The Beatles 1 and 1+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:laugh:

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think it's to give a more spacious feeling, maybe of a larger room than the one you're already in. With classical recordings you get the venue acoustics captured in the recording superimposed on your own room acoustics, and unless you treat your listening room, this might result in confusing aural cues. With these artificially produced reverbs who knows what kind of aural mishmash you may get?

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  3. Yeah rush job Probably worked on it for about two weeks :tiphat:

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Also--and this might be something else to complain about :p--I think it gets kinda harsh when I turn it up, so I don't want it loud enough to bounce off my walls, sadly. -E

5. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I included "intentional decisions" in my opinion on this matter as some people on here have suggested the issues we are discussing (Eight Days A Week outro, missing intro piano on A Day In The Life, additional piano chord after the word "think" in The Ballad Of John And Yoko) are the product of intentional mixing choices made by Giles Martin. In other words he put these parts in or removed them deliberately. It is my opinion that he did not and that these new anomalies are the result of mistakes that were left in his mix and not discovered through a checking process. To clarify my statement in my earlier post, I believe anything that results in things like extra and/or missing notes, chords and extra beats that obviously do not sync up with the original track detract from the music. The piano chord after "think" and the outro tom tom issue were clearly considered to be faults (for want of a better word) by the band, George Martin and the EMI mixing team at the time and were fixed. 50 years later Giles Martin comes along and undoes the corrections. That to me is not a good look.

As an example on my thinking, take the unused electric guitar solo in Here Comes The Sun that was "uncovered" a few years ago. A pleasant surprise to us all. However, would it be appropriate for Giles or some other person to put it back into a remix of the song for a remixed Abbey Road project? As a bonus track, maybe but in the album proper running order? No. That kind of "outfake" thing would be more suited to the Anthology albums where the context of such a mix is way different. Yet, the EDAW outro and BOJAY additional piano chord have found their way onto a remixed version of one of the biggest selling albums of this century. Had they just been on the audio of the video clips on the DVD and Blu-ray it wouldn't be so bad.

Scotophor, winston32, supermd and 4 others like this.
  6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Eight Days A Week shouldn't even be included anyway it is not an 'Official' single IMO its an album track, that is why The Beatles never did a promo for it !!

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

LOL! That would've solved the outro issue!

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Forget the song, I'm glad it got included because we then got the GREAT Shea Stadium footage for the simple reason that there was no promo!
    Although personally, I like the song too.

JimC likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How is it not an official single? #1 in the US.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It was an official single in the US

11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

We demand less!

12. tosaguy

tosaguy Active Member

With the original mixes, I only noticed the songs. No particular instrument was shoved in my face. The stereo field may not have been balanced, but the instrument levels were. Those original engineers at Abbey Road knew what they were doing.

Listening to the remixes on 1, I find myself thinking things like, "Oh, that snare drum is way too loud... and those vocals are harsh. How annoying... especially when I turn up the volume." For me, this detracts from the songs & performances themselves (the only things I'm really interested in). Lucky I still have the original mixes. :)

Crunchie, Plan9 and Maidenpriest like this.
  13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Methinks Mr Hall forgot the sarcasm emoji. ;)

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The guitars always sound out of tune on that song

15. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I agree but I said "out of time". Hearing the isolated 5.1 channels posted by Dinstun earlier in the thread the guitars in the left channel seem fine but the guitars in the right channel sound slightly out of time in the first three strums of the outro. I'm not sure if that is related to the out of sync toms though. Might just be a reverb delay.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

You're right - sorry, didn't read carefully enough. :cool:

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Always possible. I'm not always good at reading between the lines. Then I may come across as too earnest.

Veech likes this.
  18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thanks. You can clearly hear that there are two versions of the toms/guitar track (but only one main backing track, I think). What's puzzling is why the clearly inferior overdub has been used at all, never mind that it's been mixed to be so much more prominent than the good one.

Totally agree.

supermd likes this.
  19. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

And that is the real question here. What happened with the remix? An intentional decision? An oversight? For me, the similarities between the EDAW outro issue and the If I Fell vocal issue from last year's AHDN soundtrack are striking. In both cases, a previously "hidden" bit of recording that was mixed out in favour of a corrective bit of recording has become audible, to the detriment of both remixed songs. That suggests at the very least, poor checking of work. At worst, sloppiness.

20. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

The "Love" 5.1 mix is far different and better than this one!

zobalob likes this.
  21. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

This set is great. Remixes don't bug me a bit; blu-ray sound is so different from vinyl that I would attribute any differences to that if I hadn't read about remixing. Actually on some of the TV clips I liked the remixing; on some of the early TV performances the difference from the vocal sound I was used to almost suggested a live vocal mic (I think Can't Buy Me Love seemed this way, though I didn't reference the book while watching.) Honestly, I would have preferred a single disc with just the vintage clips -- no post-1970 edits, and no need to cover every track on the "1" album, but if this is how they had to market it to make it worth the time/investment, I have no complaint.

One neat thing I haven't seen discussed: McCartney's vocal ad-libbing of the "'take a load off" line from The Weight on his live mic on the Hey Jude clip. Wikipedia says that Big Pink was released July 1, 1968 (I'm sure that's approximate), so I thought that was pretty interesting that it had already made and impression on the Beatles.

JimC and Sean Murdock like this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I read about that line from The Band several times in several threads over many years. I'm not going to search for them on this forum, but it certainly has been discussed.

NaturalD likes this.
  23. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I just searched this thread. Could have spent a whole day reading results for "weight" or "band" :)

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I didn't realize how much I'm supposed to hate this release. Thanks to the Beatles-obsessives here for setting me straight.

Lost In The Flood and chacha like this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Whaaat.... Even many are nitpicking (rightfully or wrongly) most obsessivers are ranging from ok to hayyy with the release.

slane and Maidenpriest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.