The Beatles Again (Hey Jude) - Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamesD1957, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked up a 1984 retro rainbow pressing of this album. It is SJ 385. Does anyone know the differences (if any) from the SW 385?

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

How’s it sound?

3. JamesD1957

Playing side one now....at first I thought it was a bit bright, but that's just Can't Buy Me Love. Right now I'm on Lady Madonna....this is the best vinyl version I've heard from that era. I'm just used to seeing SW 385.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Here's the entry in Discogs. It's a reissue from 1984.
    Hey Jude ‎(LP, Comp, RE) Capitol Records SJ-385 US 1984
    I also just learned that the Hey Jude covers were SW-385 and The Beatles Again covers were SO-385.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Any notable deadwax symbols? Does it have a Wally signature?

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The 80's rainbow pressings are actually among the nicest sounding of the American pressed Capitol/Apple. I have Hey Jude and include that in that category...I have a few others as well; The 80's rainbow White Album easily outdoes the '68 Apple pressing. The only one that's a bit of a disappointment is The Second Album which has a strangely muffled quality.

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've got this SJ-385 version of Hey Jude and think it sounds great. Definitely better than an US Apple pressing. Much harder to find, though.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. JamesD1957

Both of your opinions match what I'm hearing. I have an original that I purchased when it first came out, back when it was The Beatles Again. This is definitely an improvement. And I agree with the retro rainbow series being some of the nicest American pressings. I have the White, MMT, and a few earlier ones. If I'm not mistaken weren't many of these remastered by Wally Traugott?

9. JamesD1957

I won't be able to check until later this evening, but I'll post what I find.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

But our host says that the Capitol's all sound like caca.
    Now I'm cornfused! o_O

Beave

DK Pete and JamesD1957 like this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've owned the whole set of '84 Rainbows except for SPLHCB and MMT, and as far as I can recall every single one was mastered by Wally.

DK Pete and JamesD1957 like this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

This was not originally "a Capitol," in the usual sense. It was a Klein/ABKCO/Apple product, mastered at Bell Sound.

JamesD1957, DK Pete and slane like this.
  13. That might be the case on a 20k plus turntable and cart :tiphat:

JamesD1957 and DK Pete like this.
  14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I bought mine in 1981, was on the purple capitol label. My first Beatles album.

JamesD1957 and mcp like this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If I understood him correctly, it's the what Capitol did to some of the songs (reverb, duophonic mixes and such)that he strongly disliked (I could be wrong). but let's put it this way...*comparitively* speaking, the 80's rainbows are quite good and in many cases, better sounding than the original 60's pressings.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Do you have The Beatles' Second Album which I pointed out before? What do you think of it?

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Good question - I'll have to listen to my needledrop. I don't recall it being muffled compared to any of the others, I just thought any oddness to the sound was due to the Dave Dexter-izing.

Anyway. The rainbow labels. For the Dexter-ized albums, the rainbows have the best mastering of sub-par sources. Across the board, the vinyl used is dead quiet with a lower noise floor than any original Capitols, green label Capitols, orange label Capitol, early purple Capitols, or Apple pressings.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Don't be. It's relative to comparisons. Those early albums...yes. Hey Jude on a late press like the '83 being discussed here isn't bad at all. I had one and thought it was pretty good. I finally got rid of it because it wasn't as good as the UK's I have, but it is definitely a worthwhile addition if you can't get your hands on a UK press.

john lennonist and Ben Adams like this.
  19. The Beave

That's what I thought, but he seems to discount all the Capitol lips, across the board.
    And that can't be right.
    Beave

DK Pete likes this.
  20. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

So you can walk into any number of Barnes & Noble’s, vinyl shops, etc. and find a zillion Beatles vinyl reissues! But I can find “Hey Jude”! Has this album not been reissued along with their many others in the past, say, five years or so? And if not is there a reason?

21. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

No, it hasn't gotten a reissue as it's not considered "canonical"; it was a compilation released in 1970 designed to mop up stray tracks, mainly for the US market. It's mostly been replaced by the "Past Masters" series.

DK Pete and Nathan Aaron like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Hmmm...which Barnes and Nobles would that be??? The one near me has just a skimpy selection of current pressings by various artists...nothing spectaculer in the way of Beatles.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..that's what makes it desirable!:agree:

phillyal1 likes this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Your 'Hey Jude' album is called 'Past Masters 2' and tripled in length post-1987.

Adam9, Nathan Aaron and BlueJay like this.
  25. The Beave

Most uneducated posters here DON'T realize, or know because they aren't collectors of the Capitol albums that Capitol was updating the masters of the LP'S as they acquired better quality tapes/versions of songs.
    They just weren't sitting on their ass pressing up the same original pressing year after year.
    Again, if the Capitol haters were correct about the company's attitude this practice would never have happened.

But it DID and that actually makes collecting the Beatles US releases more, much more interesting as a hobby.
    There are many more variations of the US albums than the straight British issues.
    And you know what? I actually love both catalogs, really do! Its much more fun having both of them out there instead of just the british catalog, how FRIKING BORING would that be?
    A bunch of dry flat sounding albums with NO life to them??
    Pretty boring if you ask me, but again guy's, just my opinion, and in the scheme of things who cares about my opinion, its just friendly conversation.
    Beave

apple-richard and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.