to the more natural detail of the new Batman set. It looks like no one bothered to do any color correction either. I'm baffled by this release.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Was this just a quick gimme $$$ release ?
    Wonder what the blu ray transfer cost.

Jerry Horne and chacha like this.
  8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I used MakeMKV to create a file for each episode. MediaInfo reports each one as 23.976 fps and a paltry 12.5 Mbps. I haven't noticed any speed problems in the few episodes I've sampled so far. The quality is OK, but really not much better than when I upscale the DVD episodes. This doesn't look like the "meticulously restored" HD material that's been rumored for so many years. Then again, it was only $20. I've had martinis that cost that much.

chacha likes this.
  9. Yes part of the issue could be the low bit rate for the show and that would also explain the softness and the fact that this doesn't have a film-like look to me a lot of the times.

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The very fact that this release is Season 5 only makes me wonder if the source they used was American dubs rather than the English originals. ABC probably still has the episodes in their vaults, and licensing would probably be a lot easier.

That might also explain why this is a U.S.-only release, and the European-only releases are going to be seven discs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. alexpop

Region 2 better?

12. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

the prints are sped up, like the uk releases, so it seems they must have sourced it from there.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Watched the episode Epic with Jason tonight and it generally looked terrific compared to a couple of other episodes I've seen. Fairly accurate color, deeper blacks and more film like image. Made me happy to see.

14. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

yes, EPIC looked really lovely. the best film-surface so far out of the episodes we've previewed. beautiful. to my US ears, however, everything tends to crumble when people speak (due to the pitch difference). but fortunately this episode has very little dialog from steed/peel, so it felt more authentic and fun overall. I think The Joker will be similarly successful.

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Series 4 released on Blu Ray in the UK on 23 Feb.

I really want a 'complete series' set on Blu Ray but guess that won't happen.

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Since we watch it, then it must not be unwatchable.

I find the flicker of European 50 hz TV to be way more annoying than our pulldown judder.

Harry

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

For *you*, perhaps...

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, we've been watching 23.976fps progressive for a long time. In broadcast, we see 1080i, but I doubt if anybody notices or cares about the 2:3 pulldown. I'm as attuned to this as anybody I know, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. How much American TV have you watched? Judder refers to horizontal motion issues; jitter is vertical motion issues. I'm bothered more by rolling shutter issues in digital CMOS cameras, and that happens regardless of shooting speed.

You're terribly mistaken. 25fps PAL and 25fps HD convert directly to 29.97 HD with only a .1% speed difference. There's no audible pitch change at all -- we're talking only a few seconds per hour. It is an issue in audio laybacks, but we can typically do a pull-up or pull-down to compensate. There's a much bigger problem when transferring 24fps film to 25fps PAL or HD, and then you do run into a major 4% speed change... and that is audible. Some studios pitch-correct this, but the pacing and timing are still badly affected.

19. modrevolve

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We transferred all the early 16mm kinescopes of The Avengers at Compact Video in the late 1980s for North America, and they were done at 23.98fps. I couldn't convince the bosses to go at 25fps, even though I knew that was the correct speed. As far as I know, the videotapes were trashed by ITC and only the kinescopes survive. At least by the Emma Peel years, they had the foresight to shoot on 35mm film.

The kinescoped PAL videotape shows looked horrible, but we did our best to fix them where we could.

21. modrevolve

no they are Region locked

22. Well sucks for me.

23. alexpop

(Emma)
    The Avengers season 4 blu ray.
    Is it all in b&w ? Also, how's the running speed ?

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

So, was there any of the Tara series to be released in any new digital version?

(She is referred to above in post #4 from 2014.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.