The band Survivor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Sheagren, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I only have Vital Signs, but judging from that album and the other songs I've heard, they were a great band. They rocked and were very tight instrumentally, and the songwriting was first rate with inventive melodies, intricate chord progressions, and catchy hooks. "The Search Is Over" is a brilliantly written song.

2. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

i bought to hot to sleep with when seconds count for this week.i listened to a couple songs on to hot to sleep and instantly loved them

altaeria, Jeremy Holiday and carlwm like this.
  3. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Everybody knows "Eye Of The Tiger" but a lot of people forget that they were also featured in "Rocky IV" with the great "Burning Heart."

Ryan Lux, ARK, MikeVielhaber and 7 others like this.
  4. davers

davers Forum Resident

Burning Heart is the song that really got me to explore their deeper catalog...still sounds great after all these years!

5. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Burning Heart used to be my favourite song of all time back when I got into music for the first time, and Eye Of The Tiger kicks ass even though I was unable to escape it during my early school days. So yes it's safe to say I like (or at least used to like) Survivor.

ian christopher and carlwm like this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It certainly does. A real anthem. Good at those, Survivor!

Scott Sheagren and davers like this.
  7. davers

davers Forum Resident

This works as a mini-movie within the movie...my favorite part of Rocky 4. The music ties it all together perfectly.

8. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I always dug the upfront drum beat, Dave Bickler's vocal and the harmony guitars parallel to the vocal {in the prechorus section} on the song Poor Man's Son.

9. Scott Sheagren

i just about finished my survivor cds.i have thier first album coming in any day and have them all except reach which was released in the 2000s.anyone have that album?

Jimmy Agates and carlwm like this.
  10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Jimi could sing his face off and could until he passed. Bickler was great with the stuff that’s natively his but not the Jamison stuff. It just wasn’t in his wheelhouse. Peterik/Sullivan adapted their material to the new singer and the results jumped out of the radio exceptionally well.

Ed

MielR and ian christopher like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Reach is not terrible by any means but it's a sharp step down from all preceding albums - including Jimi Jamison's "Survivor" record, Empires (which is excellent, as it happens).

Remember reading that Jimi left before recording had finished, which is why Frankie Sullivan has a couple of lead vocals. He can hold a tune but he sounds like a karaoke singer compared to JJ.

There are enough decent moments, though, to make it worth a punt as long as it's not too expensive.

Hope you've enjoyed the others!

Scott Sheagren and PTgraphics like this.
  12. Scott Sheagren

Oh def enjoyed the others!i love their first 2 albums so much.

gitters and carlwm like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Haven't heard that in decades, thanks for posting it!

dylankicks likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's great! :righton:

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  15. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

One of my all-time favourite rock bands ever !!! These days I listen to their first three albums over and over again !!!

Scott Sheagren and carlwm like this.
  16. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Never realized how perfect Bickler would have been as a replacement for Steve Walsh of Kansas

17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

If you love Survivor I'd highly recommend their Japan only live in Japan album from 1985. Its a little rough (ie no overdubs) but it's killer.

Looks like its out of print but I notice some reasonably priced copies on Ebay

Survivor - Live In Japan 1985

carlwm, MielR and Scott Sheagren like this.
  18. Scott Sheagren

One day when I listened to them all a lot of times I’ll rank them from my favorite to least.
    Right now to hot to sleep is one of my least favorites.

carlwm likes this.
  19. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I just listened to it for the first time. Not a bad album for the Survivor style - though I know some are against it. It lacked a killer song but was quite listenable as I headphoned around. Bought it in Tokyo earlier this year - where they seem to still have a following.

Scott Sheagren and carlwm like this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'd rank it down the list as well. Most of the songs are fine but I miss the powerhouse rhythm section.

21. Scott Sheagren

the songs are good but nothing great they sound to me like a different band and not really any stand out songs.well maybe a couple.but im still giving it a chance.ill listen to it a few more times.

carlwm likes this.
  22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I love Survivor but much more with Jamison than Bickler. The early LPs are too rock for me and not nearly as melodic. Jamison had an amazing voice.

I see quite a few 80s cover bands that play around here in Long Island I've not heard one band yet do a Survivor song. Its like they all use the same play list: Don't Stop Believing, Separate Ways, Living on a Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name, etc. No one even does Keep on Loving You.

MielR, Scott Sheagren and carlwm like this.
  23. Scott Sheagren

Yeah I don’t get why Survivor fell off the face of the earth when those other bands are not forgotten.Survivor is just as good.
    Another favororite band of mine Saxon is the same way and Thin Lizzy
    But I don’t go by popularity I go by quality.

carlwm, supernaut and gitters like this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Survivor had great songs and the band had amazing chops. I sometimes wonder, as great as it is - and I really do love it - whether Eye Of The Tiger was a millstone around their necks.

Scott Sheagren and Nostaljack like this.