"The Beatles Again" LP w/ Orig RARE Cover Art SOLD $12,988.88 !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

Last night- "THE BEATLES AGAIN" (1970) U.S. Apple Records LP with the Super RARE ORIGINAL ART WORK
    Sold for an Amazing $12,988.88 on eBay. This is extremely rare with only two copies known to exist!
    While the very rare LP cover art slicks have surfaced from time to time... There are just two actual finished, completed
    album covers made by Apple. There were 101 bids!
    Congratulations to the new owner!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    shutdown66 likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I knew this was rare but I didn't know it was only two known thus far.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

How can it be that there were only two made of a supposedly legitimate release? Were they hand-crafted by little old ladies in the back room? Sounds a bit fishy.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The article reads like Capitol did not make these, which I doubt it true.

5. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

What article is this?

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got it that Bruce was quoting an article or report sorry.

7. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Is there a link, please?

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Couldn't find anything on ebay, just a bunch of "rare" conventional copies.

Fred68 likes this.
  9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Of course this could exist. But it was in house at Capitol, probably hand made in house as a mock up. Could never have been actually released.
    I would need to know the provenance of the thing before I would bid more than a hundred. It should never have had a record in it. Its just logical.

10. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

According to several sources the labels for a certain first edition of the "Hey Jude"-album actually had "The Beatles again" on the label, as they were done before the name change. So the record may come from that edition.
    But in general I do not understand how someone could pay so much money for an album cover, that even looks ugly with that colour.....

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Of course. MY copy of Hey Jude had Beatles Again on the label.

12. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Interesting indeed. Alternate album graphics for 'The Beatles Again/Hey Jude' (including the one sold on eBay) are shown on page 189 0f Bruce Spizer's 'The Beatles on Apple Records'.

Hope for the sake of the buyer it's legit! No way of knowing it's not, but there is a known source for a fake cover: http://site.thebeatlesbutchershop.com/BEATLES-AGAIN-HEY-JUDE.html
    (Note: these guys do not sell boots, just readily acknowledged fictional covers for various albums and singles.)

Nick Dunning likes this.
  13. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

do you have a link to the auction?

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Y'know, IMHO, I think it'd be fine for Capitol/Apple/EMI/Universal to shut down that "Beatles Butcher Shop" site. Creating fake artwork is one issue, but using trademarked logos and such can't be kosher. In addition, as years roll on, these "gimmicks" will surely be passed around as "rare original rejected LP slicks from the 1960s."

Just riffing aloud here... But, Id wager the majority of your really hardcore Beatles' geeks were born in the '50s, '60s, and early '70s -- these are the folks who experienced Beatles' vinyl and all the original "product" firsthand. The original "product" is part of their youth and nostalgia. I think there will always be Beatles' geeks for generations to come, but it'll be much more concentrated solely on the music (as it should be).

So, in the year 2044, the "2nd press of 'Something New' from the Scranton, PA plant with numbers 45949" or whatever won't mean as much to generations who didn't experience these LPs firsthand. It won't be part of their collective nostalgia. Therefore, "pirates" and "gimmicks" like these will get lost in the mix as years roll on and passed off as "lost '60s artifacts" because the "passion" to know or care about the truth of these LP covers will have dwindled.

Just some thoughts/ideas from a hungover head....

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think the stuff the Butcher Shop creates is great, the work of creative folks who are obviously big fans of the group. Anybody dumb enough to pay through the nose for a "collectors item" that's one of its covers with a conventional record stuffed in deserves what they get. Plus, the Butcher Shop's covers are deliberately designed to avoid such a problem, too flimsy to accommodate a record.
    As a hardcore Beatles geek born in the 40s (you missed me), I love this stuff. We don't need the lawsuits.
    Have a drink and relax.

forthlin and CmoonL7 like this.
  16. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

I've always thought of the 'Beatles Butcher Shop' site as kind of cool/fun, but never could actually bring myself to buy anything. Maybe I'm naive, but until this eBay sale, it never occurred to me that these could be passed off as "legit". And of course at this point, none of us really know that what was purchased in this case is not legitimate.

I just tried doing a search on eBay for sold transactions on "The Beatles Again" and could not find the item mentioned by the OP.

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Well, I had that extra thirteen grand sitting around so I thought, why not.

Aftermath, Pennywise and Peter Pyle like this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

^^^Pretty much

19. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Man, I could go crazy on Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds music store with $12,988.

mpayan likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So this is the standard issued LP in a sleeve assembled for approval which was rejected?

21. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

I'd say the seller has a good reputation.

TLMusic and rstamberg like this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine still does!

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Yep. The eBay write up suggests that this is a Capitol mock-up of an alternate back cover design, illustrated at page of Bruce Spizer's Beatles on Apple Records at page 189, and suggests that a stock record with the initial label design with The Beatles Again (SO-385) was just added to it. Subsequent labels had Hey Jude as the title, with a revised stock number of SW-385.
    Lots of money for this!

24. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.