The Beach Boys Holland Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

My thread for Black Sabbath’s Vol 4 is coming to an end, and I am on a Beach Boys Kick, AND this did fairly well in the last poll, so we will now be kicking off The Beach Boys’ 1973 album, Holland.

Before we start here are some ground rules:
    Ground Rules
    1. Keep all discussion to the song at hand or songsthat have already been discussed so as to not disrupt the flow.
    2. Please explains all thoughts in depth I'd simply because that leads to more fruitful discussion than "This Rocks" or "This Sucks".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

This seems like a very worthy idea. "Sail On Sailor" alone is probably worth a detailed discussion and apart from "The Trader," I haven't really dug into this album for years.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Awesome can’t wait for your input

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I keep thinking of jumping in on your Sabbath 4 thread, but whatever, I'll do this one.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Wow, didnt picture you as a BB fan.

And you can join the Vol 4 thread anytime.

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm more of a Brian Wilson fan than a BB fan. How do you argue with Pet Sounds? You don't.

7. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Great

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Of course not.

9. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I love this album - the first BB I owned. Not that I bought it myself - it was (together with Blood On the Tracks) a Christmas present from my brother way back in 1975.

Think it may have been because Sail On Sailor had been out as a single and I'd said I liked it.

10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'll play! I've been listening to a lot of Beach Boys lately myself and this is a nice, lesser-discussed record.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

12. Zoot Marimba

Sail On Sailor:

We open the album with the single. This came about because the band had relocated to the Netherlands (hence the album title) and spent huge amounts of money on building a studio on a farm, and when they turned the album into Warner Bros, the label rejected the album as they felt there was no potential single. Looking to amend this, Dave Bursyn turned to Van Dyke Park, Brian Wilson’s SMiLE-era collaborator, to see if there was anything that could be a hit. Although Brian was increasingly erratic by this point and far less productive as a result, Van Dyke was one of the few people in contact with him, and he had a tape of an unfinished song that he and Brian had worked, that being this one, which apparently was intended for Three Dog Night. Anyway, Ray Kennedy and Tandyn Almer, both Friends Of Brian’s At the time, and Jack Rieley, the band’s manager at the time, helped finish the song, which ultimately replaced a track called We Got Love. Originally Dennis was going to sing lead on this track, but he got a new surfboard that he wanted to break in, so guitarist Blondie Chaplin sang lead instead.
    The track opens with Carl banging out the piano riff that gives a driving, uptempo feel to the track. There’s this Wierd buzzing percussion that kind of adds a near touch to the track, while Blondie and Ricky lock into a pocket creating a relaxed but firm pocket that supports Blondie’s soulful vocal excellently, as do the background vocals courtesy of Carl, America member Gerry Beckley, Tony Martin, and Dino, Desi, and Billy member Billy Hinsche. I also really enjoy the little guitar licks throughout the track, although unfortunately I don’t know who plays guitar on this song, although I’m guessing either Carl or Blondie. Either way, it does a great job of adding a certain something without drawing attention to itself.
    This song kicks ass, a great way to open the record, and an awesome way to open the album.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Funny, my thinking is/was the exact opposite.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Love 'Sail on Sailor', would've loved to hear Dennis sing it though. It was only within the last couple of years that I found out Blondie sang it and was even involved with the Beach Boys. I know him strictly from touring with the Stones.

The MEZ and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Sail On Sailor
    I absolutely love this track. It just makes me feel wonderful every time I hear it. It's got that great laid back, soulful vibe and Blondie's vocal take is perfect for it. I can imagine Dennis singing it as well, but I think they got it right with Blondie.

I saw an interview with Phil Collins where he grouped four songs together as having a kind of laid back, in the pocket groove he really loved: "Sail On Sailor," "Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh, "Hold the Line" by Toto and "Misunderstanding" by Genesis, which he wrote to feature a rhythm like the other three songs. Ever since I saw that, I've thought of those four songs as a little family. :)

16. Zoot Marimba

Live in 1973:

MisterBritt, D.B. and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. Zoot Marimba

2012:

Ken K and oldsurferdude like this.
  18. Zoot Marimba

Brian and Blondie:

19. Zoot Marimba

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  20. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

One of the best B.B. songs ever. Blonde sure nailed it.

Comet01 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

That he did. I love Dennis, and I definitely wouldn’t mind hearing a Dennis version, but Blondie was the right guy for this song.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wonderful entry for a wonderful album! Also has the Guinness Record for the most songwriting credits of any song ever. :winkgrin:

23. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Sail on Sailor

I will be going into this thread as an long time fan of the Beach Boys' greatest hits and not familiar with a lot deep cuts or of the 70's catalogue. Anyway, I like this but have to admit not hearing a familiar voice at the outset feels strange. I love that chorus and I can imagine myself belting it out on a long solo road trip.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’ve always felt like Sail On Sailor is an outlier of sorts. It’s a great song, maybe a definitive Beach Boys song, but for some reason it doesn’t really fit the flow of the album. Might be why they put it first?

Anyway, looking forward to more opinions on this excellent album. Someone PM me when we get to Trader!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The tape of Brian and Van Dyke working on Sailor, with Brian asking Van to hypnotize him to convince him he’s not crazy is legend among Beach Boys fans, although only a few insiders ever heard it and it has since disappeared. Van tells Brian to cut the crap and write the song.

It’s a great song and probably Brian’s last classic song with the group, at least one that can stand with the hits of old.

D.B., BluesOvertookMe, Ash76 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.