The Beatles 1 and 1+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member Thread Starter

Somehow the old "The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases" was closed with no apparent continuation.
    So, to answer a question I was asked back there:
    From Me To You was a huge hit in Britain, but in the US it's practically unknown (it was never on a Capitol LP until 1973!)
    John and Paul sing the verses in unison on the first half od the first line: "If there's anything"
    John stays low, Paul goes high on the next part of the line: "...that you want"
    Back to unison for the second line first half: "If there's anything"
    But the next part, JOHN sings falsetto leaping over: "...I can do"
    Back to unison "Just call on me and I'll send it along"
    Then Paul goes high, John low again on "with love from me to you".

2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Was the thread closed?? I didn't notice anything untoward going on... well, not recently. Hope it's just a blip, there's a wealth of information there, no matter how long the thread is. Speaking of From Me To You, it is a bit strange that they chose the mono mix. My best guess is that they didn't want to start the disc with mono, stereo, mono. Glad I have Barrett's/Scott's stereo mix in my archive... sounds damn good too. Ron

PS What a vocal tour de force on this song! Wonder what George Martin thought when he heard it the first time?

FJFP, goodiesguy, supermd and 3 others like this.
  3. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Only thing I was unhappy with is the awful video for Get Back . It's terrible! Oops..... I meant to type Come Together . It's early and I just awoke!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    FJFP, fortherecord, Tero and 2 others like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

What's wrong with it?

5. nikh33

He must have had the hairs on the back of his neck stand up and think "Oh, boy, this is going to be a great session!"
    Pity John had a cold and a short temper (The One After 909 bit!) that day.
    The only good stereo version is that John Barrett one. Don't know why they haven't released it.

bumbletort and theMess like this.
  6. nikh33

Neither of the two Get Back videos is perfect. The rooftop one has vintage synch issues which I'm prepared to live with, and is a little grainy. The studio one doesn't have the coda (bad mark!) but is a rather jolly promo.

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

I thought you might ;)

nikh33 likes this.
  8. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I guess they only consider the mono mix and the stereo mix from A Collection of Beatles Oldies canon at this point. And the stereo mix lacks the famous harmonica intro. I guess that's also why they used the mono mix for the original 1, the remastered 1 and the 1962-1966 CD reissues. The stereo mix is more or less a "rarity" at this point only found on Past Masters.

btw, I've read that the stereo mix isn't really a mix at all, just the 2-track recording "as is" because George Martin didn't have enough time to finish it for A Collection of Beatles Oldies. Is that true? That would be one more reason why they always prefer the mono mix.

Maidenpriest and nikh33 like this.
  9. nikh33

We can all agree with that!

vonwegen, goodiesguy, supermd and 3 others like this.
  10. nikh33

Yes, it's just the twin track. If it was a proper mix, no doubt George Martin would have added the harmonica intro, probably the same way they did with Please Please Me.

funkydude likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Love the way the lead guitar finally sounds like a lead instrument rather than a buried detail on IWTHYH.

Though it makes the video of them strumming acoustics on this song look even sillier.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  12. nikh33

Played on George's Rickenbacker 6 string he'd just bought in the US, apparently. I don't think he ever played that guitar again outside of a few October TV shows.

vonwegen likes this.
  13. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Interesting. I can see why they are neglecting it. I don't know why George Martin never did a proper stereo mix though. Maybe for the original CD reissues as with Help! and Rubber Soul.

14. omar ravenhurst

omar ravenhurst Well-Known Member

It might have been a run of 180 off-topic postings, perhaps?
    Discussion of the release had long ago ceased in favour of the usual Lennon vs McCartney tropes.

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Start a new thread for every Beatles related discussion: "Hey - your multiple Beatles threads are clogging up the front page!"
    Keep all Beatles related discussion in one topic: "Hey - your one Beatles thread has gone off course!"

On Topic: FYI for 5.1 fans - The surround mix of Get Back on the + Blu-Ray is much more enjoyable than the one on the 1 Blu-Ray.

16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

And I was gonna ask if anyone fancied having a go at listing the mix differences for each track on 1 and 1+...

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I knew those two would get the thread closed. I hope they were banned !

KinkySmallFace1991 and Digital-G like this.
  18. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Just heard new versions of Real Love and FAAB - I agree with others who said they now sound much more like the Beatles. I think that both would have done better in the charts with these mixes.

If they just left Jeff Lynne run with the new production, then he hit it out of the park. To me, these sound more ike Giles than Jeff but maybe Jeff realized with hindsight the tracks had too much of an ELO feel, and/or simply didn't sound like the Beatles. Either way, I love them, and they really deserve to be on official audio release!

19. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I
    I thought the old FAAB and Real Love already sounded like the Beatles. Albeit with a slight ELO vibe.

I haven't heard them yet. Why do you say they sound more like the Beatles now. It already was the Beatles.

FJFP, GV1967 and Maidenpriest like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wow nikh, nobody has started a thread for me before. ;)

This is so interesting. Thank you for sharing! Simply amazing

Mr. Explorer, theMess and nikh33 like this.
  21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Real Love sounds much more organic. More emphasis on the "band instruments," less emphasis on the production. The instrumentation and voices shine individually rather than coming at you like a wall. It's also very much less noisy when "John" comes in and out.

Free As a Bird is less drastic, but "John's" vocal is much more realistic sounding (there's even a slight effect on it that kind of draws out each phrase more than before I think) and so are the drums. The misstep in my eyes is the different George vocal line, which is inferior and, instead of Paul singing "Lives" and George singing "Life" (which seemed to signal a different attitude about the same concept), now Paul still sings "Lives" and George sings "Love" which are totally different concepts.

22. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

What he said. I have them on repeat...

23. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

I bet he had enough of synching the two "From Me To You" intros for the mono version and couldn't face doing it again later for a stereo mix.

PhoffiFozz and nikh33 like this.
  24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I can't get into the new FAAB though, the new drum sound is better but I don't like the new vocal, Lennon is too buried (i like the fact they are singing over a demo etc), so I re-done the original single by manipulating the EQ to bring the drum sound less and added the bird noises for the intro and reversed the ending so after the Uke it plays backwards for that section so it still has the 'Turns Out Nice Again' bit (similar to the reversed ending version of When We Was Fab) :)

Klassik, JimC and Huck Caton like this.
  25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I think the new FAAB &Real Love & the 50 videos are gonna be the high points for me with this package

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.