The Band - The Last Waltz 40th Anniversary - 11 November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glide

glide Forum Resident

Ha! Yes it does.

2. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

This Deluxe box set version seems to be a new mastering from the 2002 set. At least that's what I think. Garth's keyboards are even cleaner and clearer. It says only "reissue credits":

Mixing Engineer - DAN GELLERT
    Editing & Additional Engineering - PATRICK MCDOUGAL
    Audio Restoration - TERRY DAVISON
    Mastering - STEVE HALL

The new 2 CD version lists Bob Ludwig as mastering. However, I think that version is the original album edit as the song intros are slightly cut compared to the full box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The previous 4CD box set should have been the final word, at least as far as the audio goes. It seems ridiculous to essentially reissue the audio of that entire project with new packaging. Fans will gladly pay for new archival releases, but The Last Waltz was already thoroughly presented. So, any time an anniversary comes along, labels and artists have to recycle entire previously released sets? Not a great standard and precedent to be setting.

Ryan Lux and Vinyl Socks like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

it seems this was rhinos idea really and just wanted 4oth anniversary product on the shelf

5. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Robbie's idea. He wanted it out to accompany his book.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

have you seen that quote from robbie saying that? he has a cd called testimony released to accompany his book.
    the last waltz is i believe the only product by the band that rhino owns. robbie is under contract with capitol records for the band and any archive material related to the band which is why the testimony cd is on capitol. this seems more like rhino contacted robbie and he said sure since there is nothing new on the set

telepicker97 likes this.
  7. Steel Woole

Robbie contacted Rhino a little over a year ago and asked for a 40th anniversary Last Waltz to accompany his book as the book stops at the Last Waltz concert. He handed over a copy of his deluxe "How To Become Clairvoyant: Collector's box set for inspiration. He wanted some over-the-top statement piece created to mark the 40th Anniversary, never mind the fact that all the audio that was available was issued for the 25th anniversary.

So Robbie brought in the Scorsese shooting script which took half a year to scan, reproduce and bind into what it is in the deluxe set.

Rhino, like Capitol, had no idea of Robbie's Testimony book being in the works until he contacted the labels.

OE3 likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

There will be a 2nd book according to Robertson

9. Steel Woole

I would expect him to induce Universal to compile and release a companion to that book as well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

I don't understand though why the soundtrack goes past 1979 if the book doesn't? Surely robbie could have put a handful more of pre tunes on there on unreleased stuff.

I hope if theres another book and soundtrack the 2 singles from movie soundtracks make it on the cd

11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Robbie cut an entirely separate deal with Warners for TLW.

The other guys never saw a single dime from the movie...or the soundtrack.

It's the real gripe those guys had against Robbie, and as such...I have a hard time celebrating TLW

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

How many new songs does this have on compared to the 3 LP set?

13. telepicker97

The soundtrack goes 2 years past the concert because of all the overdubbing and redecorating/rerecording

14. telepicker97

In case anyone is still wondering, this will remove any doubt :

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

is that yours?

16. Matthew Tate

i was talking about the testimony soundtrack but still funny

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

One thing I do know is there are future shows being considered for release:

Woodstock 1969
    Festival Express 1970
    Albert Hall 1971
    Watkins Glen 1973
    Wembley 1974

18. Matthew Tate

yes robbie and someone else (maybe his son?) made mention of these or some of these being worked on to see what they can do. i have seen it suggested it might be a multi disc set with 3 or 4 of these concerts

19. telepicker97

Kinda. Until Friday.

Local musician (guitarist for Dead cover band the Schwag) is hosting a "Last Waltz" anniversary concert with all local musicians playing the parts of all the guests and I'm giving this 40th anniversary box set away in a raffle at the show.

I don't need this lol, I have the 2002 CDs & DVD as well as original vinyl + RSD vinyl...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

i also have the 2002 box. what about the limited edition version though not released yet? you getting that?

21. telepicker97

Nope.

I'm not a fan of TLW. I have a problem with what it represents.

Robbie's cash grab. Him and Scorsese went to the bank. Rick, Richard, and Levon were bitter until they died. Hard to celebrate that...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

without being there i don;t ever take everything exactly at face value of the he said she said

23. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I wonder. One of my favorites is "It makes no difference" - I've read Ricks original bass performance was with an instrument out of tune. I have little tolerance for an instrument not tuned properly or with terribly intonation issues. I'd rather an overdub.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Nobody forced R and R to sell their interests to Robbie. They did so willingly. Levon was the only bitter one.

25. telepicker97

I'm not speaking of publishing. Or songwriting credits.

I'm speaking specifically about the Last Waltz and Robbie making a completely separate deal for himself via Warners for the Last Waltz, bypassing everyone else in The Band.

4/5 of the Band were basically unpaid extras in a Robbie Robertson vanity project.

That isn't "he said/they said", that's indisputable fact.

it is just...Hollywood.

I know Robbie was tired of babysitting/writing and arranging music for increasingly disinterested people/etc.

TLW is a culmination of all that. I don't like how they had to coerce Dylan to sign a release for the movie. The whole thing reeks.

Then, with Robbie being all smug in the movie, and Richard's condition...it leaves a bad taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.