The Beatles almost reunited on March 27, 1979

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Eric Clapton and Patti Boyd were married on March 27, 1979. Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr attended the wedding and a major jam session took place following the ceremony.

According to Patti Boyd, John Lennon was not invited because she didn't think he would come and because of his visa problems in the USA. Half of this doesn't make sense because Lennon obtained his "green card" in 1976 and was traveling around the world at this point. Rumor has it, he would have attended had he known.

I'm starting this topic because it seems like were not getting the whole story here. Anybody have any other info or insight which might shed light on what might have been a truly great moment in history.

The rare photo is of Paul, Lonnie Donnegan, George and Ringo at the wedding. Wouldn't it have been great to see John in this photo too?

Yes, this is not 1981 or 1996. John was still alive when this pic was taken.

Attached Files:

2. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

You know, it seems like almost every picture I have seen of Macca with the other Beatles post breakup, he always has the most genuine smile on his face. You can tell he really cared about those guys.

GoodKitty and theMess like this.
  3. Lon, Paul, George & Ringo!

john lennonist and theMess like this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

In Peter Doggett's book You Never Give Me Your Money, Eric Clapton mentions that "John later phoned me to say that he would have been there too if he had known about it", but nobody thought to ask him.

Denny Laine said it's lucky that nobody taped the three Fabs and friends playing though because the music was "terrible, absolute rubbish". The drinks were flowing so this is probably one of those seemingly tantalizing things like the John and Paul studio reunion. It sounds fascinating on paper, but the reality..

Apparently they stumbled through "Get Back", 'Sgt. Pepper" and "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" among other songs.

Afterwards Ringo said "I feel that I want to do one like that again with just the four of us, once Sean Lennon is five and John starts playing again."

theMess likes this.
  5. helter

Which contradicts what Patti Boyd has said. Something is fishy here.........

I feel like their withholding info and not being straight with us.:realmad:

How could you "forget" to invite John while inviting the "other three"

6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Especially when Eric had performed with Lennon in Toronto (Live Peace in Toronto) and on the Stones Rock and Roll Circus performing "Yer Blues".

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Could that unfortunate camera flare be removed in photoshop?

Such a rare photo could use such love and care.

8. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Remember that Eric and also Patti were both drinking heavily in the late 70's. Not all exact details are going to be remembered from that time.

john lennonist likes this.
  9. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Looks like a double exposure to me, but agreed, needs some TLC on this shot.:righton:

10. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

[​IMG]

Heres another , but less defined.

11. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

It IS a double exposure.....well spotted!!!

Look into McCarneys eyes , then develop a "1000 yard stare" and look thru thru him and you'll see a well defind image of a baby underneath/on top of it.

Its a bit easier to see if you look at it a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A baby in a striped shirt...yes.

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Yeah, and I'm surprised at how much Ringo and George were smiling in Beatles post breakup photos, considering how badly they were treated by Macca in the past. They were very forgiving Beatles.

:)

john lennonist likes this.
  14. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Yep ....

The "wavy lines" I initially thought were part of a watermark/trademark imposed deliberatly on the photo are in fact part of the babys jumper.

I wonder who that baby is?

15. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I remember reading about this at the time in the Los Angeles Times or, maybe, Rolling Stone. The headline or introduction was "Three quarters of a dream came true". The article described a spontaneous gathering on an outdoor stage with different artists, including Mick Jagger, joining in. Eventually, it was just Paul, George, and Ringo. I can't find the article online or remember much more. I can't believe that there aren't more pictures somewhere - at least in private hands.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bet that 32 year-old baby's got 'em. :laugh:

17. Interesting story, I too would like to know why John was 'forgotten'. Is it possible that at the time you could only get John or Paul but not both together?

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

They look plenty smashed! Lonnie Donegan, the fourth Beatle, LOL! Considering how important he was to British teens of the '50s, I'm sure they were delighted to be with him.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If Patti and Eric had invited John, then they'd of had to invite Yoko too. You couldn't get one without the other.

End of story then for inviting John. It's as simple as that in my opinion. Just like (supposedly) when George invited John (but not Yoko) to appear at his Bangladesh Concert. Arnie

P.S. I firmly believe that all parties involved have made up with each other at the present time (in 2011), but back in 1979 there was still much tension with having Yoko around.

20. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

All the attendees were living in England at the time though right? In fact, I think at least George and Paul had places not too far from Eric's house. The whole affair was pretty casual so maybe the thought of asking John to fly over wasn't even considered.

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Cool, something else that can be blamed on Yoko. :goodie:

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I don't buy this.. or at least I'd need more info to be convinced.. I mean it was a wedding not a concert. Did Yoko do something to piss them off personally? I doubt it. Maybe she wasn't their favourite person in the world, but you'd have thought they could have overlooked that at a time like this..

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

At this time in 1979, John and George were very much on the outs with each other, so that certainly didn't help either. In addition, when the Beatles were inducted into the Rock-&-Roll Hall of Fame in the late 1980s, Paul couldn't see his way clear to attend since he was fighting at the time with the other Fabs. No, they had long simmering issues that would prevent them (at times) from dealing with each other, even in social settings, that they could not overlook. This was the case until probably the time of the Anthology project.

Arnie

P.S. And Paul also did NOT invite Yoko to attend the memorial for Linda in New York City in the late 1990s; And he also did not invite Yoko to his wedding with Heather Mills (sorry to bring her up); so these things still resonated for them into this past decade or so.

24. helter

I don't think Yoko had anything to do with it. If anybody should be pissed it's George. I mean Eric stole his wife and now he's going to "their wedding":realmad:

Details are missing and nobody's talking....

25. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Actually it's pretty obvious John and Paul would've gotten together a number of times to work on music post-Beatles had it not been for Yoko's determination that this was not going to happen. May Pang speaks in interviews about one of those times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.