The Band / Rock of Ages LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zephead, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zephead

zephead Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a THE BAND s/t #ECS-80505 Capitol Records-Japan(which I think sounds great), and recently found Rock of Ages of same series...does anyone know how this album sounds - Welcome all opinions...Thanks!

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Haven't you played it to find out?

3. zephead

zephead Forum Resident Thread Starter

No it's on hold, till i find out if it's worth it !

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Don't know about the Japanese pressing, but I'd have to believe the one you want is the U.S. pressing cut by Bob Ludwig. It sounds awesome. Huge sound.

5. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

I haven't heard any of the Japanese pressings but there should be a MOFI 2LP release down the track if recent history and the Music Direct Catalog is anything to go by. Their releases of The Band so far have been fantastic.

6. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm going with the MFSL release.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The original orange Capitol USA cut sounds great. The 2-seperate Green label Capitol LPs aren't as good. Donno about the rest.

9. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

The one I have for sale in the classifieds sound great. 2 sides by Ludwig and 2 sides by Wally Traugott.....

10. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Not sure if this relates to the Rock of Ages LP, but I compared a "Cahoots" Japanese pressing to US pressing and thought the US pressing sounded better - more open, less crimped or compressed, high end a little more natural sounding. I kept the Japanese copy though because it was a really beautiful work of art!

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If the Japanese pressing sounds worse than the U. S. it must be truly abysmal. . .

12. sluggobeast

sluggobeast Forum Resident

I'll stick with my RL deadwax original pressing. "Rock of Ages" is one of my fave live rock albums. For some reason I picked up the MFSL SACD -- which was better than the redbook remastered double disc with the bonus stuff -- but fell far short of the original vinyl.

13. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

My ROA LP is a double RL cut with a "plum" label. Someone above says the orange label is original. What was the first release label?

14. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

Looks like the new Mofi is now shipping from Musicdirect. It's up on the Mofi facebook page too

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Mine is the Orange, but is Wally, 1/4 and 2/3 sides.

16. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I also have an original orange label Capitol LP with "RL" on all 4 sides as well as the MFSL hybrid SACD. On my system, both sound excellent, & quite similar, in fact. I definitely wouldn't say that either one falls far short of the other. Funny how we all hear things differently.

17. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I always thought that the orange labels preceded the purple on Capitol LP's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

18. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

IRRC the first pressings (Aug. '72?) would have been on the red label with the purple C logo, which had replaced the previous green label. Capitol went to the orange label in late '72. The purple label went into use several years later. Does that sound right?

19. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Has anyone gotten the MOFI vinyl of this yet?
    I've bought this album many times, may have to do so again.
    Any thoughts on it?

20. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

It has replaced my RL pressing. Stunning stuff - much like their work on Stage Fright last year.
    Massive sound, amazing clarity, dead quiet vinyl.
    These Band tapes must have been kept in amazing shape or something because the recent MFSL vinyl cuts have been must have IMO.

21. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.