The Beach Boys: What is their best live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MarkusGermany, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Live In London

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. Braulio Acosta

Braulio Acosta Forum Resident

I like to believe that's the point of Rock n Roll, long as he hits the notes right of course.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

No contest for me.

[​IMG]

Live In London is great too but this is my favorite Beach Boys album period.

4. Damn - is the rest of this that good? If so, I don't know how in the world this one has gotten past me all this time. Always better to hear a group perform in their prime as a self-contained unit IMHO...

mbrownp1 and AlienRendel like this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's a hard song to sing. I always feel like Carl is straining to hit the mark at points on the studio version, but Blondie brings some real grit and soul to it.

6. Yes, more or less.

Grabadorde8canales likes this.
  7. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

:wtf:

8. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

It has to be the In Concert 1972 / 73 album. I wish it were deluxe !

bibijeebies likes this.
  9. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Love this album!

10. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I think I'm on the front cover!

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Live in London

12. John Cowsill is really nailing it on the current tour.

Best Wishes,
    David

13. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

Love The Beach Boys in Concert 1972/73

I also like The Beach Boys Concert and London albums.
    On the latter, Mike's stage patter doesn't bother me too much. However, the acapella "joke" he told in London was the same one he told when I saw the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys last year. groan.

Jose Jones likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

In Concert's a great live mix of hits and prime deep cuts, and they were a good solid band with Blondie and Ricky, but couldn't they have chosen a better cover photo than Dennis getting all kinky with the mic stand?

15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I was there, I believe. It does look like the Hollywood Palladium and I remember him doing that. It's not impossible he did that more than once on tour, I grant you.

Folknik likes this.
  16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm going for the '73 album too.

It's also interesting that there's some between-song chat that's mixed right down, including what sounds like Dennis getting mad at the crowd (I guess) at the start of 'California Girls', telling them to cool down and saying 'I mean it!' like he's scolding a naughty child.

17. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

In Concert for me, as well. I just wish that they included Jumpin' Jack Flash. They did a great live version of it and continued to play it well past the release of the album in late 1973.

18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Because I've long been put off by the screaming on 1964's Beach Boys Concert, I never gave any of the other live albums a listen. This thread has definitely peeked my curiosity, especially with recently reading some great Beach Boy's/ Brian Wilson related books recently.

Thanks for helping me ding my budget yet again folks! :laugh:

19. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Beach Boys In Concert is a real good album from start to finish.

20. harmony kick

harmony kick Forum Resident

Live in London shows just how improved they were compared to some of their dodgy live performances (Lei'd being a prime example).

Beach Boys In Concert is great although the audience seems subdued which could be as a result of mixing choices.

Beach Boys Concert has great youthful energy although why they included doctored versions of I Get Around and Fun, Fun, Fun is a mystery as they performed great versions of those as presented in Live in Sacramento.

Knebworth
    has Carl and Dennis really driving the band with a harder, faster, almost distorted sound.

The 50th live CD is a sonic abomination!

Live in London FTW. One show, minimal editing, great crowd perspiration, er, participation, and Mike's banter is tolerable.

JoeRockhead and Smxx777 like this.
  21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

1973's In Concert. It might be my favorite Beach Boys album. And then there's also tons of great material from those shows that isn't on the album.

bibijeebies likes this.
  22. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

This is how I discovered The Beach Boys as a small fry, back in 1979. At the time of this discovery, I thought it was a newly-released album from a band, I'd never heard of (not knowing it was already 15-years old, at that point). I loved this album so much, I'd spin it everyday on my Imperial Party Time record player. In fact, I took it to school one day for show and tell, and the teacher played the album in its entirety. Good times! :)

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

LIVE IN LONDON! hands down! Beautifully recorded too.
    Carl is a superstar on this.

saborlord123 and harmony kick like this.
  24. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Yes, it is the Hollywood Palladium in that shot. For a full article on that show, and the subsequent live photo shoot by Ed Caraeff, check out Part 2 of my extensive 400+ pages of research on the BBs album sleeves, available as a series of FREE PDF downloads...
    www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves

harmony kick and B. Bu Po like this.
  25. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I have gotten most of the studio albums now with the AP reissues and then a couple that AP didn't do. Starting to grab the live albums.....How are the cd remasters in these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.