The Beatles 1 and 1+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

“It’s because of you, you got the piano wrong and now my whole life is a misery”...

Lemon Curry, forthlin and MHP like this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

My opinion - Giles re-used the Love mix of ADITL on 1+ thinking it was a straight remix. He forgot that that it had the intro piano mixed out.

MoonPool, supermd, Colocally and 8 others like this.
  3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Can't like this post enough :)

Kim Olesen likes this.
  4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

His statement shows he knows the piano is missing now, and likely only knows because he was asked what happened to it. It does not show he knew the piano was missing at the time.

You will also not find a statement where he says he used that mix because the piano was missing, which is the only way you can prove your claim that it was not a mistake.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    MoonPool and numer9 like this.
  5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Of course that’s the most likely explanation for what’s happened. But I also think he wouldn’t have mistakenly thought it was a straight remix had he mixed it himself in the first place.

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Have any members successfully ripped the Blu-Ray discs and placed the videos on a Plex media server? I need some tips for organizing this content.

Onder likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Yes on the ripping, but I don't have Plex. I have them ripped to m2ts files on my hard drive numbered 02-xx and 03-xx to be in line with the 01-xx numbering of the CD.

I don't remember for the life of me how I did it, though. I may have said how I did it in this thread at the time (2 years and a month ago).

pobbard likes this.
  8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

A big mistake in jumping in here but...yes, he used the LOVE mix on purpose. However, the "cringe" description implies he didn't actively realize the piano was missing until afterwards.

Of course, maybe he didn't cringe. Perhaps he gloated. If the latter, then I follow you! :D

ToneLa likes this.
  9. I often can't remember which thread I'm in, since I keep reading the same thing in several threads, posted by the same people.

ToneLa and Arnold Grove like this.
  10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

There's a good reason for that. There's actually only one thread on the whole forum, a Beatles thread, listed with hundreds of different thread titles.

Keith V, sallymae_hogsby and pobbard like this.
  11. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I tried to listen again recently and I can't get pass the obvious extra compression on the music tracks and the thinned out vocal sound. The old mixes always had a warm present vocal sound and the new mixes make the vocals a bit hollow and distant sounding. Not good.

I swear it's always two steps forward and three steps back when they touch those tapes.

supermd, fantgolf and Onder like this.
  12. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Hey, your not alone man.
    If you know nothing about the Beatles, take comfort in that I know LESS than nothing compared to these mean spirited trolls who love to attack anyone who they disagree with.
    Pop open a bev', put on some tunes and watch them eat each other.
    Beave

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

What about the "he cringes?"
    Perhaps he cringed because he now knows he made a mistake.
    Why else would he cringe? (Unless he was reading this thread, which would have been an even bigger mistake)

I read the very same statement as others and it is clear to me that he is inferring that he made a mistake (hence the cringe).

14. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

But, to play devil's advocate, the "cringe" appeared to be a subjective observation from the writer himself.

Skywheel and nikh33 like this.
  15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

He might have cringed in anticipation of the ferocious vituperation he would receive by admitting that he used the Love source with missing piano instead of hewing more faithfully to the original mix.

thrivingonariff and Frank like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

By the way, for the immaterial interpretive-battle argument taking up the past 3 pages: gentlemen...has it even occurred to you that Giles "cringed", not because he realized he chose a performance without the piano, but, just because he admitted to going back to his own previous work to present it again, rather than doing the work a second time, because that's what you expect for your hard-earned money? That he wasn't embarrased by his choice, or his choosing something that omitted something important to the original, but that instead of making the complete souffle...he reached into the fridge behind him and hauled out one he'd already had ready-to-go? That his "shameful act" was merely that he "cribbed his own notes"? :idea:

dewey02 and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Find some new bands to produce and do a great uncompressed production job with them. That's the way to make his name rather living off (or destroying) his father's work. He wasted a lot of effort in producing something inferior as far as I am concerned. Only 5.1 makes any sense for that market but then difficult to do that well from older pre multitrack recordings.

18. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member Thread Starter

It's a sneeze.

19. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I think it was a mistake personally, the BBC aren't fake news, they probably even let him check the story before publication. It isn't an agenda piece, and nor is it worded vaguely.

He's never countered that article, never cleared it up, objected, disagreed...

I just can't see any reason you'd disagree with it being a mistake. Some of the reasons it might "not" be, are wild...! Occam's razor, the most likely solution. The trusted news source is probably right.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Then why even believe that the writer interviewed Giles? Perhaps he made up the entire interview? :doh:

Darrin L. and Zeki like this.
  21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I found the reporter who did the Giles interview. Seems legit! :laugh:

[​IMG]

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That's it! The writers arbitrarily insert descriptive phrases, just to spice things up.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Has it even occurred to you it could be both?

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Get out the pitchforks and torches! How exactly has he destroyed his father's work? Last time I checked it was all still readily available.

25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Imagine no mistakes.
    I wonder if you can?
    No need for second pianos
    'Cause I'm the son of my old man!

thrivingonariff and Gems-A-Bems like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.