The Beatles "White Album" Super Deluxe Speculative Box / Remix*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I think we will see more deluxe editions, but maybe not on specific aniversaries. There is $ in those vaults from true fans and executives willing to claim it. (Cynical, I know.)

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for resurrecting this. I’d never seen the original thread. This is incredibly useful.

3. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Yup. The outtakes are the important bits. Unofrtunately, the remixes are of little interest to me. But I guess they have to include them to balance out the package.

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sorry, it was obviously a typo on my part -- what I meant to say was "The blisters have always been on the stereo mix of the White Album, never on the MONO mix." (I have to stop posting from my damn phone.) Anyway, you had said that the blisters quote "didn't happen on the original pressings" -- I was just trying to clarify that it had NEVER been on the mono LPs (ANY pressings) and had ALWAYS been on the stereo mix (ALL pressings). That's all -- sorry to confuse things more.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

What I meant was...that the blisters quote never happened on ANY mono pressings...I think I probably worded my original post ambiguously...
    Whew! Glad we straightened that out!

Sean Murdock likes this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I agree. There are loads of session tapes that Apple could monetize by releasing them. They could have put out more mono CD box sets than they did. And I can think of very few acts even approaching their stature that don't have considerably more compilations out. Plus they have been relatively stingy when it comes to licensing their songs for movies, TV, and especially commercials. (They can't control ATV's ability to license Lennon/McCartney songs for others to cover.) Whether we agree with their choices or not, Apple seems to be more concerned about what they put out than how much money they can pull in.

bherbert likes this.
  7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

I’m curious of how the incorporation of the Apple Label and sleeves will look. I wonder how they’ll represent Hey Jude/Revolution in the box since they are tied to the sessions. Wonder if they’ll reproduce the Apple 45 sleeves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’d also like to see how they incorporate the packaging as a whole:

[​IMG]

Spadeygrove and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I heard they're going to Spectorize these........

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Keith V likes this.
  9. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Been saying this all year. The best we can expect is maybe an Abbey Road box in 2019.

bherbert and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And (hopefully) Let It Be (a/k/a Get Back). The original film should get an official release finally.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Never knew about these tapes! Would love to hear that!

Sean Murdock and petem1966 like this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Well, a year or two ago we all thought that Apple would "never" approve ANY deluxe reissue of any album -- simply because they never had before. Before the Pepper box was rumored, when we thought "something" might be coming for the anniversary, nobody predicted a lavish four-disc set.

These things are always "impossible" until they happen. The Pepper box happened, it was a big hit, and they were happy enough with the results to extend the project to another (single) LP pressing next month. Ringo and Giles have already said they'd love a White Album box -- and, even if they have mostly ignored it, there's an EU copyright deadline looming in 2018. No other album (save Get Back / Let It Be) has the raw tonnage of vault material available for a deluxe box. I'm not predicting that it will definitely happen, but if I had to guess at the chances, I'd say it's 60/40 that it does.

13. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Yes, I do remember when all the speculation was that there would be a simple re-release with the SFF/PL single included either within the running order or tacked onto the end. But there was one prediction about a big box set...

14. Sean Murdock

Yes, you were on the right track with your prediction in April ... of course, it helped that news of a multi-disc Pepper release had been burning up the rumor mill since early March! :agree: ;)

DeeThomaz and Alex D. like this.
  15. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

I really did not remember speculation about a multi-disc release. I do think there were some people saying “wouldn’t it be nice if they did such and such” but when I made that prediction a few days before the press release, I thought I was alone. Everyone was only talking about SFF and PL because that’s what was teased in some news article. I did just take a quick glance at the big anticipation thread and I see Arnold Grove teasing multidisc on page one. Might have missed that or didn’t realize how “in the know” he was back then.

