The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I used to feel like this, but there are some he gives more credit than John takes, like I Saw Her Standing There & Love Me Do.

nikh33 and Fivebyfive like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You cant just listen to the words of Rigby and know its a Paul song? Sure sounds like it to me.

nikh33 and Fivebyfive like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, as Nik said, it was a song with a long gestation period, and according to Paul, Pete, Ringo and George, it was definitely a song that a few people contributed to. John could easily have also added a line, but I don't believe that 70% of the lyrics were his.

905, nikh33 and Fivebyfive like this.
  4. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

That's pretty much what I think. It was a windup. John was claiming 70% credit for Eleanor Rigby because the song had received so much praise. But nothing about Eleanor Rigby sounds like a John song. I remember some quote (I'll try to find it) where John even ridiculed Paul's tendency to write songs about lonely people on buses or somesuch.

Lost In The Flood and theMess like this.
  5. Father McCartney to this song is like Scrambled Eggs to Yesterday. It was an initial part of the writing progress.

Grant, zobalob, 905 and 2 others like this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And surprising ones like 'Here There and Everywhere' which Paul gives John 20 or 30% for. Which surprised me, at least.

zobalob likes this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That doesn't mean anything. Paul has admitted that he didn't want to argue or disagree with John through the press, so he intentionally bit his tongue during the mid and late 70's. Also, Paul was handed a long list and quickly looked at it, and that is why he only mentioned 'In My Life', which must have stuck out to him. That cannot be taken as meaning that he agreed with everything on the list.

I also have to point out that John himself disagreed with his own list when he did another interview in 1980; for instance, in 1971 he said that Two Of Us was his, whereas in 1980 he doesn't say that.

Paul didn't start speaking about Beatles until a few years after the split, when things had cooled down between them and when most of the arguing had stopped. John was asked first, and Paul second; that doesn't mean that Paul is claiming 'more and more credits', it simply means that he is finally having his say and adding balance to things.

Remember, John admitted to lying for fun in his 70's interviews, so his word is not Gospel.

905 and fatoldsun like this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I don't know about the lyrics but the melody on ER has Paul's stamp on it.

9. Fivebyfive

Which songs are you talking about? Mr. Kite? Paul hasn't claimed sole credit for that; just that it was a co-write.

What other songs are you referring to?

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Paul has recently claimed he co-wrote A Hard Day's Night, Ticket to Ride and Help! which he had never even mentioned before and John claimed were his (apart from the arranging and performance credit he gives him, ie drums in Ticket, backing vocal and tempo in Help!)

zobalob likes this.
  11. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

No one has ever disputed that from what I remember.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that Paul always tries to say what he remembers, and he certainly doesn't seem to be trying to deny John credit; 'Here, There And Everywhere' is just one example of him crediting John. At the same time, because John is dead, when Paul mentions something like 'Mr. Kite' he is accused of stealing credit, when in reality he is simply finally having his say. In the 70's Paul didn't want to speak about the Beatles in interviews, as he has confirmed, and that is why we only have John's comments from that time. Paul only felt comfortable speaking about it in the years after the early 70's arguing had stopped.

fatoldsun likes this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's how John played 'Only You' (see Ringo's version) :)

Play 'In My Life' in 6/8 (12/8? - think 'This Boy'), and you'll see how close to WITNOTW it is.

(And even the second chord of WITNOTW fits the melody of IML - that should be C#7, by the way).

14. Fivebyfive

But again, Paul only says he contributed to those tracks, not that he was the main songwriter on any of those.

15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I edited my post as you were posting to give a fuller picture.
    In 1964 Paul spoke of how John had written A Hard Day's Night by himself but by 2010 it had become a co-write.

16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

No, the sound effects exist in all 5 channels, but mostly in the center and rear channels. The center channel is almost exclusively the sound effects, so using only front Left+Right does lessen the sound effects considerably, without losing important musical elements.

slane likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Job? What kind of job? I'm too busy to think about getting a job ... :

[​IMG]

;)

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

As you know, a while back I pointed out that Paul never spoke about The Beatles (actually until Spring 1980, unfortunately) while John talked about them all the time. But Paul's memory is playing him tricks sometimes- not to the level of a Geoff Emerick, thankfully, and he does sometimes bring up surprising memories like George being responsible for And I Love Her's haunting guitar lick, but he says things like "I think" and "I must have" which don't fill me with complete confidence.
    Anyway, Mr Kite is clearly a song Paul remembers working on so that's not really in doubt. And to be honest, John and Paul were always a team in that I bet each one thought to himself, after coming up with a particularly nice bit of melody or lyric, "That will impress him!" Which of course it did, spurring them on to impress, outdo and delight each other even when not sitting eyeball to eyeball writing as in the I Want to Hold Your Hand days.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Grant, zobalob, goodiesguy and 4 others like this.
  19. Fivebyfive

Which interview are you referring to? Just curious. Paul's use of words in his interviews these days is not always precise. :cool: So by "co-wrote," he could have meant he contributed to those songs.

20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

We discussed this a while back and delved into it all. Sorry I can't find it, but we figured Paul was upgrading his 'arranging' ideas into 'writing' on some and misremembering others.

zobalob likes this.
  21. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:biglaugh:

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

So heaven is real after all. :D

23. Fivebyfive

That's probably the case. And by today's standard -- where anyone who contributes the least bit gets their name on the song credit -- there really would be no Lennon-McCartney credit. They'd have to give credit to anyone who ever suggested a line.

nikh33 likes this.
  24. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The youtube video you are refering to is just one single track of the 4track tape therefore it does not feature any double tracked vocals. Just one vocal by John, Paul (and George joining them for chorus, middle section"aaaah" and outro).
    During the 1:53 part Paul is supposed to sing the lower harmony again but he erroneously sings in unison with John "she only played" then he realises his mistake and goes on the lower harmony on "one night stands".
    They double tracked their voices on another track where Paul sang the line correctly so the harmony is not missing in the final recording during that part.

Ondra

Mal likes this.
  25. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Boy, do you need to clean up! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.