The Beach Boys, Capitol 45 rpm Singles, and their Sonics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 389 Tripower, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline Thread Starter

I could only find 1 relevant thread here, and it is quite old, so I’ll begin a new one.

The good news first. Back in the late 90’s, I went to a “Paper-Show” (as my In-Law’s called it) type flea market, in Allentown, PA, which emphasized vintage post cards, movie posters, etc… Of course – I looked for records. I bought 6 Beach Boys 45’s among a few others. They were (are still) in NM condition, and all have their picture sleeves with nice plastic protective outer sleeves. I don’t think they were ever played. If they were, not much. I’m sure I paid max retail. Fast Fwd to 2014 - I had not been able to find them since I have been back into refining my 45 collection. After freaking out for a couple of days, I finally found them safely stuffed away on a shelf in the basement.

Now - the bad news. I finally played them, and discovered that the sound quality of these records has a lot to be desired. We all know the Capitol Beach Boy’s stuff doesn’t win any awards for sonics, but these really let me down. The Monkees/Colgems & CCR/Fantasy 45’s I bought at the same place/event blow these Capitol’s away. Maybe they’re just bad pressing samples, from some collector, and I was the sucker that bought them. I have several other Capitol 45’s from the 60’s and they are fine. These are the only Beach Boys 45’s I have at this time, and here’s my take on them (Dual 1219 Multi-Mode, & Shure M44-G, VTF @ 1.5g, A.S. @ 0.5 (conical)):

1. Surfing Safari/409 – Weak on bass, no high end at all, but very clear on mid’s.
    Fun Fun Fun /Why Do Fools Fall – Tends to distort on mids/vocals – especially toward the IG’s.
    3. I Get Around/Don’t Worry Baby – VERY Bass heavy, muffled mids & no high end.
    4. When I Grow Up / She Knows Me – Not bad actually. Quite flat response and the upper guitar strings come out very nicely on this one – go figure.
    Help Me Rhonda / Kiss Me Baby – Similar to “Fun”; Tends to distort on mids/vocal. More on IG’s.
    Sloop John B / You’re So Good… Best of the group - Almost Perfect! Tight Bass, smooth Mids, and sweet high end.

It’s a shame really – Nice vinyl, look brand new, no pops, or ticks, and very nice picture sleeves – but 4 out of 6 sound crappy. I may just replace them, but I’m afraid of the variability within original vintage. Are there better sounding newer re-issue 45’s that I could get for playing, and still be the original mono mixes? I’ll look, but do not remember if they (the 45’s) were ever re-released like in the ‘80’s with green labels.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

70's "Mastered By Capitol" STARLINE recuts, the ugly grey labels, later sort of blue-gray. Best sound, correct mono mixes, the real deal, cheap.

agundy, aoxomoxoa, tmtomh and 5 others like this.
  3. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

4. 389 Tripower

Thanks Guys!! I'll look into it. :righton:

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, our host is right. Capitol Starline 45 reissues are the best for play copies. In gray label and blue label. Cheap and terrific. Add Shure M 44-7/M 44-G or M35x and have fun.

389 Tripower likes this.
  6. 389 Tripower

Ok - I hope these do the job! Bought a lot of 12, $1.92 a piece, shipped. Many of that type seem to be going up in price. Word must be getting out.
    I'll post how they sound, when they arrive. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  7. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

As long as they're in nice shape, they should sound really good. Keep in mind that some of those blue Starline labels might say stereo, but they should all be mono.

389 Tripower likes this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

For audiophile SQ, original Capitol swirls kind of stink. I never heard on that I thought sounded good, though at age 12 the copy of Surfin' USA/Shut Down I found flipped me out on my little Penney's/Panasonic compo set I got for Christmas. The BSR it came with also came with a 45-changer spindle so I could stack 'em up and play a bunch of 'em, which I did. Fun. Dumb. But I don't worry about that copy of Surfin'USA. I'm pretty sure it would sound about the same today as it did in 1971.

389 Tripower likes this.
  9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, those 45 reissues sound great in nice condition. They best originals sonically. Cue them up!

389 Tripower likes this.
  10. 389 Tripower

Wow! These do sound great! Much Better! I can't believe how quiet the vinyl is on these 45's!
    Thanks for the heads-up on these!

[​IMG]

11. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

So, what am I looking at here? A 1218 or greater?

12. 389 Tripower

That would be a 1219.

13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The ones with the light blue labels from the early 80s sound great.

389 Tripower likes this.
  14. 389 Tripower

I think the beige/grey ones are good too.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have this one and it sounds great

[​IMG]

389 Tripower likes this.
  16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Love that Dual, and those singles! Play on!

389 Tripower likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heh, stack those little suckers! Enjoy.

18. 389 Tripower

Yes Sir! Will Do!
    My wife even noticed, without me even asking!
    Thanks again.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That's a bit of a relief! I had recently picked up a few clean looking Beatles 45s on the Orange-Yellow label and was upset to hear how terrible they sounded. I've got a ton of the powder blue Starline 45s that I grabbed over the years for completion purposes - sounds like I should be playing those!!

20. 389 Tripower

Not sure if the "better sound" rule applies to Beatles 45's..... If they were on Starline like Beach Boys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.