The Beatles 1 and 1+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I think the question should be: How has he enhanced it?

(aside from Love, which I am still not sure he had a substantial role in creating)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Fair enough.

3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I like the work Giles has done, because the old stereo mixes were unlistenable to me, and I’ve always went with mono Beatles.

I’m glad the old stereo mixes are there and the new ones are readily available just the same. It’s not that big of deal, listen to them or not, it’s not as if my old Sgt Pepper disappeared when I put the new one on my shelf

Frank likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, in normal conversations with people who use a specialty craft, no, it wouldn't occur to me. Just seems to me like the most normal thing for him to be fake-shamed about something like that, I would not presume to take his "cowering" literally in such a case.

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Attempts to be determine exactly what Giles did or meant on the basis of the BBC piece require a degree of faith in journalistic accuracy (and Giles Martinistic-accuracy) and thoroughness that is greater than is warranted.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This is my biggest complaint with with 1+ mixes.

Onder likes this.
  7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

This is a curious detour ... I thought it was pretty widely accepted that Giles was almost ENTIRELY responsible for the LOVE mixes / mashups, with his father credited as "Producer" mainly out of respect.

8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Well, the mono mixes did kind of "go away" for quite some time, in that they were mostly out of print after about 1968 and not widely available for decades later, aside from some 45s and the odd occasional limited-edition reissue like the red vinyl mono reissue albums from Japan.

The first time there was a worldwide reissue of mono albums was when the first four albums came out in mono on CD in 1987. And in their case, they were commercially available in mono only for the next 22 years.

The 2009 mono box otherwise was really the first widely-available reissue of the mono versions of the Beatles albums.

9. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I find it generally odd that in most cases, Giles "replicated" the original stereo mixes, but ruined them with lousy compression. The compression itself isn't the problem, but the fact that it sounds incorrectly applied, or way overdone. You can hear bass frequencies poking in and out all over the place, which will briefly cause instability in the stereo image. It reminds me of the sound of those much-maligned Frank Zappa CD's from the 80's.

10. Gems-A-Bems

There are too many other people credited on that release for that to be the case.

11. vmajewsk

vmajewsk Forum Resident

You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself. Giles did, and now there is all this.

dlokazip and MarkTheShark like this.
  12. Sean Murdock

The only people credited with production on LOVE are George and Giles Martin. Yes, Paul Hicks and a cast of assistants are credited as Remix Engineers, but Giles is also credited for ProTools sequencing and programming -- plus, Giles did most of the interviews, Giles was the one who convinced Apple to go for it (with the "Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You Without You" mashup), and he's talked about it for a decade as if it were basically his project. In the original post I responded to you said that you weren't "sure he had a substantial role in creating" the LOVE remixes -- I guess I'm just trying to say that I think his role was substantial, to say the least.

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Then why even believe that the writer interviewed Giles?" Dewey02 stated, in a condescending manner, "perhaps he made up the entire interview?"

dewey02 likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

But you no longer think he was “almost ENTIRELY responsible”?

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Shocking concept here: Giles Martin has a professional life outside of tinkering with manna from heaven, aka the Beatles catalog. Forgetting one instrument in one remix isn't outside the realm of possibility.

soundQman likes this.
  16. Sean Murdock

Aside from the original 1960s credits that you needlessly included to make your impressive list even longer, yeah. If all those people were working under Giles' direction, and if all the mashups and mixes were done to his specifications, then yes I'd say he was "almost entirely responsible" for what we hear at the LOVE show and on the CD. I never said he personally, physically did every scrap of work by himself, did I? But he was the "Producer" and the producer directs those under him to get the end product he wants.

superstar19 and supermd like this.
  17. Gems-A-Bems

You don’t think what’s most impressive about the list is that it shows that Giles Martin was actually not “almost ENTIRELY responsible” for the album?

18. Gems-A-Bems

What’s also not outside the realm of possibility: that he wasn’t familiar with the intricacies of the mixes because he didn’t personally mix them in the first place.

19. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

That's what I wrote and that's what I meant. If you choose to not believe some of what the author said and wrote, why believe him for any of it?

20. Sean Murdock

Gems, I'm not interested in fighting with you about this, but let's go back to the beginning. You said you weren't sure that Giles played a "substantial role" in the LOVE project. I assumed you were talking about the division of labor between Giles and Sir George, and I replied with that in mind -- that it had long been assumed that between the two of them, Giles had been "almost entirely responsible" for the final product of the LOVE audio. I still stand by that, and I still question your doubt that he played a "substantial" role in the project. He's a co-producer, for crying out loud! Yes, he used a team -- as any producer of these large projects would -- but they worked FOR him, not the other way around. So I'm sorry to disagree again, but I do believe that Giles was "almost entirely responsible" for the vision and the final product of the LOVE audio. If you have evidence to back up your doubt -- besides a list of Giles' subordinates on the job -- I'd love to hear it.

superstar19 and supermd like this.
  21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I never said I chose not to believe anything, which is why I prefaced my statement by saying I was playing "devil's advocate".

dewey02 likes this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Sorry. I didn't mean it to be directed specifically to you (even though I responded to you).
    It was more a discussion of logic. If "one" chooses not to believe a writer on one item, why believe him on anything he said. I just used "you" as more of a common term. And yes, I do see that you were playing the devil's advocate on this.

Maybe that was what happened with Giles too..."the devil made him do it?" t (leave out the piano) :D

Darrin L. likes this.
  23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I can see both sides of this Giles spat.
    Personally, I think he did a great job on LOVE.
    Unfortunately, he hasn't done so well on subsequent projects.
    And (my opinion here), he has made several mistakes (yes mistakes) that should have been caught before things became final. And contrary to some folks interpretation, I believe he has pretty much admitted to a couple of them.

24. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

A reader can certainly question a part of piece of writing without questioning all of it.

dewey02 likes this.
  25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

One theory could be that when remixing tracks for Love, Giles hadn’t bound himself to any specific approach and did what he thought sounded best. For subsequent remix projects (1+ & Pepper), he decided to market the “mono but in stereo” approach and hence had to do things differently than Love. Personally, I much prefer his Love work and hope he remixes with an open mind when it comes to the White Album.

dewey02 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.