The Beach Boys - Wild Honey Tour 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Here's a link to the RAH performance on the 19th. Nice setlist & performance.

BlueTrane, Calico, Dr-Winston and 4 others like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

3. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I was at that show last night and agree 100%. Great show. Mike gets a lot of stick but you can't doubt the quality of the band, song choice and performance. Maybe even in that category of "one of the best shows I've ever seen".

For whoever was asking about merch - there was a £210 limited edition Hawaiian shirt on offer. Looked great but £210!!

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I've seen them three times over the last ten-fifteen years and this was by far the best performance - though I would rather they had David Marks with them again.

Hep Alien and Lonesurf like this.
  5. I had the great good fortune of seeing the Scarborough Show at the Open Air Theatre last Wednesday Evening (Tickets were a Christmas gift for my wife and I from our younger daughter)

I can only agree with everything the OP stated.

These guys were definitely not dialling it in - there was a real spring in their step and everything clicked. The whole band (no horn section) was at the top of its game and clearly enjoying what they were doing. Tremendous musicianship but this was no sterile run through of the catalogue - everything was done with a warmth and passion which was picked up on by the audience very early on and which in turn seemed to fuel the band's performance. There was a magical combination of fun and integrity - with two of the guys on stage aged 76 and 74 respectively! Not to forget John Cowsill's stunning 'Wild Honey' performance towards the end of the evening - and he's a youngster at 61.

There was also a heartfelt tribute to the victims of the Manchester bombing (Stamos had flown in to Manchester and stayed in a hotel there on the day of the bombing and was clearly upset as he referenced it a second time a short while later in the set).

The only unfortunate thing was that we didn't get the show that others seem to have had on the tour so far - we got a support act on at 7.00 p.m. (a cr@ppy support act, I'm afraid), with the band coming on at 8.00 p.m. and playing straight through until 10.10 p.m. Maybe different promoters with a financial interest in the support act?

So, we didn't get 'Their Hearts were Full of Spring' or 'Disney Girls' and a couple of others.

We did get 'The Balld Of Ole Betsy' and 'Forever' (Stamos)

Thanks for the heads-up about the merchandise - I also picked up one of the yellow tees. Didn't see the expensive Hawaii shirt.

Just wish I could get to another show this tour but that's probably not going to happen.

For anyone hesitating about getting to a show later on in the tour - on the evidence of last Wednesday night, don't!

Best Wishes,
    David

6. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

They do LADY LYNDA and Cottonfields without Al?? Balls on these guys! They may sound great but.. balls, not in a good way. Adding Jeff Foskett actually makes me less interested. Rather see each of these guys SOLO honestly. I would see Bruce solo - he has his own set both within the Beach Boys and outside. Same with Mike. Do all the surf, fun, sun stuff - the Pisces song and other solos (hey even "Brian's Back"!), "Getcha Back" (changed lyrics? what's the "2016" note for?), "Kokomo" as expected... and pull in "Almost Summer" already into a setlist - fantastic song... and those are shows I'd see.

I've seen Al live solo just getting up to speed for the real Beach Boys show supporting That's Why God Made Radio - great guy, great fun. Marilyn was there, too just to support Al. She's close with Al, very close to this day with Brian... yeah, kinda wondering what she was doing at THIS show?

Jeff

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Yes, the new Getcha Back lyrics were introduced last year I believe hence the 2016 note.

And Marilyn has attended Mike and Bruce shows in the past. I think she gets on with all of the members and, as Mike says, she was a saint for putting up with so much from the band back in those days.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

I'm only able to check out these performances via YouTube, but the band does seem to be doing a wonderful (and reverent) job on this tour. You really have to give a lot of credit to Scott Totten as the music director. He really has brought out the best in this band.

I hope they keep some of the deeper tracks when they get back to the States.

9. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Possibly called the Wild Honey Tour to correspond with the 2CD set of 1967 rareties coming out at the end of June. It also features a stereo
    mix of Wild Honey.

Hep Alien and Lonesurf like this.
  10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

They seem to change the setlist up quite regularly (as least the lesser-known numbers). They seem to have a wide array of deep numbers to choose from. And I don't know if there's any particular rhyme or reason to the choices. e.g. at the show I saw last year, they did 7 Pet Sounds tunes, which seemed to be more than they did at other shows, even during the anniversary year.

Turk Thrust, Lonesurf and adriatikfan like this.
  11. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Got a ticket for the concert in Düsseldorf (06/17), very happy!!!

Turk Thrust likes this.
  12. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

That was my first thought! "Lady Lynda? How the hell does Al feel about that?"

13. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

It's an odd one, but it was a UK hit, so there's some logic. Also of note that it's the first time they've been performing it as 'Lady Lynda' since Al's divorce from Lynda Jardine. Post-divorce, it got re-christened as 'Little Lady' during live performances.

The less said about 'Lady Liberty', the better...

14. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Enjoyed that - thanks!

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Mike is going to sing a song about Al Jardine's ex-wife? After he sued Al?

That is some heavy vibrations, man....

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Translation: Mike receives a few more publishing dollars and euros for performing the Wild Honey songs. :D

17. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

And they're a fantastic songs! Win win for him :)

18. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

My only complaint is that they aren't doing a longer Wild Honey set ... Especially with the Sunshine Tomorrow collection just around the corner.

They could do a very solid five song sample in just over 10 minutes:
    Wild Honey
    Aren't You Glad
    Darlin'
    Here Comes The Night
    Let The Wind Blow

Just my $.02.

Btw, are there any photos of the merchandise?
    Always wanted a WH shirt. Thanks.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Yes, please a photo of the merchandise...

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They should sell Wild Honey stained glass windows at the shows.

Hey, it's not any more ridiculous than "The Brian Wilson Bust".

[​IMG]

21. fasto

fasto Forum Resident

Well, on thursday night I finally got to see the BBs live again (2nd time, 1st was 2012).
    It was very good, but not as magical as 2012.
    And that wasn't necessarily due to the absence of 3 members who were there the previous time round....
    It's hard to put into words why this wasn't entirely magical. The Mike & Bruce Show is a very professional show, there's nothing I'd criticise, musically, but maybe that's the thing. I enjoy shows that have spontaneous moments, and with this every single little move and joke seemed rehearsed and matched everything I'd seen on youtube before.
    One thing I didn't like was the audience. In 2012, it felt like I was among fellow BB fans, this time it felt like I was surrounded by old germans who only went to hear the hits and relive their youth while drinking beer.
    Another sad thing was, I guess they had a 10 PM curfew since it was open air. They cut the setlist short a bit, and unfortunately, the songs that got cut were ones I really wanted to hear. They cut Bruce's solo bit - no Disney Girls, they didn't do Heroes & Villains - and what what have been most important to me, and I know they played it a few times this year - no "All this is that".
    All in all, a very good show, highly professional, (and Stamos can drum & sing!), but lacking that spark to elevate it from an "old guys playing their old hits" show to something special. Still, always nice to see the BBs live again, especially at this point, when you never know if it might be the last time in Europe.

Edit: Oh, but I loved "Pisces Brothers"! If you read this forum long enough, you think a ML song's gotta suck, but I was positively surprised by that and it was one of the highlights of the evening for me!

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

hey!!!! I like that bust, I got one on me shelf :wantsome:
    I wonder if Marilyn Monroe has a bust, now THAT would be something :love:

23. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Yesterday I was at their Prague concert. It was my second BB show (and I also visited 2 Brian and Al shows). So it was really great and even better than in 2014! The setlist was great, the quality of performance is great too. Mike and Bruce both sang great and much better than the previous 3-5 years! All the members really enjoyed the show. I didn't like only 3 things: 1. Those were sitting places, not standing. I was in 1st row but still lack of energy in the audience. 2. The audience was happy with all their surf hits but looked weird while the band played deep cuts. 3. No photos were allowed. BUT! In the end Mike and Bruce invited everyone to come and dance near the stage and to make photos and videos. The band is terrific- great that both Brian and Mike have equal stunning bands. John Cowsil is a beast - his drumming and singing are insane!) And in the end of the show during FunFunFun Bruce signed my Pet Sounds Cd. Funny that I was in Smile t-shirt and Mike noticed me from the start of the show, many times smiled to me, waved and showed me that he likes my t-shirt (while many years ago Smile made him angry). So I got the setlist, came out to the street and.. met Mike. He was standing outside. I came to him, thanked him, he signed my setlist, shooked my hand and we hugged. He was a real gentleman, so nice! Funny that everyone describes Brian Wilson as an outist not able to speak - and Brian shooked my hand, started to talk to me first, asked several questions. And everyone describes Mike as angry and mean person but he was supernice to me. Ironically yesterday it was 1 year since Paul Mccartney invited me on the stage. And year later the same with Mike and Bruce)

24. fasto

fasto Forum Resident

@Smxx777 Nice story! I think next time I'll just have to secretly follow you, seems like my best chance of getting to meet my idols! ;-)

Also, has Pisces Brothers been released officially? I found what sounds like a studio version on youtube, but I like having things on cd. If there's a compilation that has that track, please let me know.

Smxx777 likes this.
  25. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

There was a also a Brian Wilson doll (action figure) for sale several years ago.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.