The B-52s Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by goodiesguy, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me Thread Starter

Have searched this forum over 5 times to be sure, and the only results of B-52's that come up are 2 old threads about "Rock Lobster".

Here is my appreciation thread for them.

They did some good songs:

Rock Lobster (Their best in my opinion)
    Private Idaho (A decent followup to Rock Lobster)
    Love Shack (this is what most people will know them for. A good song, but not their best.)

Now, as always, pictures!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moshe likes this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Saw them a few times live, once just after the yellow album came out and then again just after the red album came out. Both shows were a lot of fun, and those first two albums are great (though I'll admit to not liking the red one quite as much when it first came out).

3. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Yes, they were great live.

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I was listening to top 40 radio heavily when "Love Shack" and "Roam" hit big. My bigger memory of the time was a couple years later in 1991 when a large group of 30 somethings or 40 somethings were rocking out to "Love Shack" cranked at a campsite next to the Colorado River.

5. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Love Mesopotamia, that EP that they put out, a 2 fer? Sound is very good but would really like a better mastering of it, audiophile all the way!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

52 Girls is an amazing song. I've never counted but I presume they do actually mention 52 girls in the lyrics.

coldethyl likes this.
  8. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

My favourite album of theirs is the somewhat obscure "Bouncing Off The Satellites" from 1986. It's a transitional album of sorts, with solo-esque contributions and band member Ricky fading away... But the songs are great and there's a strange summer/synthetic feel about the album.
    Highlight: Theme From A Nude Beach

Really enjoyed their last album "Funplex" too. Haven't really played it much since 2009, but I remember it as a strong album.

I much appreciate the Cosmic Thing/Good Stuff era and vibe. Plus, during that period Kate was looking her best. Check out the "Good Stuff" video :D

applejam101 likes this.
  9. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

Love them. I have the yellow, red and Mesopotamia albums. Ricky Wilson was a real guitar stylist. After he died I think they lost the sound.

10. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Iam a fan for sure

11. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I love 'em. They're very early 80's-related to me, walkman days, cassette and radio. I was proud I knew them before Love Shack. They kinda lost their unknown/undergound band appeal after that to me. But playing Follow Your Bliss from Cosmic Thing takes me back to the first time I heard it every time!

12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

13. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

14. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Strobelight is one of my favorites. One of those songs that demands you crank up the volume and move.

15. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

LOVED THEM.
    They absolutely typified "New Wave" back in the day - the kitsch, the fun, their homespun flea market fashion sense, the odd instrumentation, the silliness of their lyrics. DIY, so cleverly done.

I had bought their first self released single (Rock Lobster b/w 52 Girls) after reading about them and was so thrilled when the long player was filled with so many other great songs. Planet Claire knocked my socks off - walkie talkies and bongos! One of the best opening tracks ever - a statement of what was to come. That first album just had to be bright yellow - still one of the greatest party records ever!

Finally saw them live at The Ritz in NYC and they were so great live too.

And Love Shack - so overplayed, but still fun every time I hear it.

coldethyl likes this.
  16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

How has Rhino never issued remastered/expanded versions of the first 5 albums? A more perfect example of a band whose catalog I wished I'd kept on vinyl I cannot imaguine.

We need remastered versions of the yellow, red and remix albums. We need a deluxe 'Mesopotamia' with both versions. And we need a 'Whammy!' with 'Don't Worry' restored to its rightful place. And are there really no live shows sitting in the vaults? Does no one in the band want our money? Also, Fred Schneider's solo album. That is all.

michael landes likes this.
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I remember that, it was in January 1980.

I saw Fred Schneider signing autographs for two girls once on the corner of Haight & Masonic in San Francisco. It was around 1989 or so. My friend and I didn't recognize him, so after he walked off down the street, we asked the girls who it was. My friend then called after him, "Hey FRED!!!" When he turned around, my dopey friend yelled, "ROCK LOBSTER!!" and Fred gave us a thumbs up and kept walking.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've seen them countless times. Their great entertainers...

Private Idaho is my fav. Love to crank that one up....

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It seemed like they were almost the house band for SNL when I was a kid. I've never really explored beyond their hits which I always enjoyed. Never actually owned a B-52s album until I recently picked up a cheap used copy of Songs For A Future Generation. Why did I suddenly feel compelled to buy this in 2012? My kids love playing "Rock Lobster" in Rock Band :)

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

The 1st 2 are stone classics..."Whammy!" is underrated...

michael landes and DonnyMe like this.
  21. goodiesguy

It wasn't a rock......................

It was a ROCK LOBSTER!!!!!! :D

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The early stretch of B 52s albums plus a few singles are among my cherished possessions (and the more recent stuff via downloads gets an occassional workout too).

Such a charming mixture of rock drive, great melodies, distinctive voices, camp, kitsch, sci-fi, humor, and an overall genius for fun. Great party music, great road-trip tunes.

Private Idaho is an absolutely fabulous A+ five-star rock single. The FDA should prescribe it as a powerful antidepressant.

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

:laugh: My daughter (age 7) is especially amused by the line "everybody had . . . matching towels"

24. goodiesguy

:laugh:

25. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Nothing like those first two albums for me. While I have liked a lot of their music since, those albums have the songs I love most by them. Didn't see them live until 1990 -- great show. Saw them again last summer. Still a fun live show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.