"The Beatles Again" LP w/ Orig RARE Cover Art SOLD $12,988.88 !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

In forty-four years, Apple has gone from wrong artwork to a misspelled name of a city.
    They are oh. so. close.

2. Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Having now seen the listing and based on the seller (Perry Cox, who co-authored the "Price Guide for the Beatles American Records" and operates beatles4me.com), I would say the buyer got a legit rarity!

Personally if I had that kind of money to spend on Beatles collectibles, my first purchases would be a Butcher cover and the 'Can't Buy Me Love' pic sleeve.

Edit - just saw Chris R.'s post - sorry for the redundancy!

forthlin likes this.
  4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

I am really amazed at all the cynicism, and criticism about the sale of this mega RARE original,
    and authentic Beatles item..... ? ?
    I thought this was a group of people who celebrated music and the wonders of the LP record album...

I have known of this complete constructed example for at least 40 years.
    It is very well documented, and known of to most serious collectors of the Beatles U.S. records.
    I said in my opening post there have been authentic album cover slicks for sale through the years,
    they are also extremely expensive and rare. The fact that only two constructed, complete examples are
    known to exist makes this an AMAZINGLY RARE piece of Beatles, and record collecting history.
    The sellers reputation is 100% rock solid. I have been a client for over ten years.

At a time when Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" hand written lyrics just brought a record $2,000,000.00 + ,
    and the actual movie prob statue of "The Maltese Falcon" bird sold last year for $4,000,000.00 +
    the price paid for this piece of incredible Beatles history is quite an investment.

5. Maranatha5585

Check this web site, the original authentic The Beatles Again cover slicks are for sale...
    Seller is also rock solid, been in around forever. Bottom of cover page on the right.

www.rockaway.com

6. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Once the actual link to the item was listed in post 21, what have you read here that you find cynical or critical?

7. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

And for the most part, we are as you describe us, while also being fully cognizant that there are a lot of unscrupulous individuals lurking on the web waiting to take advantage of people like us. As a practical matter, there are usually a number of questionable items for sale/auction on eBay.

Once we saw the eBay listing and who the seller was, several of us acknowledged that he, and the item, were legit. Unfortunately, based on your original posting, it was not possible to do so, thus the healthy skepticism.

No offense intended!

8. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Yep, Perry is stand up 100% of the way.
    This is a legit item and one I would like to have, but like others, I can think of other Beatle stuff I would like with that much moolah.
    Although I am pretty sure this was a broker deal. His 'junk' boxes are filled with stuff I would love to have.
    He's brokered a couple of my items. Usually adds at least 15% to the final sale price.

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Which is smart. You with 317 successful sales are going to be looked at with skepticism, whereas Perry selling this adds instant legitimacy. In my eyes that'd be worth his fee

10. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Lots of sellers include a regular stock copy of a record with a prototype or mockup of a cover,just as a seller will sometimes sell a test pressing in a commercially released cover.

11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Certainly legit, and as one of two copies, very much worth the money. But I agree with Harv, there are other Beatles collectibles I would rather have if I had 13k burning a hole in my pocket.

12. Maranatha5585

Sure... There are the endless rare acetates and Beattles 498's, Decca's, PS's, etc...
    But- to the real U.S. Beatles LP collector you can get those almost anytime, especially
    if you know where to look...

HOWEVER- you could only obtain this true "Beatles Again" album cover last night. Period.
    To the completist it was the only way to go.

13. bward

bward Senior Member

So, was this an album jacket someone bought day of release in a store?
    If so. Wouldn't more than 2 survive?
    Or is this a prototype cover produced by Cap/Apple/Abko that escaped the art department?
    Even after reading the description I'm not clear.
    I'm not questioning authenticity of the item, just trying to understand what it is.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I believe it is a prototype cover that escaped.

bward likes this.
  15. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Hope you don't mind me asking, but just out of curiosity, were you involved in the transaction?

16. I love to tell this story. Back in 1966 there was a record store in Hollywood Called Lewins Record Paradise. [ I know Steve remembers this store ]:sigh: Went in and saw Y&T it had the Butcher cover. Told him I would take one he said that was the only one he had that he had to send the others back because of the cover. Went back about a week or so later the new version was in bought that then noticed a bunch of the butcher covers. what I was looking at was a stack of maybe a couple of hundred cover slicks he was selling them for a $1.00 apiece so I bought two. They were the real deal wish I still had them

17. plus $12.00 for shipping

Aftermath and Shawn like this.
  18. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

19. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

And hopefully insured! :)

sewerdog likes this.
  20. Maranatha5585

No Harv, nothing to do with it, just an avid collector.
    I was watching the end... Some guy was in the lead, and got sniper shot the very last seconds.
    I thought it was absolutely news worthy because of the amount of Beatles collectors here.
    And, it was a very rare prototype, never for sale in a store. Actually, there is even another experimental
    cover slick that was never used... just a slick not a finished cover.

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Thanks for posting. Interesting story.

22. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

I wonder why this doesn't show up on sold items search for 'beatles again' ?

TLMusic likes this.
  23. Isn't it the back cover that's different here, with the cover identical to the commercial version?

24. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

So I just realised that Beatles collectors don't really care that much about music the band made.

EasterEverywhere and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.