"The Beatles Again" LP w/ Orig RARE Cover Art SOLD $12,988.88 !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maranatha5585, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Thanks Bruce. I think you received some of the comments and reactions you did as this seemed to have come out of nowhere (at least for me anyway), so the skeptic came out in me because there are a lot of counterfeit items out there. Other than the images in Spizer's book (as mentioned previously), not sure many of us even knew this to be in existence. Once we saw Perry Cox as the seller, it clearly changed things.

$13K for it, and here I am sweating the purchase price of the mono vinyl box coming out next week! :)

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Hahaha nice

pdenny likes this.
  3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yeah, to each his own, but cover variants such as this and the butcher cover have always been far down my personal list of items to collect. I'm always more interested in the record than the sleeve, although of course you want the sleeve to be as nice as it can be. But in this case, the guy basically spent $13,000 on the sleeve, and one that was in pretty tatty shape at that. Fair play to him, but not my bag.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm looking at the eBay listing on a smart phone, so maybe the entire listing does not show up. But am I the only one who would demand to see the other side of the cover for an item said to be this rare?

Where are the rest of the pictures?

And man this could have been an amazing Beatles album front cover had they left off the big ugly border, and had that photo full size on front. I have a Mexican EP with that photo in full size and it's very cool as a cover. I once posted a scan of it here.

5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

This description needs to be saved for posterity.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

no.nine, D.B., Bill and 1 other person like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

When you wield a broad brush, it's not hard to obscure the truth.

7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I see seven pictures attached to the ad. The other side of the cover has the usual Hey Jude artwork, with the lads standing in front of the door to John's house.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Highly regarded! yes...

9. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

That's just too much for shipping.

D.B. likes this.
  10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Perhaps they are test pressings..............

11. Jae

Jae Senior Member

That's brilliant!

12. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think we will never agree on the worth of a cover like that. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Ask record company people about the value of promos or white label pressings - and for them they are "unfinished product" or cheap promotional material. Ask certain fans and for them it's the holy grail.
    Same with this cover. Were the Beatles really involved in that at all ? Is it just a rejected first attempt by the record company ? Where exactly is the historical value?

There are lots of different and sometimes really existing album covers from samplers, that were released all around the world. But do they have historical value? For some it's yes - for some it's no.
    It's not my money, but I wish happiness to the person who spent so much money on this cover, that may equal this investment.

13. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Sitting at $22.50. Any takers?

14. bward

bward Senior Member

Hi Helmut,

I tend to agree with you. A prototype doesn't excite me like a pristine Butcher, 498, or Can't Buy Me Love sleeve.

I tend to go for things that were released in the 60's to the public.

I also don't have $13K to feed my Fab addiction.

But if I did, I'm not sure I'd be interested in this, at that price, either as it's a prototype, not a released cover.

That being said, that's just me.

I am thrilled for the collector who did purchase this. Good to see the hobby is still vibrant.

Helmut likes this.
  15. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

The butcher cover is iconic and has a story. The mentioned jacket is little more than a reject cover for a compilation album, having no real association to the band itself. To me that holds very little interest, it's rare for a reason. If JL had pinched a loaf in a broken toilet and it was discovered today, people would line up to own it.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

As a long time collector, I've known about this cover for a while. There are a few other 60's items of which only a handful are known to exist. The pink vinyl promo for A Hard Day's Night (one copy I believe is known - late night pressing plant fun, or an actual promo? I don't think it's ever been determined), the Anna "DJ8" promo (when originally discovered, the only two that were known to exist were traded by the owner of a record store in Redondo Beach CA for some Elvis promos - oops), the Alan Livingston sealed butcher covers, etc. All cool stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.