The Beatles at the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pantofis, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member Thread Starter

Talk about awkward!
    What was up?
    Ringo Starr, was he drunk?
    George tries to be diplomatic, but comes across rather bitter. The laconic "quiet beatle" self-reference, jabs at Paul.
    Then, the two Lennon sons... Am I the only one who thinks their speeches were uncalled for?

http://youtu.be/NO-HK_csGwk

The Paul McCartney solo one is even more awkward...
    McCartney is weirdly out of character, though he's excused for the recent loss of his wife. And Stella's shirt...! Hysterical!
    The best is Paul's gesture at the end to his daughter "alright, you don't have to kiss your old man in public...come here!":laugh:

http://youtu.be/XgmHxU_v_34

The whole thing reminded me of the recent threads why the Beatles are never included in 60'es compilations. It seems that they viewed themselves as a class upon themselves. Still the thanks to Leadbelly and Little Richard seem heartfelt.

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Ironically, Paul was suing the others again at the time of the Beatles' induction to the R&RHOF, so he decided not to show. Yes, Ringo was drinking heavily then.

3. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

4. 905

905 Senior Member

Drunk 80s Ringo should of hosted the entire event.

5. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

And people on this forum wonder why some of us cannot stand his behavior. He shouldda been there.

Mackaveli likes this.
  6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

And some people are surprised that George's remarks about Paul come across as somewhat bitter? :confused:

What was he suing them over this time?

Apparently it wasn't enough that when the band extended the EMI/Capitol deal in the 80's he demanded (and received) higher royalties than the three others (I'm not talking about songwriting). :shake:

Mackaveli likes this.
  7. ...they ALL sued each other at one point in time. Does it matter? Really? :rolleyes:

Families have arguments...The Beatles ended up suing each other.

Regarding McCartney's higher royalty rate...it was tied to his SOLO albums AND Beatle releases.

Was it right that each of The Beatles regardless of how well their solo releases sold that they all shared in the profits?

There was so much skullduggery involved in their lives...if they can forgive each other it seems to me that WE can get over it.

8. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member Thread Starter

9. If he had been there he would have been criticized for showing up and pretending to be friends with the guys.

10. foxylady

foxylady Forum Resident

No, this time around the other three parties sued Paul, because EMI had offered, and he got, a tiny bit more from the Beatles records sales in order to have him stay on the label.

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

No matter what.

And he should have been in George's "When We Was Fab" video when George asked him.

Then again, I guess Paul was still somewhat bitter about holding together and driving the Beatles for the final 4 years or so resulting in the band's legendary status and accolades such as this.

But he should have been there...no matter what.

12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

He was receiving higher royalty rates but Capital didn't decrease the others royalty rates. They others were miffed and were suing Paul. Paul had every right to renegotiate HIS rates. As he said at the time, "we did break up." In the Rolling Stone article at the time, he said that he was hoping it would come to a head because he was damn sure, the others were going to lose.

13. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

This forum should be renamed "The McCartney Forum". Last 4 years? So that began in September of 1965 did it? Don't think so. Also don't think Paul "held together" the White Album ('68) or Sgt. Pepper (69). Both of those are surely group efforts. But this is not what this tread is about.

To the OP: Sean and Julian's speeches were fine. McCartney bringing Stella onstage so everyone could see her sour grapes T-shirt - what about that? Believe me, he knew what he was doing there. His speech was absolutely horrible. Wonder if Heather was watching?

14. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

If Paul didn't want to attend, then that's his business. The Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame is a joke anyway.

15. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

As with any truly big argument or "falling out" among siblings, even though the hostilities can become quite bitter and intense, there often is a fundamental love for one another that remains, however deeply, below the surface. Just a few short years after the R&R Hall of Fame induction, when they managed to decide that they should and could work together one last time for the Anthology project, it appeared that the old wounds were healed... although, as with most deep wounds, the scars remained. And the love? When George was dying, Paul let him spend his final days in his house in California, and was holding his hand by his bedside.

16. George and Ringo were a bit ticked off that Paul was receiving a higher royalty rate on his SOLO career and EMI offered to increase his Beatles one as well (or his lawyers negioated that to sweeten the deal) and sued him in relation to that. I understand why he didn't want to be there-i.e., if he had shown up someone would have brought up the lawsuit and the hypocrisy of his showing up and making nice while embroiled in a lawsuit with the others.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems to me that he would face the same criticism that he did when he "broke up" The Beatles and the lawsuits associated with Allen Klein (it doesn't matter that he was right about Klein and that suing helped move them out of Klein's clutches).

I felt that when McCartney brought up Stella it was a bit awkward because of her shirt but given that Linda was told by a good friend before she died that it wasn't likelly that McCartney was going to get into the RNRHOF in the immediate future unless he died, I'm not surprised.

What made the RNRHOF reconsider and add him evidently was the fact that Linda was good friends with a couple of critics that knew members of the committee (or were on there I can't recall) and that SHE died. A lot of those folks evidently like her quite a bit.

I find it kind of sad that Harrison died before he was inducted. It seems dying is a critieria for some people to get in.

Then again, as someone else pointed out, people often use the RNRHOF acceptance speech as an opportunity to bring up awkward points. It IS their day so they can do what they want even if it doesn't indicate good judgment on their part.

17. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

If I can change, and you can change, then everybody can change!

[​IMG]

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe you intended to type "Abbey Road (69)".

19. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Actually I meant to type (67) for Sgt. Pepper. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.