I think most were very surprised at the announcement which backs up your point.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  16. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Turning it down to zero is! ;-)

Lownote30 likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Yes, "Party Time Arnie" disappeared for a couple of weeks last March, and was replaced by "Insider Arnie." Great guy -- hope to hear from him again in 2018! :agree:
    True, everyone was thrilled at the size and scale of the Pepper box when it was announced. There were lots of breadcrumbs and hints throughout March, and by the end of the month we had a pretty good idea of where we were headed:

Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

A few days into April, the rumors started getting more accurate:

Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Sadly, my own "wish list" prediction -- a complete LOVE-style overhaul of Pepper with all new mashups and track list -- was completely ignored. :shake: Something I will still attempt on my own one of these days...

petem1966 and Alex D. like this.
  18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If anyone uses Google and looks up "The Beatles," this thread will NEVER show up.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I think Bernard Purdie is going to overdub the drums... :wtf:

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm back to full-time partying. My insider days are done. Too much work ... ;)

21. Sean Murdock

Say it ain't so!

22. I'm really not looking for a deluxe with the Mono, original Stereo mix. Just give me a remix with outtakes, etc. Another big box when a little box would suffice is cool with me. I don't need my FIFTH copy of the original White Album.

23. Sean Murdock

I agree about leaving out the original stereo mix, which is widely (and inexpensively) available. But they may include the mono because it's otherwise unavailable on CD outside the mono box. My priorities are (1) the outtakes and demos (2-3 discs, please!), (2) the remix, and (3) the rest of the packaging and do-dads.

supermd and Flippikat like this.
  24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Would pay $200 if box included these recordings, they can keep the Esher stuff.

25. Sean Murdock

Why sell it short? The Esher demos are essential, imo.

EDIT: If it makes you feel better, my "Lewisohn list" of the Pepper-era tracks was pretty short, and they gave us WAY more than what was on it:

YES -- 11-24-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 1 -- complete unfaded take (2:34) with ALL overdubs (87)
    YES -- 11-28-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 4 -- with overdubs and at ORIGINAL speed; deemed "best" and mixed for mono (88)
    YES -- 11-29-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 7 -- complete unfaded take with all overdubs; mono mix 3 deemed "best" (88)
    CLOSE -- 12-06-66 -- "When I'm 64" -- Take 1 -- complete; Lewisohn doesn't say if there was a live vocal. Take 2 would be the master. (89)
    YES -- 12-15-66 -- "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- Take 26 -- complete "fast" version at original speed; mixed to mono (90)
    YES -- 12-20-66 -- "When I'm 64" -- Take 4 (reduction mix of Take 2) -- with backing vocals and Ringo's bells added, but before the clarinets on 12/21. (90)
    NO -- 01-05-67 -- "Carnival of Light" (aka "Untitled) -- Take 1 -- Either the full 13:48 (with overdubs) in it's original mono mix, or (preferably) a coherent edit mixed to stereo. Personally, I think there might be something interesting here, based only on Lewisohn's description -- but then, I love "Revolution 9" so... (92)
    YES -- 01-17-67 -- "Penny Lane" -- mono remix 11 -- The Canadian promo version with the trumpet ending (92)
    CLOSE -- 02-02-67 -- "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" -- Take 10 -- a "demo remix, for acetate purposes" before horns, George's guitar solo and the sound effects were added on 3/3 and 3/6. (95)
    YES -- 02-09-67 -- "Fixing A Hole" -- Takes 1 & 2 -- "both very good" and both considered "master" takes. Both recorded with vocals -- "unusual" in 1967. Take 2 was subjected to further overdubs on 2/21 and became the final version. (95)
    CLOSE -- 02-17-67 -- "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" -- Take 9 -- remix 1 from the day of tracking, before the effects loops were assembled (2/20) and superimposed (3/29). (98) A composite of Takes 1, 2 and 7 was released on A2.
    NO -- 02-22-67 -- "Anything" (aka "Drum Track") -- Take 1 -- God, NOT the full 22:10 take (!), but perhaps something fun could be made of it -- give Ringo a chance to shine! (99)
    NO -- 03-20-67 -- "Beatle Talk" -- Take 1 -- "Quite what was said is not known for neither the recording sheet nor the tape box are very revealing and the tape itself was taken away by George Martin and never returned" (103). Time for Sir George to clean his closet again!​

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    supermd, marmalade166 and Flippikat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.