The Beatles "White Album" Super Deluxe Speculative Box / Remix*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I don't think you'd see anything on their website until close to the release if in fact they release it

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Normally, I'd happily welcome a remix, but it's gonna be way too damn LOUD, just like Sgt. Pepper, so I don't need/want that.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Let’s hope that Apple returns to 2009 levels for the White Album project. Perhaps the high compression levels on Pepper remix were done to emulate the mono mix punch that they strived for? Whatever reason, I agree with you that it was not needed and made the stereo remix less likeable (or totally unlikeable) for many of us.

The White Album listening experience would definitely benefit from a new remix if done right. We’ve heard some good snippets (such as Savoy Truffle) on the Harrison documentary or on Love (love the Revolution remix). Both of those were done by Giles and so let’s hope the he follows that approach rather than the more recent Pepper one.

andrewskyDE, AllenR, Plan9 and 4 others like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Therr is about 50 tracks in as good quality as the stuff on the BBC releases still in the vaults. But there would be quite a few preformances of the same songs in such a release. Also included could be the six performances with Pete Best though not in good quality. (But still you can hear what, and how, they played, so they are not abysimal). So 56 tracks it could be.

andrewskyDE and polk like this.
  5. tages

tages Senior Member

I don’t mind hearing the voices panned, the way The Beatles intended.

6. HenkW

HenkW Active Member

I'm not sure if what I want are the 2012/2014 releases. Got some cd reissues but lately mostly I listen to my first Dutch stereo vinyl pressing I bought in 1968. They ar in a good state and sounds "familiar". As I mentioned before I'm not a big fan of remixing well known albums. But we all have different taste fortunately. Just out of curiosety: what would you want to change in the mix of the White Album?

7. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

There is nothing specifically I want to change, I'm happy with the Stereo mix as is but then I was happy with the Sgt. Pepper's Stereo mix as well. I just want to hear what Giles Martin would do with it as I really like what he did with Sgt. Pepper. I've already got the 2012/2014 remasters so I think that the 50th anniversary should be special and interesting. It's 2 discs already so would they have to have a 4 disc set for the vinyl? Who knows! It's not about anything being wrong with the mix we have it's just hearing a new take but in a way that isn't too far removed from the original. You'd also get maximum clarity because even though I think they introduced 8 track for that album there still would have been bouncing and generation loss. Also if they'd do The White Album then there is a chance at a really cool release for Abbey Road.

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

You're all set then!

tages likes this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sure, I know there's still a lot of good-sounding BBC tapes in the vault. But all the unique, non-album covers were covered on the first two volumes, and that -- with the best performances of all their other hits -- is where the real appeal is. I wouldn't want a third volume just for the sake of releasing 50 more decent-sounding tracks, if it means three or four more versions of "From Me To You" or whatever. As I said, if they decided to do a "Complete BBC" in chronological order -- so all the individual shows are intact -- I'd surely buy it. But a Vol. 3 with repeats of songs that were already deemed worse than the ones released on the first two? Not too exciting...

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's so when you listen in headphones you have to throw them off and say "Bloody Hell!" in the middle of a song.

11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

That's what I thought about Vol 2. Until I got Vol 2.

What they think is best (sounds most like the record) and what I think is best (raw energy and Beatle fire unencumbered by Martin bloat and overthink) are two different things.

Caveat to this - I'm not intimately familiar with what BBC is still out there unreleased, so they may have indeed covered their idea and my idea of best across the previous two.

Still, I'd rather have a Vol 3 than not have a Vol 3. And, honestly, I'd rather have a Vol 3 than have 45 minutes of them goofing around in front of a microphone about Christmas.

DeeThomaz, Sean Murdock and supermd like this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There is that four minute version of Honey Don't.

It was edited for at least one broadcast I believe, and that edited version may be the one on Vol 2.

Mainspark likes this.
  13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Fair enough, but honestly, the unique and exciting performances are released by now.
    The official remainings from 1963 that appeared on The Bootleg Recordings 1963, was by all means an indicator that the rest of the stuff is either unimaginative performances or simply straight up or near-identical performances of what's on the 2 official releases. That Apple decided to include 4 lenghty solo interviews + an outtake of a session, more than tells that the bottom of the barrell for what is interesting to be released, has now reached it's limit.

It's fine that there are fans of this material, myself included, and there were some really great and interesting variations on the second set (On Air) that was left off the first installment, but for those who needs everything from these sessions, I find it fair that they will have to reach out for the grey market releases, which are public domain now anyway.

14. Kim Olesen

I find a lot of the versions in the vault better than the official BBC ones.

15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Make that fourteen more versions. They sang From Me To You more than any other song on the BBC.

andrewskyDE and Sean Murdock like this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Some of them were on BBR 63 and others aren’t in releasable quality though. If counting versions that sound decent-good there is only two that hasn’t been released. The songs that has the most good sounding unreleased versions is Boys (5 recordings), I Saw Her Standing There (4 versions)
    There are 3 Long Tall Sally versions and 3 of Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby and the rest has two or one versions. This includes very good Renditions of Sure To Fall, The Hippy Hippy Shake and some songs that has not been released despite quite listenable. The Night Before, I Call Your Name, I Should Have Known Better and I’m Happy Just To Dance With You.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And did they ever get it right? ;)

jlf, edenofflowers and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I can understand leaving off the few songs done with Pete Best, because Apple wouldn't have to deal with Pete anymore.

BUT there was room on ON AIR (Volume 2) to include The Night Before, I Call Your Name, I Should Have Known Better and I’m Happy Just To Dance With You. I have no idea why they left those off.

19. Kim Olesen

I understand that decision too. I am not even counting the Pete Best tracks amongst the releasable ones. If i did there’d be 66 tracks instead of 60.

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I presume that count includes "From Us To You" as well.

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, From Us To You is not included in the count. They did two different broadcast versions of that.

22. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I love SHF!

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

How about that White Album? No versions of "From Me To You" on that one... ;)

marmalade166 likes this.
  24. And in the future, some of us will try to recall where this discussion of BBC recordings was, to no avail. :)

Sean Murdock, supermd and DeeThomaz like this.
  25. slane

slane Forum Resident

Could be, if the 'Titles' compilation that was made at the WA sessions is included on a Deluxe version ;)

Sean Murdock and Kim Olesen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.